Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2019, 07:14 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,478,701 times

Advertisements

I noticed there are a lot of regions in America that may as well be the same city. Northeast Ohio. Southwest Ohio is moving in that direction. New Jersey outside of New York City. New Jersey outside of Philadelphia. Dallas/Ft. Worth. Georgia. California. Where does Northern Virginia fit into this equation? I know how it compares to Hampton Roads and Richmond MSA. But I am interested in hearing how it compares to similar situations in other states.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 08:54 AM

4,422 posts, read 4,326,095 times
I'd say the Northern Atlanta suburbs are probably the most similar to NOVA in terms of development, housing and diversity. Orange county has some similarities, though it's kind of in its own category.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:11 AM

9,405 posts, read 9,390,944 times
Tysons and King of Prussia are pretty much twins at this point.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:33 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,144 posts, read 7,616,764 times
NOVA equivalents across the country:

Northern NJ
Northern Dallas suburbs
Orange County, CA
Suburban North Atlanta
South Bay Area, CA
Montgomery County, MD

I think NOVA is a leader in diversity among these.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:40 AM

45,570 posts, read 60,845,911 times
I would have to say that the pretentiousness and self-importance of the named areas are similar with the edge to the Montgomery Counties in Maryland band Pennsylvania.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:49 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,107,883 times
NoVA is where the Sunbelt meets the modern mid-Atlantic. Its density levels and rail transit coverage (for inner NoVA anyway) are more similar to urban regions to the north whereas the newer built environment is pretty reminiscent of places in the Sunbelt. Old Town Alexandria somewhat sticks out like a sore thumb in a good way and is definitely something you don't see in a lot of other suburban regions. NoVA lacks an actual traditional city that acts as an urban anchor a la Camden, Newark/Jersey City, etc. which is pretty much a result of the DC area being mostly white collar.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:53 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,367,541 times
I think metro DC has a greater supply of upper middle class 5%ers than most places. It's less stratified than most of the high cost of living cities.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:41 PM

492 posts, read 538,693 times
Orange County, CA
North Atlanta Suburbs
North Dallas Suburbs
Are the closest I can thinknof..

Old 06-10-2019, 08:23 PM

142 posts, read 94,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
NoVA is where the Sunbelt meets the modern mid-Atlantic. Its density levels and rail transit coverage (for inner NoVA anyway) are more similar to urban regions to the north whereas the newer built environment is pretty reminiscent of places in the Sunbelt. Old Town Alexandria somewhat sticks out like a sore thumb in a good way and is definitely something you don't see in a lot of other suburban regions. NoVA lacks an actual traditional city that acts as an urban anchor a la Camden, Newark/Jersey City, etc. which is pretty much a result of the DC area being mostly white collar.

Agreed -- parts of NOVA do remind me of the area around Atlanta, but NOVA feels much more dense, at least in the inner suburbs. Also, Arlington, both the orange line stretch through Courthouse, Clarendon and Ballston and the Blue Line through Pentagon City and Crystal City is pretty dense, as you say, there isn't an anchor city, but walkable, dense neighborhoods with high-rise living.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:10 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,225,033 times
Combo of Northern ATL Burbs and parts of suburban Philly away from the Main Line. The Tysons/King of Prussia parallel is on the money. The extensive and massive defense contractor presence throughout NOVA gives me a taste of Orange County/South Bay LA county in some ways as well. Tysons also reminds me of the area around South Coast Plaza in OC as well. This has nothing to do with anything, but I used to drive by Northrop Grumman’s offices in Redondo Beach all the time and see their HQ from the train during my commute to Tysons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City