Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities
New York City 43 23.63%
Los Angeles 31 17.03%
Chicago 20 10.99%
Dallas 60 32.97%
Houston 42 23.08%
Washington DC 58 31.87%
Miami 34 18.68%
Philadelphia 17 9.34%
Atlanta 47 25.82%
Boston 27 14.84%
Phoenix 22 12.09%
SF Bay Area 64 35.16%
Detroit 8 4.40%
Seattle 73 40.11%
Minneapolis 24 13.19%
San Diego 9 4.95%
Tampa 5 2.75%
Denver 45 24.73%
St. Louis 2 1.10%
Baltimore 2 1.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 05:11 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times

Advertisements

DC
Seattle
San Francisco
Miami
Austin
Minneapolis
Houston
Atlanta
Boston
Orlando
Tampa
Charlotte
Raleigh (definitely)
Denver
Portland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 05:24 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
you obviously have not been to Brickell recently nor seen the development that has and is taking place this past decade in Edgewater, Downtown, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Design District, and portions of Miami Beach (SoBe, Faena District, Surfside, and Bay Harbor) if you think it is stuck in the 1980's and 1990's and/or if you still think its a seasonal only city attracting my retired Uncle Seymour and Cuban dishwashers and ex cons who sell cocaine on the side. This completely ignores the South Americans, Europeans, Russians, Canadians, Northeast transplants, and others who have and continue to relocate here, some--such as myself who relocated from California--who live here year round.

When was the last time you were actually here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Charlotte, Austin, Seattle, Denver, Vegas, Nashville, Columbus and Minneapolis have been superstars.

Miami has not been a super star, I don't get why some people think that. Its reputation seems a bit outdated at this point, had its prime "fame" years in the 80's and 90's. It's still a great city and doing well for itself, but I don't think it's transformed enough or been brought up enough with people as a popular moving destination over this past decade. It's still kind of what it's always been; a tropical getaway vacation destination.

Edit: Portland, SF, Dallas and Houston should also be mentioned.

I think Boise, Cincinnati, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, Charleston, Jacksonville (FL), Birmingham (AL), Cleveland, Kansas City, and Pittsburgh will be the growers/superstars of the 2020's, that' my prediction.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:28 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
you obviously have not been to Brickell recently nor seen the development that has and is taking place in Edgewater, Downtown, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Design District, and portions of Miami Beach (SoBe, Faena District, Surfside, and Bay Harbor) if you think it is stuck in the 1980's and 1990's and/or if you still think its a seasonal only city attracting my retired Uncle Seymour and Cuban dishwashers and ex cons who sell cocaine on the side.

When was the last time you were actually here?
I never said it's stagnant or not growing.... I said I don't believe it qualifies as a "superstar" city for this past decade. The place's reputation hasn't changed drastically since the 80's, which again is a primarily beach city with great nightlife. It doesn't have the level of new-found fame that places like Austin and Portland have seen lately. I stand by my statement. Grand Rapids has also grown a lot, but I also wouldn't call it a superstar. Millennial population growth is a big factor on whether or not a city is a "superstar" for recent times. I don't see that in Miami to the extent of some of these other cities. It's a great city as I said though, and I'm happy to see the developments going on there, lots of foreign investment for sure. Miami, in terms of popularity falls in line with Chicago, Seattle, LA... in that it's always been a well known city. That's not a bad thing.

Last edited by CCrest182; 07-11-2019 at 05:38 PM..

Old 07-11-2019, 05:38 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,963 times
I'd say Seattle. It just seems like overnight it was able to instantly shoot to the top of lists and be included in the ranks with NYC, San Fran, LA, DC, etc. Largely thanks to Amazon, Redfin, etc. Tech has benefited them in a pretty prolific way so I'd go with Seattle if I had to pick a city.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:44 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
fair enough...and I'm not saying it's #1 the past decade, but it certainly has continued its transformation and witnessed tremendous growth from its misperception as a retiree and tourist/seasonal only city.

Quote:
I never said it's stagnant or not growing.... I said I don't believe it qualifies as a "superstar" city for this past decade. The place's reputation hasn't changed drastically since the 80's, which again is a primarily beach city with great nightlife. It doesn't have the level of new-found fame that places like Austin and Portland have seen lately. I stand by my statement. Grand Rapids has also grown a lot, but I also wouldn't call it a superstar. Millennial population growth is a big factor on whether or not a city is a "superstar" for recent times. I don't see that in Miami to the extent of some of these other cities. It's a great city as I said though, and I'm happy to see the developments going on there, lots of foreign investment for sure. Miami, in terms of popularity falls in line with Chicago, Seattle, LA... in that it's always been a well known city. That's not a bad thing.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:12 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
Charlotte, Nashville, Columbus, Salt Lake City, Orlando, Raleigh/Durham, San Antonio, and Austin all have to be on such a list. They're all booming nicely with no end in sight.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:18 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Nashville, Portland, Austin, Charlotte, San Antonio, Raleigh, and Vegas should not be missing from this poll.
I should have added beyond the top 20 metros, didn’t realize the poll could have so many options.

Obviously Charlotte, Nashville, Austin, each belong in the discussion.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:19 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Charlotte, Austin, Seattle, Denver, Vegas, Nashville, Columbus and Minneapolis have been superstars.

Miami has not been a super star, I don't get why some people think that. Its reputation seems a bit outdated at this point, had its prime "fame" years in the 80's and 90's. It's still a great city and doing well for itself, but I don't think it's transformed enough or been brought up enough with people as a popular moving destination over this past decade. It's still kind of what it's always been; a tropical getaway vacation destination.

Edit: Portland, SF, Dallas and Houston should also be mentioned.

I think Boise, Cincinnati, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, Charleston, Jacksonville (FL), Birmingham (AL), Cleveland, Kansas City, and Pittsburgh will be the growers/superstars of the 2020's, that' my prediction.
https://www.bizjournals.com/southflo...re/crane-watch

Miami Real Estate Market Trends And Forecasts 2019

https://magiccitydistrict.com/inside...ty/#our-vision

Old 07-11-2019, 06:30 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
Yeah I should've worded that differently... I meant that Miami hasn't seen this newfound resurgence of fame like some people might think. It's been popular, and still is. Therefore, I wouldn't call it a "superstar" in the 2010's in the sense that it's went from nothing to something, again like Austin or Columbus. This is why I also think NYC, Chicago, and LA should all be withdrawn from this list, because they always have been, and still are superstars. Seattle I think could fall into newfound "superstar", not only because its population growth alone has been very significant, but also that companies like Amazon which are based there, have become MASSIVELY more important over the past 10 years.

Last edited by CCrest182; 07-11-2019 at 06:42 PM..

Old 07-11-2019, 07:14 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Tier 1
Seattle
DC
San Francisco

Tier 2
Austin
Dallas/Ft Worth
Denver

Tier 3
Charlotte
Phoenix
Houston

Tier 4
Nashville
Raleigh/Research triangle
Columbus
Las Vegas

Special Mention: Chicago because of the rebirth of its central areas.

2020 superstar cities/risers:
Tier 1:
Philadelphia, Boise, Richmond, San Antonio,

Tier 2-3:
Sacramento, Detroit, Cincinnati or Louisville, Salt Lake City, Colorado Springs, Minneapolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City