Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of 8 vibrant and growing mid major Southern and Midwestern cities/metros
Austin 33 23.40%
Kansas City 15 10.64%
Indianapolis 12 8.51%
Columbus 11 7.80%
Nashville 21 14.89%
Raleigh 15 10.64%
Charlotte 28 19.86%
Jacksonville 6 4.26%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 02:25 PM

11,660 posts, read 7,792,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Charlotte, Austin, Raleigh and Nashville have the "Juice" right now. And should continue for the next decade or so. Jacksonville despite it's size has been an underdog forever and is largely absent from conversations with it's peers, and may finally start to come into it's on this decade.

Indianapolis, Columbus and Kansas City had their boom years several decades ago and I feel now have very steady growth patterns and have the bones to support large cities in the future.

For the win. Charlotte which has been doing the right thing for a while now with good leadership, Austin (as long as they can manage COL and transit) much the same with Nashville.

Raleigh-Durham has all the right pieces for continued long-term growth and is arguably the most diversified economically of the bunch.

I'm from Raleigh, and now live in Austin and was glad to see this posted yesterday by a local news outlet. The city is well aware of it's increasing transit issues and has grand ideas to add to the red line with green, and blue lines and potentially a subway as well.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...wntown-subway/
I live right by the red line and it's a fun little train. I personally prefer it to driving to Downtown.

I hope they do get the other lines built though. That will be a major determining factor on the success of Austin. That and CODENEXT4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 06:18 PM

12,931 posts, read 9,538,968 times
Charlotte, and it is easily the largest metro in this group.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:18 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,393,280 times
Default Jacksonville?

jACKSONVILLE BEING PITTED AGAINST THESE OTHER CITIES IS UNFAIR.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:28 AM

13,945 posts, read 8,793,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
jACKSONVILLE BEING PITTED AGAINST THESE OTHER CITIES IS UNFAIR.
Why? Are you saying it won't be able to compete with them? Its metro population is bigger than that of Raleigh, though if you interpret "Raleigh" to mean the entire Triangle, then Jacksonville falls to the bottom of the pile, while most of the others are now roughly comparable in size (2-2.5m), with Charlotte at the upper end of the range.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:46 AM

4,133 posts, read 2,763,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Why? Are you saying it won't be able to compete with them? Its metro population is bigger than that of Raleigh, though if you interpret "Raleigh" to mean the entire Triangle, then Jacksonville falls to the bottom of the pile, while most of the others are now roughly comparable in size (2-2.5m), with Charlotte at the upper end of the range.
Durham serves functionally as an extension of Raleigh’s MSA. Jacksonville is the major outlier.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:59 AM

9,601 posts, read 9,197,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
There is a big difference between a 1.5 million metro and the rest. Jacksonville cannot compete.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:42 PM

5,713 posts, read 2,161,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
To me, the operative word the OP used is "new." And from the list the new cities on a national scale that are hitting strides are:
Charlotte
Austin
Raleigh

I think we are hearing about these cities when it comes to politics, sports, business, and livability.
Replace Raleigh with Nashville and I would agree

Old 02-18-2020, 08:55 AM

9,601 posts, read 9,197,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Replace Raleigh with Nashville and I would agree
Raleigh's metro is impressive, downtown not so much. Nashville keeps getting better with so much construction going on.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:55 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,413,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I agree. I should have labeled it "Raleigh- Durham" or "RDU" or the "Research Triangle". But at the same, the title of the poll clearly says "cities/metros" . It's not like the poll title was labeled as solely "Raleigh" .
Agreed, I see what you mean

Old 02-18-2020, 11:06 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,413,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Raleigh's metro is impressive, downtown not so much. Nashville keeps getting better with so much construction going on.
I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City