Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could Baltimore become an equal of the other 4 n.e. corridor cities?
No 18 38.30%
Slim chance 12 25.53%
50/50 8 17.02%
Likely 2 4.26%
Yes 7 14.89%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 11:05 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times

Advertisements

I'm okay that we fly under the radar in some (many) instances. Obvious exceptions include crime and poverty, which are of course at unacceptable levels in certain parts of the city. However, truly changing these realities will require a mammoth concerted effort across multiple levels. There are some truly lovely parts of the city, though, and the housing options are pretty good, especially compared to something comparable in, say, D.C. Baltimore will continue to do its own thing for the next foreseeable future, but one could imagine it turning the corner if it improves in certain achievable aspects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 11:08 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The Philadelphia MSA and Boston MSA are pretty similar in economic performance and general stats, so its not in left field to claim Philadelphia as number 3....

On a city level is where Boston pulls away.

I don't get the economic performance claim. Boston has a 2017 per-capita GDP of $78,465. Philly is $63,519. The MSA population of the two regions isn't all that different. Philly is 20% bigger.

I like Center City other than when I accidentally stray into the homeless enclaves like under the convention center. It would be nice if Baltimore could morph into something like that where it's gentrified from Inner Harbor to Johns Hopkins but I don't see it happening.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:19 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't get the economic performance claim. Boston has a 2017 per-capita GDP of $78,465. Philly is $63,519. The MSA population of the two regions isn't all that different. Philly is 20% bigger.

I like Center City other than when I accidentally stray into the homeless enclaves like under the convention center. It would be nice if Baltimore could morph into something like that where it's gentrified from Inner Harbor to Johns Hopkins but I don't see it happening.
It's happening now. Perkins homes is currently relocating residents to make way for demolition. Jonestown is planned for a major development. EBDI is still building in the area, though I haven't researched much in way of current happenings.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:27 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I would think you'd see the following in many cases if people were to rank:

1. New York
2. Washington
3. Boston/Philadelphia
5. Baltimore
This is likely how these cities in this region will always be ranked.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:05 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
I imagine Baltimore in 10-15 years as being like Cincinnati is now: starting to grow in population and in its economy, and with reductions in crime, and a regional hipster destination, but not a true major city by national standards.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:18 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You're rating Philly over Boston? What metrics could you possibly be using? Certainly not median household income, percent college educated, universities, venture capital, significant global significance in various economic sectors. Boston is bigger than Philly in Big Pharma/biotech. Philly has the Comcast death star but their bleeding edge tech groups are in Silicon Valley since nobody will relo to Philly. Philly has a far larger population but it's not like the ghetto contributes to the economy.

Going back on-topic....

I don't see Baltimore solving their issues where it gentrifies to the point where large employers who create intellectual property will want to move there. Inner Harbor and environs is fine. Even round Johns Hopkins isn't particularly gentrified yet.
Actually in the Philly Vs Boston thread I do note how Boston is definitely doing better in most ways ,but that it is potentially poised much better for future growth. Edit hilly is poised better for future growth I mean.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:55 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Philadelphia grow better and improve it QOL much faster than Boston. Boston is too constrained by inequality, failing transit, high costs and nimbyism to really how out to it’s potential. A little to corrupt-but in a soft way. Philadelphia is in a better position to facilitate growth and improvement-in part because it’s starting from a lower point. Boston has pretty much fixed everything it can. It could go higher if it were more politically free and had more political will amongst leadership.

I move to Bmore from Boston. Baltimore must elect on multiple level a new political class, of people much younger more diverse and much more transplants. Baltimore cannot execute many basic functions as a city. It has tremendous potential to increase QOL but will always be least important due to the modern economy. It could become nicer than Philly for QOL though.

Baltimore must first focus on beautification and trash pick up. Then it can begin work on crime. Then it can begin work on schools, then with a budget surplus and improved credit rating i it can begin work on transit. Done effectively starting today. Baltimore could be drastically improved in 25 years. Nightlife food, history, architecture, walkability and entertainment is already strong and would only improve.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:54 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I imagine Baltimore in 10-15 years as being like Cincinnati is now: starting to grow in population and in its economy, and with reductions in crime, and a regional hipster destination, but not a true major city by national standards.
Baltimore's GDP is 40% larger than Cincinnati and sits right under Denver in terms of economic power. Economy has never been a weak point of the city, QOL to the residents has.

What Baltimore needs to do is fix it's corruption & crime like yesterday. It's what drives the dystopian image Baltimore has gotten as of late and prevents the city from getting the normal investments it's 4 regional sister cities receive in boat loads. That being said, the city is making substantial strides that go under the radar and has plenty of pre existing things that uplift it.

While it will never match the other 4 in global/national prominence, it doesn't need to.

Last edited by Joakim3; 07-14-2019 at 03:09 AM..

Old 07-14-2019, 05:03 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Baltimore is significantly larger than Cincinnati (today) with a significantly greater location than Cincinnati. It will never get too lost in the sauce because of where it is. Better airport and rail access, and name is recognized more globally. Which is what I believe the OP is questioning here.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:02 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times
No.

It’s not so much Baltimore (although I would put it in a national perspective as Pittsburgh or St. Louis or Cleveland). It’s just Philly, Boston, DC, NYC are among the most major metros in the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City