Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most connected non-metro/non-csa pairing?
Austin/San Antonio 26 20.00%
Buffalo/Rochester 6 4.62%
Charlotte/Columbia SC 4 3.08%
Chicago/Milwaukee 32 24.62%
Louisville/Cincinnati 3 2.31%
OKC/Tulsa 2 1.54%
Orlando/Tampa 15 11.54%
Phoenix/Tuscon 3 2.31%
Richmond/DC 9 6.92%
Sacramento/San Francisco 17 13.08%
Triad/Charlotte 4 3.08%
Other 9 6.92%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 06:30 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
While that’s true about Temecula/Murrieta having a strong connection to San Diego County, their combined population is only about 200K of the 4.2 million of the Inland Empire’s MSA. Besides that, many from Temecula/Murrieta commute to Orange County, even Los Angeles, as well.
Yes, but I'm not hearing about too many San Clemente to San Diego commuters. Temecula is a gateway to the heart of the Inland Empire and there is certainly a San Diego link. Not even saying there is a SD/IE connection, just more so than L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 06:39 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
I didn't vote for any of these and here is why-

I don't think there is a meaningful connection between San Diego and Los Angeles, I'm not making any case for that.

There are 12 daily Amtrak departures between San Diego and Los Angeles.

This is more than any of the poll options (SF-SAC requires a bus connection).

Get some infrastructure America.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:36 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I didn't vote for any of these and here is why-

I don't think there is a meaningful connection between San Diego and Los Angeles, I'm not making any case for that.

There are 12 daily Amtrak departures between San Diego and Los Angeles.

This is more than any of the poll options (SF-SAC requires a bus connection).

Get some infrastructure America.
Milwaukee-Chicago runs 9 daily trains. The combined metro population is 11 million compared to San Diego/Los Angeles at 16 million. That's pretty comparable

I agree with your last point.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:16 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
San Diego-LA are the most intertwined. Not only the culture and people (lots of reciprocity in transplants), but also the fact that they border each other and have significant travel between them all days of the week in terms of people and goods. Southern California is essentially one continuous megaregion. San Diego County also has commuter rail service to both DTLA and the inland empire at Oceanside. Amtrak's second busiest inter city rail corridor is SD to LA.

This might help the comparison, at least as far as commuting patterns go:
http://bigbytes.mobyus.com/commute.aspx

If basing it on this metric, it's not even a comparison. SD-LA has way more shared commuters than any of these other regions.

Last edited by newgensandiego; 06-20-2019 at 08:24 PM..

Old 06-21-2019, 08:38 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Thanks for explaining the SD/LA connection a bit more. From my own understanding and anecdotal experience I would have to elevate the Sac/SF connection above the SD/LA one, but while I get LA, I haven't spent enough time in SD to feel it out. I just wondered how often an Angeleno could even make it to SD or vice versa, but I can see how OC would forge the stronger bond there. Would you say the connection is also a cultural one?
It's not unheard of for someone from LA to go down to SD for work for the day, same way someone from NYC may get sent to Philly for the day for work on Amtrak. It's hard to say exactly because of the geography of the region, though. Someone for northern or western parts of LA County is not going to SD to see a concert, for example. However, someone from OC or Riverside County might gladly drive to SD to see a concert. Same goes for other entertainment events.

From my experience, though, SF/Sac friends hung out more often than LA/SD friends. Granted, I haven't lived in California since 2014, so maybe the bond has grown between LA and SD as LA continues to become prohibitively expensive.

As someone born and raised there, though, the college exchange was one where you could see the connections. LA and SD high school grads shuffle between the two metros very regularly for college and have shared friend groups and all that. But culturally, like you pointed out, when those students from SoCal met the students from NorCal in the middle at a school like Cal Poly SLO, the SoCal kids had a bond separate from the NorCal kids.

Culturally, they are very similar. SD is a little slower than LA. It's much more beach-focused than LA, whereas LA can be heavily focused on high-society Hollywood Hills lifestyles. That's not so common in SD. But they share a lot of culture, more than can be put into words. Even growing up in LA without a football team, many of us were Chargers fans because they were as close to home team as we could get. I often see Lakers gear in SD. Whether that's from LA expats or SD natives, I can't comment to, though.

