Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Is Best?
Nashville 48 45.28%
Austin 58 54.72%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 04:27 PM

592 posts, read 591,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Disagree. I hear about the hate, but the constant influx must mean that CD is a tiny microcosm of actual people moving.
I think the hate he's referring to is all in his imagination lol.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:24 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't think Austin is overrated, if anything it's now underrated as it's so hated. That being said, it's no Nashville. Not the same class of city.
How is Nashville a different class of city than Austin?

Old 07-11-2019, 05:46 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How is Nashville a different class of city than Austin?
I was thinking the same thing

Old 07-11-2019, 06:54 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I was thinking the same thing
Were it in a different class, not sure it would be losing on the polls. But also, I do think they are almost in a different “class”. Austin’s economy gives it a huge edge IMO. That’s an important factor. Not just country music.

Last edited by JMT; 07-11-2019 at 08:29 AM..

Old 07-11-2019, 07:46 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
The Austin metro really has nothing like Williamson County TN. The huge plantation-style estates. Main Street Franklin. All the greenspace. I'm high tech so Austin has far more job opportunities but if I had to pick between the two as a place to live, I'd pick Franklin walkable to Main Street. I've been in Austin a number of times on tech business trips. It seems like it's always in the summer and it's 100F. I ski and I'm a salt water guy so I wouldn't put either at the top of my list but Williamson County with occasional forays into Nashville would be my choice of those two options.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:55 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The Austin metro really has nothing like Williamson County TN. The huge plantation-style estates. Main Street Franklin. All the greenspace. I'm high tech so Austin has far more job opportunities but if I had to pick between the two as a place to live, I'd pick Franklin walkable to Main Street. I've been in Austin a number of times on tech business trips. It seems like it's always in the summer and it's 100F. I ski and I'm a salt water guy so I wouldn't put either at the top of my list but Williamson County with occasional forays into Nashville would be my choice of those two options.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. Austin is not a bad city, but it's hot and bland. Economic wise Austin is another league right now within the tech industry but I feel like Nashville is still more diverse. When I think of Austin I think of wanna be cool types and tech bros. I met a wide range of people in my time visiting Nashville. Austin is also greatly overshadowed by Dallas, Houston and to some extent San Antonio even though they like to portray themselves as the unique city in Texas. I can see Nashville really developing into a world class city in the future. I'm excited to see what Nashville will look like 15-20 years from now.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with this. Austin is not a bad city, but it's hot and bland.
Bland? That seems to be a pretty...interesting descriptor.

Quote:
Austin is also greatly overshadowed by Dallas, Houston and to some extent San Antonio even though they like to portray themselves as the unique city in Texas.
I disagree and I think you're letting your newfound love of Nashville taint your objectivity concerning any other city it has been compared to lately. It is undeniable that Austin has carved out a unique niche for itself in Texas both culturally and economically to the point that it is not really in the shadows of Dallas or Houston--pound for pound, it stands right along them economically and in a few instances a bit ahead--and gets more than enough positive press on its own merits. San Antonio is cool, but no, Austin is not in its shadow. If anything, it is San Antonio that is overshadowed by the other three major metros in the state. It takes some major slight of hand to assign that status to Austin. And even if that were true, it would have no bearing on Austin's unique status which is a separate issue (that certainly has validity).

I do agree that right now, Nashville has seems to have a more diverse economy but both are stable and red-hot right now.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 07-11-2019 at 09:29 AM..

Old 07-11-2019, 09:26 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
Huntsville_secede, have you ever really set foot in Austin? Because it certainly sounds as if you have not.

Mutiny77, spot on, but the biggest difference in Austin isn't cultural or economic, it's political. It's almost like some cities in California politically.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Huntsville_secede, have you ever really set foot in Austin? Because it certainly sounds as if you have not.

Mutiny77, spot on, but the biggest difference in Austin isn't cultural or economic, it's political. It's almost like some cities in California politically.
Yes, that too. Even geographically, Austin seems to be a bit more distinct than the other Texas cities being located directly on a sizable river and on the edge of the Texas Hill Country which provides variation in elevation on the western side of the city.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:31 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,191 times
Quote:

I have several times, Austin is a nice city I'm just really impressed by Nashville. I'd like to go back to Austin and have more patience to wait in that line at Franklin's though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City