Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 10:14 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times

Advertisements

Twin Cities, Houston, Phoenix and Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 10:41 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post

I think it's self-explanatory why most Sunbelt cities aren't considered desirable. Lack of charm, auto-centric, sprawling, boring, unwalkable, etc.
I don't at all see how it's "self expanatory" that sunbelt cities are seen an "not desirable". While some people like seasons, I'd say it's completely fair to say most people love warmer places with less snow significantly more. Especially places like Dallas, Atlanta, and Charlotte. These places are praised on this website regularly, and to say otherwise would just be foolish. Not only that, the population growth alone tells us that regardless of what the hardcore urban critics on this site say, most people find these places attractive. Phoenix might stand out more and be frowned upon due to its majority suburban layout with a virtually non-existent urban core, but most cities in the sunbelt, I laugh when someone says they're largely viewed as "undesirable", unless we're talking about maybe Shreveport, LA, McAllen, TX, or Little Rock, AR. Otherwise, they basically are viewed as the most prime moving destinations in the entire country. Even Phoenix and its suburban reputation, is handily one of the fastest growing cities/metros in the entire country, and most people agree while it can get very hot there, it's still overall a nicer place weather-wise than Milwaukee.

Last edited by CCrest182; 06-11-2019 at 10:59 PM..

Old 06-11-2019, 10:47 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
I think it's self-explanatory why most Sunbelt cities aren't considered desirable. Lack of charm, auto-centric, sprawling, boring, unwalkable, etc.
They are hardly considered undesirable in the real world. If that were the case, they wouldn't be growing at the rate they are. People and companies vote with their feet.

The Twin Cities have as much autocentric sprawl as any Sunbelt Metro as well.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:59 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
The Twin Cities have as much autocentric sprawl as any Sunbelt Metro as well.
All metros do. However, Sunbelt metros in general lack cohesive historic urban inner cities.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:02 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Quote:
All metros do. However, Sunbelt metros in general lack cohesive historic urban inner cities.
Doesn't really matter. Many view Phoenix as "Paradise" due to the weather and scenery alone. Just because the urban core there is lacking doesn't mean it's "undesirable". If anything, it's seen as one of the most desirable cities in the U.S. Again I point to the rapid population growth being seen there. The same is true of almost every other major sun belt city.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
And you know this how? Just exactly how many have you personally visited and experienced?

The Sunbelt is massive, and is hardly monolithic. Neither are any of its Cities.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:38 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And you know this how? Just exactly how many have you personally visited and experienced?

The Sunbelt is massive, and is hardly monolithic. Neither are any of its Cities.
I think its more people trend of comparing Sunbelt cities to the big 5 NE cities which are unique in their urban layouts as they were built before the modern car... so it's a bit of a unfair comparison

Old 06-12-2019, 05:44 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,385,526 times
San Fran and San Diego. People look down at them but I think they are "hella"ok. get it

Old 06-12-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I think its more people trend of comparing Sunbelt cities to the big 5 NE cities which are unique in their urban layouts as they were built before the modern car... so it's a bit of a unfair comparison
She's made the same observation before, but never backs it up. It's like a drive by swipe at a region she clearly knows nothing about.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:53 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Pittsburgh (beloved on C-D, not so much in the real world), Milwaukee, Baltimore, New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City