OC splits up the region a bit, though, as it has its own baseball and hockey teams. It oddly also combines the laid back beach vibe of SD with the high-society Hills vibe of LA. It's slower and more beach/suburban-focused than LA. But it's faster-paced with more traffic than SD and OC identifies as LA (which I'm not a fan of )

Quote:
I missed this one. Definitely seems salient. Lexington is a great, underrated city and I didn't realize how close it was to Louisville. How interactive are they?
VERY! With UofL and UK being the two major universities of the state, people from all over Kentucky have friends that go to both universities. People will regularly spend weekends in the other to visit their friends and have a bit of change of scenery. With the Lexington airport being much smaller, people from Lexington often use the Louisville or Cincinnati airport. Frankfort (the capital) is between the two, but closer to Lexington. But both cities kinda share it as their middle ground because you'll notice those working in Frankfort are split pretty evenly in terms of living in one or the other. They're so close and the traffic is so minimal between the two that if it weren't for the beautiful and much-needed horse country and farms between the two, I think they'd have a fighting chance for a shared CSA. The amount of time people travel between the two and the amount of people a friend group or a family shares between the two cities was unheard of to me. And that's coming from me, born and raised in LA so I know the SD connection and I went to college in SF so I saw the Sac connection firsthand as well. The Louisville-Lexington connection is quite possibly the strongest I ever experienced.

Quote:
Definitely! I could never put my finger on Harrisburg. It's an interesting region. Parts seem to jive with DC/Baltimore and then equally tied to Philly. I spent a little time working in Harrisburg and would always see Marylanders in Dauphin County courts and I knew people would go back and forth between Baltimore and Harrisburg on the fly. But then you'd also have people like me, commuting on the Keystone Amtrak on the daily between Philly and Harrisburg (because I opted not to live in Harrisburg, shoot me!). And then, with all these connections, I couldn't understand how Lancaster could be a step away and it's another metro. All together, it's a pretty significant multi-nodal region. The ease that people seemed to move between the cities is really interesting. I wonder if Greater DC can gobble up any bit of the Harrisburg-York metro before too long.
I don't think Harrisburg itself will ever be gobbled up by the DC-Baltimore CSA, but I could see York becoming part of it. York, to me, feels like 2/3 DC-Bmore and 1/3 Philly connection. Lancaster, to me, feels like the exact opposite. Harrisburg is still it's own thing IMO since it's the capital of one of the largest states in the country. Similarly, I wouldn't be shocked if Hanover one day joined the DC-Bmore CSA. Mostly because Harrisburg isn't a big enough job center I don't think, but the towns themselves aren't producing enough good jobs. Lancaster is doing pretty well. But Hanover is only 50 miles to Baltimore.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:07 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
It's not unheard of for someone from LA to go down to SD for work for the day, same way someone from NYC may get sent to Philly for the day for work on Amtrak. It's hard to say exactly because of the geography of the region, though. Someone for northern or western parts of LA County is not going to SD to see a concert, for example. However, someone from OC or Riverside County might gladly drive to SD to see a concert. Same goes for other entertainment events.

From my experience, though, SF/Sac friends hung out more often than LA/SD friends. Granted, I haven't lived in California since 2014, so maybe the bond has grown between LA and SD as LA continues to become prohibitively expensive.

As someone born and raised there, though, the college exchange was one where you could see the connections. LA and SD high school grads shuffle between the two metros very regularly for college and have shared friend groups and all that. But culturally, like you pointed out, when those students from SoCal met the students from NorCal in the middle at a school like Cal Poly SLO, the SoCal kids had a bond separate from the NorCal kids.

Culturally, they are very similar. SD is a little slower than LA. It's much more beach-focused than LA, whereas LA can be heavily focused on high-society Hollywood Hills lifestyles. That's not so common in SD. But they share a lot of culture, more than can be put into words. Even growing up in LA without a football team, many of us were Chargers fans because they were as close to home team as we could get. I often see Lakers gear in SD. Whether that's from LA expats or SD natives, I can't comment to, though.

