Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Skyline Rules the Southern Skies! ( don't forget to Rank them)
Atlanta' s 57 44.88%
Houston's 40 31.50%
Dallas's 25 19.69%
Austin's 4 3.15%
It's so hard, I can't decide 1 0.79%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 06:58 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Well folks , You all have Spoken, Atlanta has Won this thread, and has The Best Skyline in the South (besides miami) , Texans need to stand down, because Nothing in Texas can hold a candle to Atlanta, So everybody reading this thread, Stand Up right Now wherever you are and give Atlanta a Hand for building the Best and Most Beautiful Skyline The South has ever seen in quite some time...
After the poll closes....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 07:12 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Exactly! But who takes a city data poll and make it factual anyway? I didn’t even vote because I would have been bias. The vast majority of the votes were probably from homers. If you have more homers, you can easily win a poll...it’s fairly simple logic.

The OP said nothing in Texas can hold a candle to Atlanta’s skyline. I’m not trying to be shady but Houston’s skyline is much taller and more impressive than Atlanta’s skyline. If we were just to consider the amount of buildings...Houston wins easily. BTW Atlanta’s skyline isn’t even leaps ahead of Dallas’.
I didn't vote either. I participate in lots of threads with polls but don't actually vote even when I have a clear favorite.

I really find all this talk about which skyline trounces another and similar language to be a bit silly myself when it comes to those within the same general weight class. There are several ways to judge skylines and the most we can do is make our case based on our preferences. For some, a taller skyline with more buildings automatically wins. Others give more weight to things like architecture, arrangement of buildings, orientation of the skyline, natural setting, etc. It's about as subjective of an exercise as can be for the most part.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:24 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Bet you if it was a head to head between Houston and Atlanta or Dallas and last that ATL would lose both times.
I doubt that very seriously. I know people can be homers when it comes to skylines especially, but it would be more competitive than you think.

Quote:
I find that Dallas skyline is more iconic than Atlanta and Houston to be more impressive.
Reunion Tower is the only building in Dallas's skyline that comes closest to being iconic, and even then I don't think it quite meets that bar. Even so, I don't think that a singular building makes an entire skyline iconic. I can see why Houston's skyline is more impressive than Atlanta's for some, but for me the preponderance of 70's/early 80's architecture and the bulky proportions of many of its towers kinda detracts from it.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:19 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Exactly! But who takes a city data poll and make it factual anyway? I didn’t even vote because I would have been bias. The vast majority of the votes were probably from homers. If you have more homers, you can easily win a poll...it’s fairly simple logic.

The OP said nothing in Texas can hold a candle to Atlanta’s skyline. I’m not trying to be shady but Houston’s skyline is much taller and more impressive than Atlanta’s skyline. If we were just to consider the amount of buildings...Houston wins easily. BTW Atlanta’s skyline isn’t even leaps ahead of Dallas’.
Which is why there was a cap on skylines in the first place.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:20 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,846 times
Quote:

That was an idiotic statement for the OP make. However, I’m a poster that gives credit where credit is due. And it’s my personal opinion that Atlanta’s skyline is more unique, impressive, and iconic relative to Houston’s or Dallas’.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/atlanta-p...-sandy-springs

Old 06-16-2019, 10:29 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Atlanta's skyline is to sparse and spread out. Even with downtown and midtown together it still small and again the major talks are way to far apart. For me it's:
Dallas
Houston
Austin-Atlanta.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:51 PM

69 posts, read 78,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Atlanta's skyline is to sparse and spread out. Even with downtown and midtown together it still small and again the major talks are way to far apart. For me it's:
Dallas
Houston
Austin-Atlanta.

You call this sparse?

Old 06-16-2019, 11:56 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Dallas is more fun to look at especially at night. Lit like a Christmas tree
Houston has the powerful look that towers over the rest of the city and tells you what type of city you have just entered into. As much as people talk about driving into downtown on 45 South, I think coming up 288 North has a better view.
Atlanta has better architecture and a better setting within the trees.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:28 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Dallas
Houston
Austin-Atlanta.
LOL! You need to take this Comedy Show on the road. Atlanta's skyline at a minimum is as impressive as (if not more so) than where you live, especially considering it's three times the size.

In the real world:
Atlanta
Houston
Dallas
Austin

Old 06-17-2019, 04:24 AM

69 posts, read 78,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
LOL! You need to take this Comedy Show on the road. Atlanta's skyline at a minimum is as impressive as (if not more so) than where you live, especially considering it's three times the size.

In the real world:
Atlanta
Houston
Dallas
Austin

Truthfully we may have less buildings than Dallas and Houston, but what we have looks damn good.

Recent drone photo of Midtown and Downtown Atlanta
Photo Credit Me:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City