Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2019, 08:58 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Milwaukee.
Minneapolis.
Kansas City.
I think Milwaukee, while it doesn't get too much crap, does often get overlooked by Madison, Chicago, and even other smaller Wisconsin cities like Duluth and Green Bay. I would agree that's seen as undesirable in some ways.

Minneapolis though definitely, outside of the cold reputation, really doesn't get all that much flack.

Kansas City also doesn't get that much flack, but also isn't praised a whole hell of a lot either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 09:03 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
San Fran and San Diego. People look down at them but I think they are "hella"ok. get it
In my experience, I never heard anyone looking down on San Fran and San Diego nor have i read negative comments on those cities. They're constantly praised all the time by the national media and the masses.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:39 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
Some are obviously desirable such as NYC, Boston, Toronto, etc., but once you get to the mid-tier sized cities, it becomes subjective. What cities do you personally think are desirable although that doesn't seem to be the popular opinion?
Las Cruces,Roswell and Alamogordo,New Mexico,Phoenix and Yuma,Arizona,Abilene,Texas,Lubbock, Texas,Waco,Texas,El Paso, and San Angelo, Texas are desirable to me.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:17 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I think Milwaukee, while it doesn't get too much crap, does often get overlooked by Madison, Chicago, and even other smaller Wisconsin cities like Duluth and Green Bay. I would agree that's seen as undesirable in some ways.

Minneapolis though definitely, outside of the cold reputation, really doesn't get all that much flack.

Kansas City also doesn't get that much flack, but also isn't praised a whole hell of a lot either.
I’ve come across people who tried to equate Milwaukee with Detroit, with no praise intended. They had never been there, and it showed.
Having lived much of my life in the south, people there assume Minneapolis is basically uninhabitable.
Kansas City simply isn’t on a lot of people’s radar. No mountains, no ocean. Supposedly isolated and boring.
I actually lived there several years and never got bored of the city. I also never wished I had another major city nearby so I could do basically the same exact stuff from a slightly different angle.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:42 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Quote:
Chicago easily. While the corruption part is true, the crime part is way overblown and exaggerated by the media several times over. The nice parts of the city are extremely beautiful and hard to find any place else.

Another one would be Cleveland.
I can't really agree unless you can present some FBI crime stats vs. say 20 other metro areas with over 1 million residents. NYC and L.A. were once much worse than Chi town and in the news all the time. But you just don't see the reports the last ten years that you did in the late 20th century.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:09 AM

East Coast -Philly and Pittsburgh are underrated. Both have stemmed the tide of out-migration.

Southeast - Hard to say, as this is a growth region but growth is really skewed toward the eastern half of the region. Not sure if any are under-rated. Some really could be deemed overrated. Of those that might be better than most think - Greenville, SC, Huntsville, AL and Clemson. I thought about Savannah and Asheville NC but they are tourist destinations.

Southwest, including Texas, Oklahoma, NM and AZ,, I think maybe Tucson and ABQ.

Midwest - Louisville, Traverse City, Mi and Duluth, MN.

Rockies - Fort Collins, hands down.

West Coast -Santa Cruz, CA, Santa Rosa, CA, Salem, OR,

Old 06-15-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Doesn't really matter. Many view Phoenix as "Paradise" due to the weather and scenery alone. Just because the urban core there is lacking doesn't mean it's "undesirable". If anything, it's seen as one of the most desirable cities in the U.S. Again I point to the rapid population growth being seen there. The same is true of almost every other major sun belt city.
many? why is 112 degrees desirable? Scenery? Its got nothing green, few trees and mountains are not like those of the Rockies, west coast or Appalachia. Its growth is because Cali has become unaffordable. Tucson is more attractive as is Albuquerque.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Las Cruces,Roswell and Alamogordo,New Mexico,Phoenix and Yuma,Arizona,Abilene,Texas,Lubbock, Texas,Waco,Texas,El Paso, and San Angelo, Texas are desirable to me.

Lubbock...no, Waco...I don't see an underrated but getting better. Honestly, every time I pass through Waco, I can't understand why this town is NOT doing a lot better. Has a big river passing through it, Has Baylor University, is 90 miles from Dallas or Austin and 45 minutes from Fort Hood and is on heavily-traveled I-35. The downtown isn't bad looking But I driven around the city several times and while crime is not a big problem, many neighborhood just look worn out. If they could get another major employer, I think things would really take off.

El Paso is getting better. San Angelo is the most underrated.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:40 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
I think Milwaukee, while it doesn't get too much crap, does often get overlooked by Madison, Chicago, and even other smaller Wisconsin cities like Duluth and Green Bay.
Duluth is in Minnesota, not Wisconsin.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:05 AM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
many? why is 112 degrees desirable? Scenery? Its got nothing green, few trees and mountains are not like those of the Rockies, west coast or Appalachia. Its growth is because Cali has become unaffordable. Tucson is more attractive as is Albuquerque.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Tucson, I've never visited but it appears greener than Phoenix but in terms of characteristics, San Antonio is like an inland San Diego, i.e. an economy reliant on tourism and military installations. Its more in size (1.4million residents) with Phoenix that lacking in big suburbs. It has a distinct latin flavor like Tuscon and its best scenery is to the northwest.
You clearly stated in another thread that you've never been to Tucson, so how can you claim it is more attractive than any other city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City