Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will build a supertall (1000 foot) building?
Denver 12 5.63%
Minneapolis 6 2.82%
Boston 24 11.27%
Indianapolis 4 1.88%
Dallas 86 40.38%
Austin 38 17.84%
Charlotte 23 10.80%
Cleveland 8 3.76%
Columbus 1 0.47%
Detroit 11 5.16%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 09:41 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,026,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I don't know where they are on this project, but Austin did announce a supertall skyscraper:

https://www.statesman.com/story/busi...853.1691976210

Dallas got over 3X the votes of Austin in the poll.
People voting were either voting with their heart or they don't understand the height restrictions posed by Dallas' Love Field.

The train has likely left the station for Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2023, 10:09 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Waterline (the one linked) is currently under construction and it will become the tallest building in Texas. Austin also announced the Wilson Tower (which would be 1035 feet) but unfortunately the project has been scaled down from 80 floors to 45 so it probably will not hit 1000 feet. Don’t know why people were not voting Austin in this poll.
I think maybe since the poll was from 2019? Austin has really taken off to another level in terms of skyscraper construction since then.

Excited to see Austin building more and more.

Other cities I'd put on this list would be Miami, San Fran, Seattle, LA, Charlotte, NYC of course, Chicago, Philadelphia and an outlier could be Nashville.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:10 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,299,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I think maybe since the poll was from 2019? Austin has really taken off to another level in terms of skyscraper construction since then.

Other cities I'd put on this list would be Miami, San Fran, Seattle, LA, Charlotte, NYC of course, Chicago, Philadelphia and an outlier could be Nashville.
San Francisco, LA, NYC, Chicago, and Philadelphia already have 1000 foot skyscrapers in place, the entire point of the poll was to identify a city that does not have one that could get one.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:12 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,299,341 times
Quote:
Waterline (the one linked) is currently under construction and it will become the tallest building in Texas. Austin also announced the Wilson Tower (which would be 1035 feet) but unfortunately the project has been scaled down from 80 floors to 45 so it probably will not hit 1000 feet. Don’t know why people were not voting Austin in this poll.
The one thing Austin actually deserves hype for it couldn't get.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:28 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
San Francisco, LA, NYC, Chicago, and Philadelphia already have 1000 foot skyscrapers in place, the entire point of the poll was to identify a city that does not have one that could get one.
These cities I listed have good chances of building MORE over 1000 feet.

That was my point of calling those cities out: San Fran, LA, Chicago, NYC, Miami, Philly.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:33 AM

2,228 posts, read 1,401,312 times
Quote:
As far as I understand The Wilson tower was not a real proposal; it was basically a publicity stunt by a small time developer. We'll see if they even end up building the ~550 ft version that is proposed now. There were 1-2 other potential supertall sites in Austin but I imagine that the pandemic and rising interest rates has sent those plans into hibernation for the moment. Residential demand is pretty healthy but there is a glut of office space like everywhere else.

Old 08-14-2023, 12:54 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
People voting were either voting with their heart or they don't understand the height restrictions posed by Dallas' Love Field.

The train has likely left the station for Dallas.
I love skyscrapers and a supertall would be great, but there are only a few sites in Downtown that I know for sure that can have one (these sites have unlimited height). The site that Perot owns, which he has proposed numerous office towers for, including a supertall. Perot now has another proposed skyscraper called Field St Tower and it’s like 600 ft. The site directly across the street on Field St, where the Field St District is proposed is another one. In the 80s, a supertall was proposed on that site. That site is where developers got zoning permission for a 100 story tower. The 80s crash killed that. The height would’ve been nearly equivalent to the Sears Tower in Chicago. Now, they’ve reduced the planned skyscrapers in that new development to 18-25 story high-rises. So, I don’t have hope for one happening in the future…unless something dramatic happens by then.

Rendering of proposed supertall in the 80s

Which city is most likely to build a 1000 foot skyscraper?-img_4983.jpeg

Old 08-14-2023, 02:12 PM

176 posts, read 175,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
For cost and demand reasons I don't see any cities other than NY and Chicago building supertalls any time soon.

Miami are building lots of tall buildings, but those are residential so they are not that tall.

SF is short on building space but I don't see them going the 1000+ route either.

In the hierarchy of possibility I would say:

NY, Chicago- highly likely
Philadelphia, SF- next best bets
Los Angeles, Houston- markets would have to be REALLY good
Miami, Boston, Seattle, Dallas- eccentric billionaires do crazy stuff,
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Miami has 5 proposed buildings that would exceed 1000 feet, with a few more barely short of that:

https://therealdeal.com/miami/2019/0...osed-in-miami/
There are at least 9 proposals for new super tall towers in downtown Miami at FAA restricted maximum height of 1049 ft above sea level.

the Waldorf Astoria is under construction
https://www.thenextmiami.com/video-h...ria-supertall/

Serious progress has recently been made on another 3 projects.

One Brickell City Centre which will be attached to a revamped Metromover station and the already built Brickell Centre
https://www.thenextmiami.com/one-bri...ets-utilities/

One Bayfront Plaza
https://www.thenextmiami.com/interio...upertall-site/

Hyatt at Miami River Bridge
https://www.thenextmiami.com/miami-c...ew-renderings/
https://www.thenextmiami.com/land-le...oot-supertall/

I believe there is a 900 footer and a couple of 800's under construction.
I'm not sure how tall this one is, but it will be a beauty if/when its built.

https://www.thenextmiami.com/agreeme...moves-forward/

Old 08-18-2023, 01:10 PM

3,889 posts, read 2,204,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

I remember reading an article that said that Austin is now the tallest city in Tx.

Old 08-18-2023, 01:52 PM

3,534 posts, read 2,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I remember reading an article that said that Austin is now the tallest city in Tx.
Nowhere close. Houston is almost neck and neck with Miami by +100m buildings.

Austin definitely will catch and pass Dallas however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City