Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 01:37 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times

Advertisements

Which weighting does the OP give on these factors? that's important.

just from general knowledge:

Job market - really depends on your field but Chicago is probably gonna have the most options

Cost of living - Pittsburgh probably wins followed by Charlotte

Nightlife - Chicago wins. after that, depends what you like, Austin better for live music. Pittsburgh better for neighborhoody places and wild nightlife (south side).

Outdoors - is this in city or metro or even out of metro? in city, close match between Chicago and Pgh. Chicago has the lake, where Pgh has the rivers and hills. Austin and Charlotte don't compete.

Vibe/culture - very subjective. but I think in any case Charlotte is in last place.

Things to do - Chicago first, followed by Pgh. Austin has a lot of things, but a lot are redundant as in music

Public transit - Chicago easy. Pgh next.

Climate - so subjective. Charlotte's is probably the least extreme. if that's what you like.

Pro sports - Chicago and Pgh probably close to tie here, even though Chi has more teams.

Last edited by _Buster; 10-27-2019 at 01:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 04:21 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
Cost of living: Pittsburgh, Charlotte

Amount of transplants / younger demographic: Chicago, Austin, Charlotte

Best public transit: Chicago

Nightlife (bars, restaurants, shows, etc.): Chicago, Austin

Job market / outlook: Charlotte, Austin

Outdoor activities (parks, hiking, lakes, running trails, swimming, etc.): Pittsburgh (has access to hiking)

Vibe / Culture / Liveliness (hard to rank but looking for something fun and lively): Chicago

Amount of things to do (any kind of attractions, or shopping, entertainment, etc.): Chicago

Climate (Austin is brutal in the summer, and Chicago the winter) most mild?: Pittsburgh

Professional sports: Chicago, Pittsburgh

Traffic: Pittsburgh

Old 01-18-2020, 10:03 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callan45 View Post
I'm looking to move and I've pretty much narrowed down my choices to one of the above four cities. I think they all have some or most of my criteria, and would probably be happy in any of them. I wanted to get other's views based on my list below:

Cost of living:

Amount of transplants / younger demographic:

Best public transit:

Nightlife (bars, restaurants, shows, etc.):

Job market / outlook:

Outdoor activities (parks, hiking, lakes, running trails, swimming, etc.):

Vibe / Culture / Liveliness (hard to rank but looking for something fun and lively):

Amount of things to do (any kind of attractions, or shopping, entertainment, etc.):

Climate (Austin is brutal in the summer, and Chicago the winter) most mild?:

Professional sports:

Traffic:
It would be interesting to know which location you decided

Old 01-18-2020, 10:52 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
For professional sports definitely Chicago in #1 followed by Pittsburgh

Old 03-12-2020, 05:31 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
For professional sports definitely Chicago in #1 followed by Pittsburgh
Yeah, Chicago is a great sports town. Hopefully the season will get back to normal.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:36 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyberpass View Post
I've always loved Chicago. It's fantastic. If not for their taxes, terrible financial situation which is going to blow up one day, and totally flat terrain/lack of an outdoors scene, I'd move there in a heartbeat.
This is the issue with Chicago. It's a bargain if you're coming from NYC or LA, otherwise the COL is just bad and it's only getting worse with taxes that go up every year and no signs of stopping. The Illinois Exodus is real and people have been leaving the area now for a while. The city is great and has great mass transit, but financially Chicago (and the surrounding suburbs) are in a hole. Be aware if you move here.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:19 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Cost of living: Pittsburgh

Amount of transplants / younger demographic: Transplants: Chicago by total number; Charlotte by percentage / Foreign Born: Chicago by total number and percentage / Younger Demographic: Chicago by total number; Charlotte by percentage

Best public transit: Chicago

Nightlife (bars, restaurants, shows, etc.): Chicago

Job market / outlook: Austin

Outdoor activities (parks, hiking, lakes, running trails, swimming, etc.): Charlotte

Vibe / Culture / Liveliness (hard to rank but looking for something fun and lively): Chicago

Amount of things to do (any kind of attractions, or shopping, entertainment, etc.): Chicago

Climate (Austin is brutal in the summer, and Chicago the winter) most mild?: Either Charlotte or Pittsburgh

Professional sports: Chicago has MLB (two teams), NFL, NHL, MLS, NBA and WNBA

Traffic: Pittsburgh

Chicago is on another level than the other three in so many ways. Pittsburgh and Charlotte are in the same tier followed by Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City