Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will build a supertall (1000 foot) building?
Denver 12 5.63%
Minneapolis 6 2.82%
Boston 24 11.27%
Indianapolis 4 1.88%
Dallas 86 40.38%
Austin 38 17.84%
Charlotte 23 10.80%
Cleveland 8 3.76%
Columbus 1 0.47%
Detroit 11 5.16%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 10:15 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times

Advertisements

I know Miami was not on the original list but I feel compelled to point out, again, inaccurate information. 5 buildings exceeding 1000 feet have been proposed with another project falling 12 feet shy.

https://therealdeal.com/miami/2019/0...osed-in-miami/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Detroit is currently building a tower thats ~25m shy of being a supertall

Dallas & Boston have the economy to push for one, but the later has pretty much used up all it's height zoning due to Logan airport and the former doesn't have the density/land restrictions to need one

Charlotte & Austin are boom towns but they'd need a upper tier fortune 500 company willing to set up the HQ in the city... problem is, all the big cooperations are already comfortably seated in bigger metros so I don't see them throwing up a super-tall either.

Miami & Seattle are in the same boat as Boston and have used up most of its height zoning, so there out.

Houston or Atlanta could potentially cook something up, but if I had to put money on a city, it would be L.A. The city is holding the 2024 olympics and the population is rapidly growing. Philly would probably be second pick for throwing up another supertall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 10:53 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I know Miami was not on the original list but I feel compelled to point out, again, inaccurate information. 5 buildings exceeding 1000 feet have been proposed with another project falling 12 feet shy.

Aren't there some pretty strict height restrictions in Miami? I know they were trying to get some "exceptions" in some parts of the city, but IIRC, that was going to be 1,050 feet, and didn't include downtown and Brickell.

Proposals are just that: proposals. Often times, if they do get approved, it's after some pretty major alterations that are forced due to zoning/permitting restrictions. I'm not saying Miami won't get anything over 1,000ft in the future, but right now, the odds are slim. "One Brickell" has been "proposed" since 2014.

Edit: They ARE building Skyrise, which kind of qualifies.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:01 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
The biggest stumbling block in the past had been FAA approval, but they have now made exceptions and allow for a maximum height of 1,049 feet...and the prior link I provided did not mention the Skyrise project which will tout this new height limit. Skyrise construction is underway. The other projects are slated for downtown/Brickell.

“But in the last few years, under pressure from the city and developers, the FAA agreed to lift its cap over 1,000 feet for the first time — but only just over, at 1,049 feet.”

https://www.thenextmiami.com/watch-s...w-live-camera/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gol...i%3fformat=amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Aren't there some pretty strict height restrictions in Miami? I know they were trying to get some "exceptions" in some parts of the city, but IIRC, that was going to be 1,050 feet, and didn't include downtown and Brickell. I don't think these restrictions ever got lifted, either.

Proposals are just that: proposals. Often times, if they do get approved, it's after some pretty major alterations that are forced due to zoning/permitting restrictions. I'm not saying Miami won't get anything over 1,000ft in the future, but right now, the odds are slim. "One Brickell" has been "proposed" since 2014.

Last edited by elchevere; 07-16-2019 at 11:16 AM..

Old 07-16-2019, 12:28 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
The biggest stumbling block in the past had been FAA approval, but they have now made exceptions and allow for a maximum height of 1,049 feet...and the prior link I provided did not mention the Skyrise project which will tout this new height limit. Skyrise construction is underway. The other projects are slated for downtown/Brickell.

“But in the last few years, under pressure from the city and developers, the FAA agreed to lift its cap over 1,000 feet for the first time — but only just over, at 1,049 feet.â€

https://www.thenextmiami.com/watch-s...w-live-camera/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gol...i%3fformat=amp
Yeah, I edited my post after reading some more on this.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:55 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,620,541 times
Quote:

Actually Miami has 8 proposals (9 skyscrapers) over 1,000 feet and the maximum height allowed by the FAA in the immediate CBD / Brickell area is 1,049 feet.

The Skyscraper Center

As for the poll I thought Dallas already had a supertall. Anyways that is my pick.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:06 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:

The absolute height limit is 1049' in Miami but the FAA almost always chops them down to sub <300m. One Bayfront Plaza is the only approved supertall in Miami and thats been in developmental hell since 2004 so it's doubtful it will ever get built

Skyrise is being built but technically it's an observation tower like the Space Needle/CN Tower/Stratosphere etc..

Old 07-17-2019, 03:07 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Actually Miami has 8 proposals (9 skyscrapers) over 1,000 feet and the maximum height allowed by the FAA in the immediate CBD / Brickell area is 1,049 feet.

The Skyscraper Center

As for the poll I thought Dallas already had a supertall. Anyways that is my pick.
The Bank of America tower is ~280m tall.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:01 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,620,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
The Bank of America tower is ~280m tall.
Thanks, I figured Dallas had something close to a super tall.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:51 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
I voted Dallas, but could also see Charlotte doing it. Maybe Denver.

Boston almost certainly can't do it even if it wanted to because of FAA height restrictions. Of the areas within the 1,000+ foot allowable area, the vast majority are residential/low rise (East Cambridge/Charlestown), low rise residential and historic (Back Bay), additionally height capped well below 1,000 feet due to municipal regulations (Kendall Square/Cambridge), or just unbuildable space (water, highway, rail, etc.). There are MAYBE 2-3 spots just north of the Christian Science Center and just west of the Hynes Convention Center where a developer could theoretically build 1,000 feet or higher. But even then it would mean razing a parking garage/existing structure (vs. building on an open lot like many of these cities can do), and dealing with fierce neighborhood opposition from Back Bay, South End, and Fenway. So I don't think Boston is even in the discussion for possible 1,000 footers at this point.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:31 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
wherever does I hope it doesn't stand out to much

for whatever reason I don't appreciate skyscrapers as much when they seem like isolated islands

of this list maybe Austin, for various reasons the others I just see going that much taller then where they are any time soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City