Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous: Los Angeles/Hollywood or New York City?
Los Angeles/Hollywood 33 26.83%
New York City 90 73.17%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 10:44 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
LOL that's it?

Ok, lets see here.

The Broad Musuem
MOCA
Hammer Musuem
LACMA
La Brea Tar Pits
Grand Central Market
Angels Flight
Universal Studios
Dodger Stadium
STAPLES Center/L.A. Live
Grammy Musuem
The Oscars at the Dolby Theatre
The Comedy Store
Hollywood Improv
Pantages Theatre
Broadway Theatre district
Venice Beach Boardwalk
Topanga beaches and canyons
Warner Center
Paramount Studios
Union Station
Griffith Park
Barnsdall Art Park
The Getty Center
The Getty Villa
Echo Park Lake
Runyon Canyon Park w/ Hollywood Sign
Palisades Park
Elysian Park
Upcoming 2028 Olympics, previously hosted 1932 and 1984
ArcLight Cinemas
Hollywood Bowl
Walt Disney Concert Hall
Hollywood Walk of Fame
TCL Chinese Theatre
Egyptian Theatre

The NYC list had to resort to streets and random buildings/landmarks LOL. To keep it fair I only listed attractions in city limits.
There’s a good chunk of that stuff I’ve never heard of. A lot of others I’d say aren’t exactly hitting on the same level as MSG let alone the Statue of Liberty. To each their own and all. LA is a world-renowned city. It doesn’t need to be as famous as NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 04:37 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
In N out alone beats the statue of Liberty. Ha! New Yorkers are nasty *******. All they do is complain.
LA has beautiful beaches. LA has beautiful mountains. LA has beautiful people. LA has beautiful sunshine.
NYC has trash on sidewalks (nasty). NYC has rats eating NYC pizza (nasty). NYC has Times Square (nasty). NYC has ugly people compared to LA. Haha. Take that nasty *******.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:07 AM

1,393 posts, read 861,365 times
Quote:
LOL that's it?

Ok, lets see here.

The Broad Musuem
MOCA
Hammer Musuem
LACMA
La Brea Tar Pits
Grand Central Market
Angels Flight
Universal Studios
Dodger Stadium
STAPLES Center/L.A. Live
Grammy Musuem
The Comedy Store
Hollywood Improv
Pantages Theatre
Venice Beach Boardwalk
Warner Center
Paramount Studios
Union Station
Griffith Park
Barnsdall Art Park
The Getty Center
The Getty Villa
Echo Park Lake
Palisades Park
Elysian Park
ArcLight Cinemas
Hollywood Bowl
Walt Disney Concert Hall
Hollywood Walk of Fame
TCL Chinese Theatre
Egyptian Theatre

The NYC list had to resort to streets and random buildings/landmarks LOL. To keep it fair I only listed attractions in city limits.

This thread is about being famous and recognizable...you think I listed all attractions in nyc? you’re going to go to Europe and say 5th ave they’ll get it...most people in the USA won’t even know 3/4 of the places on your la list..

Old 06-24-2019, 09:21 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
I've traveled across the globe extensively. People on this site have an absolute love affair with how popular they deem LA to be, and I just don't get that sense when I leave this country. No doubt it's America's #2 city, but there is no way no how any comparison to the popularity of New York. New York City has dominated America's image as the preeminent city for 200 years. It would take LA another 100-200 years to over take this image honestly.

The only thing saving LA in this entire discussion is the word "Hollywood". Because there are many of these places and "iconic" structures that most people outside the U.S. would have no clue is in Los Angeles city. They may say California or Hollywood etc, but LA by itself is not singularly as iconic as some of the other cities of the United states. California is hella popular, and so is Hollywood, Los Angeles aka City of Angels has a nice ring to it, but there simply is no city in all of the Americas even remotely close to as popular as New York City.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:26 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,699 times
This thread is crazy. NYC by and far, no comparison. NYC is like Tokyo or London, everyone knows about it. LA is more like a Shanghai or Sydney in regards to how people know it.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:56 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
I keep hearing, NYC Manhattan, NYC Manhattan. So what is Manhattan in LA, or it doesn't matter because there are so many neighborhoods in LA they're all on equal footing? And what is Brooklyn in LA? Just curious.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:02 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Anyone who has been elsewhere in the world knows it's NYC. In Tokyo, where I go the most, not only do they have a Statue of Liberty in the bay in Odaiba, but there are so many NYC centric places it's crazy. East Village Burgers and Brooklyn Cafe in Ikkebukuro standout to me as both good places and oddly... informative that they know places in NYC that aren't just tourist locations. Otherwise, I've seen Hawaii as second.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:34 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
LOL that's it?

Ok, lets see here.

The Broad Musuem
MOCA
Hammer Musuem
LACMA
La Brea Tar Pits
Grand Central Market
Angels Flight
Universal Studios
Dodger Stadium
STAPLES Center/L.A. Live
Grammy Musuem
The Comedy Store
Hollywood Improv
Pantages Theatre
Venice Beach Boardwalk
Warner Center
Paramount Studios
Union Station
Griffith Park
Barnsdall Art Park
The Getty Center
The Getty Villa
Echo Park Lake
Palisades Park
Elysian Park
ArcLight Cinemas
Hollywood Bowl
Walt Disney Concert Hall
Hollywood Walk of Fame
TCL Chinese Theatre
Egyptian Theatre

I spent 24 of my 36 years in the LA area and havent done about a third of whats on your list. Most of it certainly isnt world famous.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:09 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I spent 24 of my 36 years in the LA area and havent done about a third of whats on your list. Most of it certainly isnt world famous.
Don't bother to argue with him. He's an extreme LA booster. LA can do no wrong and is the best most famous most important city in the world. No wait. Universe.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:39 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
See I knew I can convert someone. LA is the most famous city in the world.
No, it definitely is not.

NYC, London, Tokyo, and Paris are in a class of their own.

There are five cities in the US that are know in most places in the world: NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, and DC. Only one of the five is the city that is associated with the US to the exclusion of all others and its NYC. There just really isnt any other thats on its level.

I dont even really like NYC and I like LA more, but there is just no way NYC isnt the correct answer to this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City