Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 08:18 PM

413 posts, read 437,773 times

Advertisements

hmmm kinda tricky to answer but I would say Richmond,Va so much potential always loved that city.....to a lesser extent Memphis Tn as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 02:22 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
My city, Phoenix. I love it, but it's the whipping boy of this forum

Old 06-17-2019, 02:38 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
My city, Phoenix. I love it, but it's the whipping boy of this forum
It's true. Chalk it up to pure ignorance, combined with a large dose of bias.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:02 PM

291 posts, read 377,730 times
Definitely Omaha,NE & Sioux Falls,SD for me. People look at me like I'm crazy when I say this but I like both these places better than my home town in NW Arkansas which is consistently voted one of the most desirable places to live. I also adore Salt Lake City while many of my friends say they would not want to live in Utah.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:11 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
People on CD most often like urban cities. Go figure.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:11 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
DC, LA, SF, NYC, Miami. I feel like, generally, people think these cities are too expensive, cost of living, etc.

For me, the cost of living adjustments are worth it.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:03 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Several votes for Richmond here, which I just want to add, is only panned as nondesirable in City Data Bizarro World...

Old 06-18-2019, 07:25 AM

12,840 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Several votes for Richmond here, which I just want to add, is only panned as nondesirable in City Data Bizarro World...
Have many people here said it isn't desirable?

I ask because I've never heard much (if anything) bad about it. That said, Richmond is kind of in that unique place of being big enough that people know of it, but small enough that it doesn't stand out in people's minds like the major cities and it doesn't have the "hype" that places like Nashville, Portland, Austin, etc. have. I'd happily apply the "underrated" label to Richmond - it's an awesome city. I really enjoy it. But I can't think of anyone who has called it undesirable.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:57 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Have many people here said it isn't desirable?

I ask because I've never heard much (if anything) bad about it. That said, Richmond is kind of in that unique place of being big enough that people know of it, but small enough that it doesn't stand out in people's minds like the major cities and it doesn't have the "hype" that places like Nashville, Portland, Austin, etc. have. I'd happily apply the "underrated" label to Richmond - it's an awesome city. I really enjoy it. But I can't think of anyone who has called it undesirable.
Oh, it's been called undesirable on this site in threads that feature it. It's been called dirty, crime-ridden, small, old southern (spoken as a pejorative), etc...

So my point was just I've rarely, if ever, heard it spoken of in the same fashion off line. I will say it appears to have a more positive than negative reputation on here overall, but there's a certain personality on here that doesn't hesitate to slam Richmond in its feature threads...

My real world experience is the same as yours, people know about Richmond, and away from the East Coast, it is typically the first (and sometimes only) city that people think of when Virginia is mentioned!

Old 06-18-2019, 09:36 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Most of my Ohio friends think it's weird that I like Cleveland more than Columbus and Cincinnati.

Off this forum, a lot of people have negative views of Philly and Pittsburgh still, but I love both. Philly is changing for people who actually know cities, but some people still have extremely negative views of it.

I also like Chicago and Baltimore because I enjoy the history and local culture of both. But the media hypes up Chicago's issues so people unfamiliar with it think it's a giant war zone. Baltimore definitely has its issues, more so than Chicago IMO, but I still enjoyed the few times I was there but other people think I'm crazy for having actually enjoyed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City