Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Skyline
I just can't decide 16 5.35%
Charlotte has the better one 234 78.26%
Nashville has the better one 49 16.39%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 11:16 PM

3,407 posts, read 2,210,704 times

Advertisements

This is an overhead shot of Nashville/Charlotte I composed to the same scale of 300m/1000ft (scale meter is cropped out) Just to give a visual reference in density and developmental spread of both cities

Old 06-20-2019, 07:58 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I think he is referring to Charlotte having more of a clustered skyline rather than an expansive skyline like Nashville. Nashville has shorter towers, but has a Midtown/West End that Charlotte lacks that expands its skyline, especially from a distance. Had Midtown/West End allowed taller towers then Nashville would be pretty impressive as is.
That's still no justification for saying Charlotte has a "rather small" skyline. That's just not objectively true.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:11 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,335,935 times
Quote:
I think he is referring to Charlotte having more of a clustered skyline rather than an expansive skyline like Nashville. Nashville has shorter towers, but has a Midtown/West End that Charlotte lacks that expands its skyline, especially from a distance. Had Midtown/West End allowed taller towers then Nashville would be pretty impressive as is.

Well, Charlotte also has such tall office towers tightly compact, it makes 25 floor residential/hotel buildings look so insignificant and most people cut them out of the frame.

With cities with more residential or smaller skylines, you can zoom in further or smaller 20 floor residential towers look part of the ongoing skyline. Charlotte looks much bigger when zoomed in and you see "
Oh.... Look at all those 20-50 floor residential/hotel buildings my eyes don't notice when zoomed way out and I'm looking at large office towers with huge floor plates"

In the picture below. The clouds chop off some of the taller buildings. If you were to cut off the height of some of the tallest buildings, it would look more cohesive with the short towers surrounding.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/up-bucket-0...a1a63fa0c0.JPG

Also the picture below shows how dense uptown is. A very compact skyline, which people (unless you visit) generally don't notice because pictures of the skyline are zoomed out and focused on the tallest core of towers and not all the infill surrounding them

https://nwrliving.com/assets/images/...80c666dae2.jpg

Old 06-20-2019, 04:20 PM

687 posts, read 473,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post

This is an overhead shot of Nashville/Charlotte I composed to the same scale of 300m/1000ft (scale meter is cropped out) Just to give a visual reference in density and developmental spread of both cities
That's actually an older picture of Charlotte. A lot of those construction spots are now built up with buildings on them. Especially along Stonewall st.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:14 PM

3,407 posts, read 2,210,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
That's actually an older picture of Charlotte. A lot of those construction spots are now built up with buildings on them. Especially along Stonewall st.
I figured as much, it was more of sense of scale...

I agree with you though there's no denying the city is growing at quick rate

Old 06-21-2019, 08:33 AM

9,598 posts, read 9,189,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Well, Charlotte also has such tall office towers tightly compact, it makes 25 floor residential/hotel buildings look so insignificant and most people cut them out of the frame.

With cities with more residential or smaller skylines, you can zoom in further or smaller 20 floor residential towers look part of the ongoing skyline. Charlotte looks much bigger when zoomed in and you see "
Oh.... Look at all those 20-50 floor residential/hotel buildings my eyes don't notice when zoomed way out and I'm looking at large office towers with huge floor plates"

In the picture below. The clouds chop off some of the taller buildings. If you were to cut off the height of some of the tallest buildings, it would look more cohesive with the short towers surrounding.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/up-bucket-0...a1a63fa0c0.JPG

Also the picture below shows how dense uptown is. A very compact skyline, which people (unless you visit) generally don't notice because pictures of the skyline are zoomed out and focused on the tallest core of towers and not all the infill surrounding them

https://nwrliving.com/assets/images/...80c666dae2.jpg
Thank you for sharing. I agree. It is frustrating trying to explain when so many media outlets show that same tired Nashville Batman building photo overlooking the Cumberland river. I need this picture to retire today lol.

https://honeymoonadventurers.com/ten...lle-tn-skyline

Charlotte's skyline is impressive.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:47 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,335,935 times
Quote:
Thank you for sharing. I agree. It is frustrating trying to explain when so many media outlets show that same tired Nashville Batman building photo overlooking the Cumberland river. I need this picture to retire today lol.

https://honeymoonadventurers.com/ten...lle-tn-skyline

Charlotte's skyline is impressive.
We have some extremely old photos that are always used too in the media lol. Yeah, so typical Nashville photo they used.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:24 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,914,189 times
I know I'm in the minority here, but I lived in Western NC for a long time and was never that impressed with Charlotte's skyline. So I'm glad that it's finally filling in with some mid to high rise towers, because for the longest time it kind of looked-and kind of felt- more like a large edge city with a few fairly tall buildings.

From a distance, Charlotte wins this, but personally I don't think by a landslide (though being able to see it with good binoculars/lenses from South Mtns SP and parts of the BRP on a really clear day is pretty cool). I think a mix of types of building styles, new and old- as well as on the periphery- help round out a skyline. And I feel that natural landforms and backdrops add to the appeal. Charlotte struggles in these categories, IMHO. Growth helps, and I like some of the forward thinking concepts (for the south) of transit and planning. I know it will fill in and change over time, but it's still just so....generic. Nashville has more texture, more historical buildings, a better mix and more interesting landform advantages, and is growing rapidly as well. So I think it will be more even in the not too distant future.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:34 PM

413 posts, read 433,865 times
I will say having been thru Charlotte not to long ago for a family reunion it is starting to feel like a big city I wholeheartdly agree that the larger towers often times block out some of the mid size infill but there is quite a bit already and much more of it coming on line......some of those surface lots still need to go but its making some serious strides.......

Old 06-22-2019, 12:53 AM

195 posts, read 191,288 times
Charlotte skyline looks like it belongs to a much bigger city. Nashville's skyline is coming along nicely though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City