Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most important state in the nation?
California 104 63.80%
Texas 27 16.56%
Florida 6 3.68%
New York 24 14.72%
Illinois 2 1.23%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 09:24 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
lol@ any votes not for CA especially the 1 for IL.
I mean if we're going to say all of New York state is important, it's only fair to say all of Illinois is important, because in both states, the major cities have dominance over the state's reputation. Chicago is the 3rd largest city in the country, and lies within Illinois, remember that. I'd say IL and FL are tied for 4th though, as Chicago is the bigger metropolis but Florida brings in a lot of tourism/vacation dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 09:29 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Illinois' population is falling and Pennsylvania's is growing but I think Illinois still has a higher GDP.
PA outside of Philadelphia is still largely a rust belt state. Chicago makes up for anything "rust belt" in Illinois easily. Even with a falling population, Chicago/Illinois is still sitting pretty comfortably as one of the top GDP places in the country.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:24 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Illinois' population is falling and Pennsylvania's is growing but I think Illinois still has a higher GDP.
Yeah, the IL population decline and PA population increase are both very small when considering their overall populations, which are nearly identical. IL definitely has the larger GDP and larger GDP per capita, and I think you can make a series of arguments for why IL is still handedly in the top 5.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:46 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
I think at this point PA and IL are tied for 5th.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I think at this point PA and IL are tied for 5th.
I think it is still IL above PA: IL has a higher GDP, higher GDP per capita, larger major city (3rd largest), larger metro area (3rd largest), greater dominance over its region, huge national logistics locations (especially air and rail), is a larger player in national agriculture. Also, in terms of politics (whether it matters), we haven't really had a modern-day president from PA, FWIW.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:22 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
California is #1 one in terms of economic impact with Texas a close second. But politically, because it leans so democratic, its not as important as Florida, a notable swing state or Texas which is a majority-minority state with notably changing demographics that I believe in 10 years or less will impact the election of the POTUS that it has not in a way maybe before Reagan. It is going to be a MONUMENTAL swing for the White House.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:33 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Yes agreed about Houston with oil, but I don't see Dallas, San Antonio or Austin that same way.
People still see Texas as too much in the Energy vein and not for the diversity the economy now has compared to 30 years ago. Ask all the Californians and former California based companies who have moved to the State. The state is one of the youngest in the Union. Its top two in international trade. Being centrally located, by air, its non-stop flights practically to the entire globe. It has space to grow, abundant natural resources, a 600 mile coast line and big deep sea port. It has what NY and California don't have...AFFORDABILITY. It has what both of those states have. diversity. It has global name recognition. It has a world class Medical complex. Unlike NYC, and better than California, it has balance in terms of population dispersion which gives all more space. Leave NYC and you might as well be in rural PA. NYC an Long Island are over HALF the state's population!

Old 06-28-2019, 08:55 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
Pennsylvania is gaining people and Illinois is losing, but still since that trend started Illinois is still gaining GDP at the same sheer amount or slightly more than Pennsylvania.

Illinois produces around $76,000,000,000 more than Pennsylvania each year, that amount has held stead for a few decades.

Illinois vs Chicago though are two different things, as even though both are losing population the Chicago area is gaining GDP at a healthy clip vs Illinois.

Since 2010 Chicago has increased its GDP by 24%. The state of Illinois outside of Chicago has increased by 11%.

Same with jobs, Chicago has increased by hundreds of thousands of jobs over the past 8 years - the rest of Illinois is virtually flat if not having lost jobs.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Illinois vs Chicago though are two different things, as even though both are losing population the Chicago area is gaining GDP at a healthy clip vs Illinois.

Since 2010 Chicago has increased its GDP by 24%. The state of Illinois outside of Chicago has increased by 11%.
But Chicago is still Illinois, so it's moot to disentangle them for any part of this argument. You could slice and dice all states from their cities (and in this thread, very obviously NYC from NYS), but that's not what the thread is about...

Old 06-28-2019, 02:27 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96West View Post
I don't think this has been asked before especially in a poll so here it is: Which is the most important state in the country? Regarding pretty much everything from Economy, Population, Politics, and such.
Economy: Cali easily with NYS close on it's tail. Then TX, FL, and IL after that.

Population: This is easy to look up but here: CA...TX..FL.NY..IL

Politics:Most important can easily go to Florida. Matter of fact it's the only swing state in the top 5. Need any proof look at the 2000 Bush v Gore results. Trump also launched his reelection bid last week in Orlando which speaks to the importance of Florida in 2020.

Florida is a microcosm of the US as a whole, and as Florida goes, so usually goes the Presidency. Clinton 96, Bush, Bush, Obama, Obama, Trump is our current streak. Before that you'd have to go back to JFK beating Nixon to see another example of Florida not picking the winning candidate. Now I'm not saying correlation equals causation, but many elections were too close for the winning candidate to loos Florida and both parties realize just how up for grabs the state truly is.

Now in terms of how important Cali & Texas our to the opposite parties is another story. Without their respective strongholds, who knows what would happen.

Such:They all rank good in such but I'd reckon has the most such so it wins here too. Wins overall with TX and NYS right behind it. FL and Ill can duke it out for 4th and 5th place.

Last edited by Yac; 08-28-2019 at 03:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City