Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous: Los Angeles/Hollywood or New York City?
Los Angeles/Hollywood 33 26.83%
New York City 90 73.17%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 07:54 AM

700 posts, read 422,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96West View Post
I'm neutral in this debate but let's be honest here, Hollywood is easily the most famous neighborhood in the world and i personally have never heard of Williamsburg but Brooklyn itself is pretty famous though which i think has alot to do with the Brooklyn Bridge.
Sounds like a personal problem. There is no way you’ve read about redevelopment and gentrification without seeing the word “Williamsburg”.

Hollywood is more famous with its name being related to movies. What about Hollywood - the actual neighborhood do people actually care about?

Williamsburg’s restaurant scene is probably above Hollywood as well.

Last edited by Yac; 08-28-2019 at 03:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96West View Post
I'm in no way a supporter of LA or NYC, i consider myself to be pretty neutral but i couldn't help but leave a comment to your response because i remember reading an article from a publisher(Based in NYC) and it was about how residents of NYC are moving to LA in big numbers. Here is the link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/patch.c...-droves-report
Los Angeles residents are one of the top movers to NYC.

https://www.brickunderground.com/liv...ants-come-from

Do better unbiased research please.

Last edited by Yac; 08-28-2019 at 03:32 AM..

Old 06-25-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Because it would be just bridges and buildings and you wouldn't have much to say?
No because I know NYC crushes La in landmarks and the amount of landmarks. The tourist numbers speak for themselves

LA is known for a lifestyle which is obviously exaggerated!

Out of all my friends who want to live in LA, only two of them want to explore the city and get a different scene. The others only want to go there to experience the lifestyle despite the fact that they aren’t even rich

Old 06-25-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Hollywood is the image but also the a neighborhood district of LA. It has a chamber of commerce that promotes the neighborhood and does things like the Walk of Fame ceremonies.
Hollywood is famous for the Chinese Theater. Walk of Fame. Annual Oscars Ceremony. Most of world premieres for movies in Hollywood. Many of jobs still remain in Hollywood like Paramount Studios. Jim Henson Studios. Sunset Gordon studios. Lots of smaller ones. Netflix moved in huge highrises offices in Hollywood.
Other famous landmarks. Hollywood Bowl, Hollywood Forever Cemetery, Cinerama Dome. Egyptian Theater. Pantages Theater. Fonda Theater. Hollywood Palladium, Amoeba Records. Capital Records. Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. Magic Castle hotel. Yamashiro Restaurant. Hollywood Sign. Musso and Frank restaurant. Brown Derby was there but not anymore. Plus other great buildings if you did follow Hollywood History from 40s-today. Some of them lost forever.
Hollywood the industry is spread all over the area. Valley having Universal, Warner Brothers, NBC studios, Disney Studios. Central LA with CBS Television City. Century City with Fox Studios. Culver City with Sony Picture studios and soon, HBO, Facebook, Amazon studios (trying to compete with Hulu/Netflix for content and distribution).

LA is the best city in the entire Universe. Even the cities of Corusant, Ceres Station, Romulus.

NYC is nasty trash. I saw this video of a woman in the subway on her phone and this rat climbs from her shoulder into her breasts like it is normal. WTF is wrong with NYC?
Did you enjoy the watching the rat that fell on a customer through the roof at the Buffalo Wild Wings in Westchester, La?

https://youtu.be/lfN2R9VLdDU

Why do La folks think they can speak about rats when their own city is infested with them?

You also wasted your time naming those landmarks because NYC still destroys the landmarks of LA.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Thats like saying LA is nothing but traffic and smog.

If LA is your favorite city, thats great. Its hard to take anybody seriously who talks like this though. You dont have to trash one place to enjoy another.
I doubt that poster has ever been to nyc. I still don’t get how LA residents can speak about trash when they have Skid Row and rat infestation like NYC.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:41 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
globally, LA/Hollywood due to the population growth in the Pacific Rim area.
LA/NY was sort of "even", but this millennium's demographics favor LA.
I'm frequently in India and Asia and I disagree. When you're talking about cities like New York, geography isn't as important. People in Tokyo and Mumbai tend to mention New York first and foremost when talking about the U.S. even though LA is closer. If this is a Seattle vs. Philadelphia debate or something, I can see the proximity factor being a bigger deal. But not for a city of New York's caliber.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:24 AM

188 posts, read 136,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Sounds like a personal problem. There is no way you’ve read about redevelopment and gentrification without seeing the word “Williamsburg”.

Hollywood is more famous with its name being related to movies. What about Hollywood - the actual neighborhood do people actually care about?

Williamsburg’s restaurant scene is probably above Hollywood as well.
I wouldn't call it a problem but yeah personally i have never heard of it and never came across reading about it until now so thanks to who ever mentioned it first. And you're right, i said the same thing earlier because even though it's an actual neighborhood which we can't deny but i have come to realize that most people don't see it that way or maybe not even know that it's an neighborhood so Hollywood is pretty much synonymous with the film industry.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:37 AM

188 posts, read 136,802 times
Quote:

Unbiased research? that made me LOL. I'll say this one last time, i consider my self to be neutral in debates like these because i like both cities. I just happend to come across that article a while back so i shared it, it doesn't mean i'm trying to support LA and the publisher of that article is quite well known(PatchMedia, and based in NYC) and that article is a year more recent than the one you shared. But i guess residents of both cities are moving to one another for different reasons.

Last edited by 96West; 06-25-2019 at 10:47 AM..

Old 06-27-2019, 06:11 PM

242 posts, read 174,285 times
In the new millennium,I'd say from about 2009/2010 -
Los Angeles is the most famous city by far. Well not really Los Angeles, but California is easily more known than New York so it kinda trumps out in L.A favor.

Now if this was the 90's or early 2000's than yeah it'll be NYC.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:19 PM

242 posts, read 174,285 times
Quote:

I hope you know that NYC residents move to Los Angeles more so than the other way around.

Why Are So Many New Yorkers Moving to L.A.?

New Yorkers Are Fleeing To Los Angeles In Droves, Study Shows | New York ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City