OC splits up the region a bit, though, as it has its own baseball and hockey teams. It oddly also combines the laid back beach vibe of SD with the high-society Hills vibe of LA. It's slower and more beach/suburban-focused than LA. But it's faster-paced with more traffic than SD and OC identifies as LA (which I'm not a fan of )
I think the previous poster is confusing train traffic with commuter traffic when speaking of LA/SD. I’ve taken the Amtrak to and through LA more times than I can remember going back to the 90’s and it no way resembles say the Hudson line in NYC, not even close. This observation comes from taking it at commuting times on many occasions, and recently as well. Real estate prices are too similar in the two for someone to endure this commute more than just occasionally. Maybe North County San Diego to South Orange County, but not Los Angeles to San Diego.

This is so very true. While I went out of state for school, the majority of my friends went to LA and the surrounding area. Conversely, so many of my friends, vendors and reps I deal with, employees, neighbors, etc, came to San Diego for school and never left. While Chicago, Boston, DC, Houston, and NYC are all cities I have multiple friends from, LA is still the most represented. I’ve read on more than one occasion that San Diego, and not Phoenix, Las Vegas, or any other city, is the number one city Angelenos move to.

It’s a combination of the two for Lakers hats in San Diego. Even going back to when the Clippers called San Diego home, many here were Lakers fans because of “Showtime” and the Clippers blew. While I was young at the time I still remember that vividly amongst my friends. And just like how you rooted for the Chargers when LA didn’t have a team, many here root for the Lakers because we don’t have a team.

Not to get too off topic, but I just wish more would be Clippers fans. Maybe that’ll change when Kawhi Leonard signs with them as he’s still very popular from his SDSU years. Everyone I knew was rooting for Toronto in the finals because of him. It’s common knowledge he wants to come home to Southern California, and I’m sure the Clipper brass are well aware there’s a huge fan base in San Diego that’ll watch, go to games, buy merchandise, etc, if he signs.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:25 AM

3,306 posts, read 8,559,751 times
The most connected non-metro area would have to be Raleigh & Durham, NC. Both cities literally spill into each cities home counties (Durham and Wake) and both downtowns are 25 miles apart with their cities literally touching each other in between. The area circled in red are where Raleigh spills over into Durham County and the city of Durham spills over into Wake County (Raleigh).

It obviously has to do with weird commuting patterns, but it makes no sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Most connected non-metro/non-csa pairing-rd.jpg  

Old 06-21-2019, 12:26 PM

830 posts, read 1,018,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
The most connected non-metro area would have to be Raleigh & Durham, NC. Both cities literally spill into each cities home counties (Durham and Wake) and both downtowns are 25 miles apart with their cities literally touching each other in between. The area circled in red are where Raleigh spills over into Durham County and the city of Durham spills over into Wake County (Raleigh).

It obviously has to do with weird commuting patterns, but it makes no sense.
It's true, but for this specific discussion we've only got cities that aren't a part of the same MSA -OR- CSA up for contention. Some regions are on the cusp of it while others are so established that they just can't reach the census cutoff, and still others are socially/economically/culturally-tied but not in a census sense. Since Raleigh and Durham form the core of a very significant CSA, we won't debate them.

But someone earlier mentioned that the Triangle and Triad feel pretty connected, more so than Triad/Charlotte. True?

Old 06-21-2019, 12:41 PM

3,306 posts, read 8,559,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
It's true, but for this specific discussion we've only got cities that aren't a part of the same MSA -OR- CSA up for contention. Some regions are on the cusp of it while others are so established that they just can't reach the census cutoff, and still others are socially/economically/culturally-tied but not in a census sense. Since Raleigh and Durham form the core of a very significant CSA, we won't debate them.

But someone earlier mentioned that the Triangle and Triad feel pretty connected, more so than Triad/Charlotte. True?
I would think the Triad is equally connected with both Charlotte and the Triangle, but obviously those on the southern side of the Triad (High Point, Thomasville, Lexington) would be more connected to Charlotte, while municipalities on the eastern side of the Triad (Burlington, Mebane) are connected with the Triangle region, due to the Triangle job market (RTP, UNC-CH, Duke, etc.)

Old 06-21-2019, 12:48 PM

483 posts, read 353,655 times
I nominate Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio. The cities themselves are only 50 miles apart and the area between is mostly developed. The suburbs between them have a lot of commuters to both according to the 2nd link in the opening post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City