Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 10:56 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
You mean Allegheny City. Manchester is a current neighborhood that's part of the North Side. All extremley close to downtown Pgh, so that annexation probably didn't surprise anyone back in 1906, although Allegheny residents mostly opposed, it apparently.
I believe it is true that Manchester was an independent borough annexed by Allegheny City before Allegheny City was annexed by Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 11:08 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I believe it is true that Manchester was an independent borough annexed by Allegheny City before Allegheny City was annexed by Pittsburgh.

Oh, could be, but I was correcting the notion that Manchester was the entire current North Side. I'm guessing she was probably thinking of the Allegheny annexation, since that annexation is much more well known, and basically was the whole north side which she alluded to.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:59 PM

170 posts, read 176,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I don't at all see how it's "self expanatory" that sunbelt cities are seen an "not desirable". While some people like seasons, I'd say it's completely fair to say most people love warmer places with less snow significantly more. Especially places like Dallas, Atlanta, and Charlotte. These places are praised on this website regularly, and to say otherwise would just be foolish. Not only that, the population growth alone tells us that regardless of what the hardcore urban critics on this site say, most people find these places attractive. Phoenix might stand out more and be frowned upon due to its majority suburban layout with a virtually non-existent urban core, but most cities in the sunbelt, I laugh when someone says they're largely viewed as "undesirable", unless we're talking about maybe Shreveport, LA, McAllen, TX, or Little Rock, AR. Otherwise, they basically are viewed as the most prime moving destinations in the entire country. Even Phoenix and its suburban reputation, is handily one of the fastest growing cities/metros in the entire country, and most people agree while it can get very hot there, it's still overall a nicer place weather-wise than Milwaukee.
Phoenix is nicer weather-wise from October to April but Milwaukee is nicer from May to September.
Weekend forecast:

1. Milwaukee
Sat - Partly Cloudy - High 77F
Sun - Partly Cloudy - High 78F

2. Phoenix
Sat - Partly Cloudy - High 111F
Sun - Partly Cloudy - High 110F

Plus Wisconsin has:

1. The most beautiful state capitol building in the country
2. Miller Park - MLBs tailgating mecca and winner of ESPNs battle of the ballparks
3. Fiserv Forum - Shiny new NBA arena. The NBA's most impressive and most advanced arena according to Yahoo Sports.
4. Lambeau Field - The #1 NFL football stadium according to USA Today
5. Madison - The Best College Sports Town in USA according to USA Today and ESPN
6. Great Golf - The #3 golf state in USA according to Golf Advisor
7. Road America - The best road race course in North America and possibly the world (4 miles, 14 corners)
8. Summerfest - The biggest music festival in the World (11 Days, 11 Stages)
9. EAA Air Adventure in Oshkosh - The biggest air show in the World
10. The Great River Road Scenic Byway - Voted the "Prettiest Drive in America" per the Huffington Post
11. Wisconsin Dells - The Waterpark Capital of the World
12. Lake Michigan - An ocean like view
13. More lakes (15,074)
14. A High Quality of Life according to U.S. News (3rd in US)
15. A Lower Homicide Rate (3.2 vs 5.9 per 100,000)
16. A Lower Unemployment Rate (2.9% vs 5.0%)
17. A beautiful riverfront and lakefront in Milwaukee with boat tours
18. Chicago in it's backyard
19. Great Cheese Curds, Friday Fish Fries, Real Custard
20. The Bronz Fonz
21. Brewery Tours with free samples
22. Milwaukee Art Museum
23. Harley-Davidson Museum

Old 06-28-2019, 11:09 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Milwaukee weather is vastly more tolerable than Phoenix, at least for some of us.
I like Phoenix. Nice scenery and all. Clean, especially when compared to other parts of the west and southeastern portions of the country. Trendy places are often trashy places. I don’t get that.
Oh, the heat.... it’s nuts.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:50 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Chicago easily. While the corruption part is true, the crime part is way overblown and exaggerated by the media several times over. The nice parts of the city are extremely beautiful and hard to find any place else.

Another one would be Cleveland.
Chicago for sure. I work in the hotel business downtown. When travelers ask me if it is safe to walk around, it takes everything in me to keep from laughing in their faces. Chicago for the most part is safe. It is very clean and absolutely gorgeous.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
You live in Cleveland and have never been to Pittsburgh? How long have you been here? That's like living in Dallas and never seeing Ft. Worth. Definitely go to Pittsburgh, very nice, stay overnight and spend 2 or 3 days.

Exaggerating just a bit? lol. Dallas and Ft. Worth are only 30 miles apart. Pittsburgh and Cleveland are 120 miles apart, and even in different geographic regions and census regions. There are quite a few people in Pittsburgh who've never been to Cleveland, and I'm sure the vice versa is true as well. I think most people from the two cities visit each other for one of two things - sports or business. So if people don't have a reason for those, they don't go.

Cleveland and Akron would be the Dallas/Ft. Worth comparison.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Oh, could be, but I was correcting the notion that Manchester was the entire current North Side. I'm guessing she was probably thinking of the Allegheny annexation, since that annexation is much more well known, and basically was the whole north side which she alluded to.
Yes, "she" is well aware it wasn't the whole North Side and was aware of that when she posted.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, "she" is well aware it wasn't the whole North Side and was aware of that when she posted.

