Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most connected non-metro/non-csa pairing?
Austin/San Antonio 26 20.00%
Buffalo/Rochester 6 4.62%
Charlotte/Columbia SC 4 3.08%
Chicago/Milwaukee 32 24.62%
Louisville/Cincinnati 3 2.31%
OKC/Tulsa 2 1.54%
Orlando/Tampa 15 11.54%
Phoenix/Tuscon 3 2.31%
Richmond/DC 9 6.92%
Sacramento/San Francisco 17 13.08%
Triad/Charlotte 4 3.08%
Other 9 6.92%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 12:45 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I think San Diego MSA and Inland Empire MSA makes more sense.

Some people view Temecula/Murrieta as being in the domain of San Diego, and there are definitely some commuters.
While that’s true about Temecula/Murrieta having a strong connection to San Diego County, their combined population is only about 200K of the 4.2 million of the Inland Empire’s MSA. Besides that, many from Temecula/Murrieta commute to Orange County, even Los Angeles, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 01:01 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Detroit and Windsor is interesting, Detroit and Toledo are not at all connected, but they are close.
I’m not too sure about that? I have family in both cities, and many from Toledo relate to, and associate themselves with Detroit more than than do with rest of Ohio. I’ve also met plenty of people from Toledo over the years here in San Diego on vacation and they seem to confirm this when I’ve brought this up, so it’s just not my family members in Toledo and their friends/neighbors I’m basing this on.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:06 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,895,607 times
Nashville & Clarksville (5 largest city in Tennessee) Metros literally touch each other, But Census will not count them as one

Old 06-20-2019, 03:29 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Triad is probably more connected to the Triangle than Charlotte. Or at least the line between the two is much murkier.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:27 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Detroit and Windsor is interesting, Detroit and Toledo are not at all connected, but they are close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I’m not too sure about that? I have family in both cities, and many from Toledo relate to, and associate themselves with Detroit more than than do with rest of Ohio. I’ve also met plenty of people from Toledo over the years here in San Diego on vacation and they seem to confirm this when I’ve brought this up, so it’s just not my family members in Toledo and their friends/neighbors I’m basing this on.
Oh, they're connected alright. Just look at the first link in the OP. It confirmed why I always felt connected to Detroit and to a lesser extent Cleveland and why Columbus felt totally different. And I lived in Columbus more than once. Toledo is just a mini Detroit down the road. We'd defer to Detroit for pro sports, concerts, etc.

Now I'm lucky enough to live in Milwaukee and be so connected to Chicago and as was mentioned before Madison. We've got a great little area forming and we're all happy to have each other.

The first link in the OP also confirms how isolated cities like Denver and Salt Lake City are. They may be great towns but they're islands.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:28 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
On this list, I voted SF/Sac. Sac is basically becoming part of the Bay Area at this point, at least very much so culturally. I doubt the commuters are coming from Sac, but people are escaping SF prices and moving to Sac in large numbers in my experiences. Numerous college friends from SF have moved to Sac. Many friend groups now have a good number living in both so they'll hang out in both. Many of the gays I knew in SF came from the Sac/Tahoe area. It was very common for the SF gays to spend their weekends in Sac and vice verse staying with their friends in the other.

Chicago/Milwaukee is definitely second.

While LA/SD are pretty connected, it doesn't feel as strong as SF/Sac IMO. People aren't regularly spending as many weekends between the two. That's likely because of OC traffic, though. But what brings them together a lot IMO is the South OC and Riverside County connection to SD. Southwest Riverside Co commutes to SD quite heavily, while Northwest Riverside Co commutes to LA almost entirely. South OC does hang out in SD quite a bit, likely because of the traffic into LA.

For the KY connection, I would put it stronger with Louisville/Lexington rather than Louisville/Cincinnati...but I think Lexington was too small for your consideration on this topic, right?

South Central PA/Harrisburg region is a strange one. Their team affiliations, in my experience, were split pretty evenly between Baltimore and Philly. They'd visit Philly more often, but both are very close and Philly just has more to do. It's not unheard of for South Central PA people to visit DC for the day either. But Harrisburg might also be too small for this consideration?

