Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 04:34 PM

345 posts, read 810,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I may be biased, but Minneapolis. Most Americans either know little (or nothing) about the city, or simply write it off as an undesirable place due to the winters.

A lot of people seem to not realize that it's a very modern, progressive, generally upscale city.
funny you mention that one because city-data has a very positive perception of minneapolis based on all the polls, from what i have noticed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 04:47 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Atlanta, Phoenix

Old 06-11-2019, 04:51 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,140 times
Houston
Phoenix

Old 06-11-2019, 05:32 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
funny you mention that one because city-data has a very positive perception of minneapolis based on all the polls, from what i have noticed
Agreed, Minneapolis is seen as desirable to most people on this site. I also don't understand why so many popular sunbelt cities like Phoenix, Houston, and Charlotte are popping up so much here. Tons of people love all of these places, hence their rapid population growth. It seems many people here aren't even reading the entirety of OP's post/question.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:06 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Recently I've been able to discover Richmond VA and think it's a pretty nice place. I know that alot of folks think it's ghetto and poor but it's actually pretty nice with a very urban core and quaint neighborhoods with a thriving brewery and dining scene.
So you owe me some apologies from a few years back when I told you how great Richmond is and you argued trying to downplay a city that you didn't even know at the time lol...

Old 06-11-2019, 07:49 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
So you owe me some apologies from a few years back when I told you how great Richmond is and you argued trying to downplay a city that you didn't even know at the time lol...
Lol.. I dont think I ever talked negatively about Richmond... I think I mostly commented regarding the "southern" cultural border. If I did though then sure

Old 06-11-2019, 08:13 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Lol.. I dont think I ever talked negatively about Richmond... I think I was more or less indifferent in my opinion. If I did though then sure
Lol you're probably right...

Now you see what I mean when I've also said, Richmond is southern, but definitely not in the prototypical way people think of the South in current times? I remember we also had some convos around that, and as someone who spent part of my upbringing between NoVa and Greater Rich, I've always said the city of Richmond is not that far removed on the spectrum of northern/southern sensibilities from NoVa. I noticed this as an adolescent.....the two areas have always been more similar than the common person on this nutty website believes...

Old 06-11-2019, 08:34 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lol you're probably right...

Now you see what I mean when I've also said, Richmond is southern, but definitely not in the prototypical way people think of the South in current times? I remember we also had some convos around that, and as someone who spent part of my upbringing between NoVa and Greater Rich, I've always said the city of Richmond is not that far removed on the spectrum of northern/southern sensibilities from NoVa. I noticed this as an adolescent.....the two areas have always been more similar than the common person on this nutty website believes...
I know we're straying off topic but I still feel as though I'm in the South here in Richmond vs. being in Nova. The biggest giveaway is the Southern accents here being pretty common whereas you never hear it in Nova. Also you see Confederate flags flying high and proudly around here. It's definitely not the South like when I lived in Atlanta though... more of a Southern light. This doesnt take away the fact that I am really enjoying Richmond.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:58 PM

11,054 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Scranton PA, Akron OH, Worcester MA.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:03 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
On City-Data it might be just because the people who participate here are a little more in-the-know, but the general population of the US certainly isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Agreed, Minneapolis is seen as desirable to most people on this site. I also don't understand why so many popular sunbelt cities like Phoenix, Houston, and Charlotte are popping up so much here. Tons of people love all of these places, hence their rapid population growth. It seems many people here aren't even reading the entirety of OP's post/question.
I think it's self-explanatory why most Sunbelt cities aren't considered desirable. Lack of charm, auto-centric, sprawling, boring, unwalkable, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City