Well the way you wrote it certainly made it sound like Manchester was the whole North Side. you can go back and look. I wasn't being critical, didn't mean to bruise your ego, it was just a minor correction which is nothing to get upset about

Old 06-29-2019, 05:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Well the way you wrote it certainly made it sound like Manchester was the whole North Side. you can go back and look. I wasn't being critical, didn't mean to bruise your ego, it was just a minor correction which is nothing to get upset about
For Pity's Sake, give it a rest! No, I'm not going back and parsing every word. This isn't even a Pittsburgh forum. Most of the posters on here have probably never been to Pittsburgh, have no idea what we're talking about it. And why are you accusing me of being upset? You and eschaton went on and on without a reply from me till now.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:48 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,732,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott53051 View Post
Phoenix is nicer weather-wise from October to April but Milwaukee is nicer from May to September.
Weekend forecast:

1. Milwaukee
Sat - Partly Cloudy - High 77F
Sun - Partly Cloudy - High 78F

2. Phoenix
Sat - Partly Cloudy - High 111F
Sun - Partly Cloudy - High 110F

Plus Wisconsin has:

1. The most beautiful state capitol building in the country
2. Miller Park - MLBs tailgating mecca and winner of ESPNs battle of the ballparks
3. Fiserv Forum - Shiny new NBA arena. The NBA's most impressive and most advanced arena according to Yahoo Sports.
4. Lambeau Field - The #1 NFL football stadium according to USA Today
5. Madison - The Best College Sports Town in USA according to USA Today and ESPN
6. Great Golf - The #3 golf state in USA according to Golf Advisor
7. Road America - The best road race course in North America and possibly the world (4 miles, 14 corners)
8. Summerfest - The biggest music festival in the World (11 Days, 11 Stages)
9. EAA Air Adventure in Oshkosh - The biggest air show in the World
10. The Great River Road Scenic Byway - Voted the "Prettiest Drive in America" per the Huffington Post
11. Wisconsin Dells - The Waterpark Capital of the World
12. Lake Michigan - An ocean like view
13. More lakes (15,074)
14. A High Quality of Life according to U.S. News (3rd in US)
15. A Lower Homicide Rate (3.2 vs 5.9 per 100,000)
16. A Lower Unemployment Rate (2.9% vs 5.0%)
17. A beautiful riverfront and lakefront in Milwaukee with boat tours
18. Chicago in it's backyard
19. Great Cheese Curds, Friday Fish Fries, Real Custard
20. The Bronz Fonz
21. Brewery Tours with free samples
22. Milwaukee Art Museum
23. Harley-Davidson Museum

Phoenix may be hot in the summer but the high country of Arizona is a mere 2 hours away, Flagstaff is 81 tomorrow and Milwaukee is 77.

And Arizona has:

1. Sedona, ranked as one of the most beautiful places on earth.
2. Havasupai falls, also ranked as one of the most beautiful places on earth.
3. Monument valley
4. Canyon de Chelly
5. The Grand Canyon
6. Phoenix is home to Taliesin West where FLW retired and his architecture school continues today.
7. Phoenix itself is an IMBA bronze riding center recognized for the sheer quality and quantity of singletrack trails surrounding the immediate city.
8. The Phoenix Open, the best show on turf and more fun than any other golf tournament.
9. Amazing golf, ranking #7 in the state ahead of Wisconsin at #8 according to golf links magazine.
10. State Farm Stadium, which Business Week voted State Farm Stadium one of the top ten sports facilities in the world in 2006. In 2010, State Farm Stadium was named "Best New Venue" of the 2000's by SI.com.
11. El Tour de Tucson cycling road race, one of the largest in the US attracting over 7,000 riders each year.
12. The Arizona Biltmore, just one of FLW's local gems.
13. The world's largest Arabian horse festival held each year in Scottsdale.
14. Spring training every March.
15. College bowl season culminating in the Fiesta Bowl.
16. Arizona car collector week highlighted by Barrett Jackson Scottsdale.
17. The world's largest musical instrument collection at MIM.
18. The Heard museum
19. Still enjoying the world's first wave pool at Big Surf Tempe
20. Amazing Mexican food be modern concepts like Bario Cafe or old world favorites like El Charro Cafe
21. The fastest growing city in the country
22. All 4 major pro sports
23 Los Angeles, San Diego and LA are right down the street.
24. Amazing views from atop Arizona's tallest mountain at 12,633'
25. Pizzeria Bianco which has been rated as the best pizza in the United States by Bon Appetit, Vogue, Rachel Ray, Andrew Zimmern and has been recognized by Martha Stewart, Oprah Winfrey, GQ and Gourmet.
26. Arizona Wilderness Brewery, ranked as the best new brewery in the country in 2014.
27. Country Thunder Arizona, In 2018, named Festival of the Year by the Academy of Country Music.
28. Lower crime in the biggest city, 45 per 1000 residents in PHX versus 55 per 1000 in MKE.
29. The largest Harley Davidson dealer in the world.
30. The vast and incredible southwest landscapes at our back door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City