Old 06-20-2019, 09:57 AM

821 posts, read 761,047 times
Buffalo's sprawl stays within Erie County, and Rochester's western sprawl doesn't leave monroe county. So, Genesee county solidly separates these two cities pretty effectively.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:22 AM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Buffalo's sprawl stays within Erie County, and Rochester's western sprawl doesn't leave monroe county. So, Genesee county solidly separates these two cities pretty effectively.
The metro areas do touch at the Orleans/Niagara county line, but it is more rural/small town in between the western suburbs/exurbs of Rochester and the eastern/northeastern/northern suburbs/exurbs of Buffalo.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:05 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
On this list, I voted SF/Sac. Sac is basically becoming part of the Bay Area at this point, at least very much so culturally. I doubt the commuters are coming from Sac,
It's been growing over the years. Capitol Corridor ridership continues to grow quickly.

As housing prices rise, 17,000 Bay Area workers commute from the Sacramento region

This is why I think he SF/Sac connection is stronger than LA/SD. The home prices between LA and SD aren't that different so not really any incentive to live in one and commute to other. Bay Area home prices are well over double to almost triple Sac's.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:23 PM

830 posts, read 1,019,456 times
Quote:
On this list, I voted SF/Sac. Sac is basically becoming part of the Bay Area at this point, at least very much so culturally. I doubt the commuters are coming from Sac, but people are escaping SF prices and moving to Sac in large numbers in my experiences. Numerous college friends from SF have moved to Sac. Many friend groups now have a good number living in both so they'll hang out in both. Many of the gays I knew in SF came from the Sac/Tahoe area. It was very common for the SF gays to spend their weekends in Sac and vice verse staying with their friends in the other.

Chicago/Milwaukee is definitely second.

While LA/SD are pretty connected, it doesn't feel as strong as SF/Sac IMO. People aren't regularly spending as many weekends between the two. That's likely because of OC traffic, though. But what brings them together a lot IMO is the South OC and Riverside County connection to SD. Southwest Riverside Co commutes to SD quite heavily, while Northwest Riverside Co commutes to LA almost entirely. South OC does hang out in SD quite a bit, likely because of the traffic into LA.
Thanks for explaining the SD/LA connection a bit more. From my own understanding and anecdotal experience I would have to elevate the Sac/SF connection above the SD/LA one, but while I get LA, I haven't spent enough time in SD to feel it out. I just wondered how often an Angeleno could even make it to SD or vice versa, but I can see how OC would forge the stronger bond there. Would you say the connection is also a cultural one?

Quote:
For the KY connection, I would put it stronger with Louisville/Lexington rather than Louisville/Cincinnati...but I think Lexington was too small for your consideration on this topic, right?
I missed this one. Definitely seems salient. Lexington is a great, underrated city and I didn't realize how close it was to Louisville. How interactive are they?

Quote:
South Central PA/Harrisburg region is a strange one. Their team affiliations, in my experience, were split pretty evenly between Baltimore and Philly. They'd visit Philly more often, but both are very close and Philly just has more to do. It's not unheard of for South Central PA people to visit DC for the day either. But Harrisburg might also be too small for this consideration?
Definitely! I could never put my finger on Harrisburg. It's an interesting region. Parts seem to jive with DC/Baltimore and then equally tied to Philly. I spent a little time working in Harrisburg and would always see Marylanders in Dauphin County courts and I knew people would go back and forth between Baltimore and Harrisburg on the fly. But then you'd also have people like me, commuting on the Keystone Amtrak on the daily between Philly and Harrisburg (because I opted not to live in Harrisburg, shoot me!). And then, with all these connections, I couldn't understand how Lancaster could be a step away and it's another metro. All together, it's a pretty significant multi-nodal region. The ease that people seemed to move between the cities is really interesting. I wonder if Greater DC can gobble up any bit of the Harrisburg-York metro before too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City