Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will build a supertall (1000 foot) building?
Denver 12 5.63%
Minneapolis 6 2.82%
Boston 24 11.27%
Indianapolis 4 1.88%
Dallas 86 40.38%
Austin 38 17.84%
Charlotte 23 10.80%
Cleveland 8 3.76%
Columbus 1 0.47%
Detroit 11 5.16%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 01:46 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Houston may not be building more supertalls, but it is building as many towers.

Houston has been tall for 4 decades now.
Building a 700 fairer in Houston barely cracks the you 10 for the city. Building a 700 footer in Austin instantly made it the tallest in the city.

Austin was just catching up. All it's tallest towers has been built in the last few years.

Houston completed Texas tower 2 years ago. If that building was in Austin at the time it would be the tallest building in Austin.

So you r question is valid for Dallas and San Antonio, but you can't really say Houston isn't building too

Dallas has built like only one 500footer in the last 30 years and San Antonio probably only had one building over 500ft.

While Austin just has about 10 buildings over 500ft, Houston has like 40. Houston is by far the tallest city in Texas and it is still putting up towers.a developer bought a series of lots near Houston’s convention district a few years ago. It is just finishing phase one, and future phases are planned to be taller.
I personally wish San Antonio could get another tall building. Since IIRC the tallest building currently in San Antonio, reminds me too much of the Stratosphere building in Las Vegas. Would be nice if it could get another such tall building, myself. SA could probably use more than just 1 more tall building, where at least a couple would be better. Don't just build all the tall buildings in Austin....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 05:12 PM

325 posts, read 203,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I personally wish San Antonio could get another tall building. Since IIRC the tallest building currently in San Antonio, reminds me too much of the Stratosphere building in Las Vegas. Would be nice if it could get another such tall building, myself. SA could probably use more than just 1 more tall building, where at least a couple would be better. Don't just build all the tall buildings in Austin....
Depends on what your definition of tall is I guess, but in the last few years there's been the Frost Tower (400 feet), 300 Main just topped out a few months ago (388 feet) and the Thompson hotel (320 feet).

300 Main is the first residential building of it's size in downtown SA (it might even be one of the first apartment towers period), so assuming it does well and the capital market warms back up, I'm sure there will be a decent amount of stuff to come.

The firm that was behind the Frost Tower and 300 Main basically owns all of the empty plots in west downtown, so they obviously have something cooking up.

Old 09-11-2023, 06:13 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
Depends on what your definition of tall is I guess, but in the last few years there's been the Frost Tower (400 feet), 300 Main just topped out a few months ago (388 feet) and the Thompson hotel (320 feet).

300 Main is the first residential building of it's size in downtown SA (it might even be one of the first apartment towers period), so assuming it does well and the capital market warms back up, I'm sure there will be a decent amount of stuff to come.

The firm that was behind the Frost Tower and 300 Main basically owns all of the empty plots in west downtown, so they obviously have something cooking up.

I'm glad some new buildings are being built, in San Antonio. Hope more buildings are built in SA, down the road.

Old 09-11-2023, 07:01 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Houston may not be building more supertalls, but it is building as many towers.

Houston has been tall for 4 decades now.
Building a 700 fairer in Houston barely cracks the you 10 for the city. Building a 700 footer in Austin instantly made it the tallest in the city.

Austin was just catching up. All it's tallest towers has been built in the last few years.

Houston completed Texas tower 2 years ago. If that building was in Austin at the time it would be the tallest building in Austin.

So you r question is valid for Dallas and San Antonio, but you can't really say Houston isn't building too

Dallas has built like only one 500footer in the last 30 years and San Antonio probably only had one building over 500ft.

While Austin just has about 10 buildings over 500ft, Houston has like 40. Houston is by far the tallest city in Texas and it is still putting up towers.a developer bought a series of lots near Houston’s convention district a few years ago. It is just finishing phase one, and future phases are planned to be taller.
Technically two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City