Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Francisco or Philadelphia
San Francisco 72 53.73%
Philadelphia 62 46.27%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 07:53 AM

142 posts, read 86,265 times

Advertisements

Both cities are very different. But true rowhousing in Philly and virtually rowhousing of SF, but still unique and different type housing defines them.

Tecnically SF is a smaller city being on a peninsula. But metros and CSAs go much further. But without the typical urban built the city propers define.

COL limits SF to a much more limited population. It needs to build upward more. But limited by nimbyism. It still is a highly desired city by topography, history, weather and California mystic.

Philadelphia can claim a East Coast location though not on the ocean and much cheaper and larger city limits with proximity to NYC to boast of as a cheaper altetnative.

Both will have reasons to choose. I think SF of previous decades was much more desirable. Today SF is a boutique city just getting super-pricey that hurts it. Both cities one can point out issues that hurt them today. Just very different.

Appears a newly started thread was combined into a older thread with a poll.

Old 04-05-2020, 08:01 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkPositiveRespect View Post
Both cities are very different. But true rowhousing in Philly and virtually rowhousing of SF, but still unique and different type housing defines them.

Tecnically SF is a smaller city being on a peninsula. But metros and CSAs go much further. But without the typical urban built the city propers define.

COL limits SF to a much more limited population. It needs to build upward more. But limited by nimbyism. It still is a highly desired city by topography, history, weather and California mystic.

Philadelphia can claim a East Coast location though not on the ocean and much cheaper and larger city limits with proximity to NYC to boast of as a cheaper altetnative.

Both will have reasons to choose. I think SF of previous decades was much more desirable. Today SF is a boutique city just getting super-pricey that hurts it. Both cities one can point out issues that hurt them today.

Just very different.
I'm from Philadelphia and visited San Fran dozens of time.

Both are large, urban, walk-able and somewhat gritty cities. However, their vibes are very different.
Philadelphia was slower to the growth and boom game, but in 2020, I don't see any advantages that San Fran has over Philadelphia, both have their own set of problems, just different problems.
And while most major US cities have a homeless problem, the homeless and drug use in San Fran is jarring, its unavoidable even in the nicest parts of the city.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:40 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Following myself up to correct a serious error in this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'll end this post with the same song lyric I said captures the Philly addytood almost perfectly in that Quora answer. Eagles linebacker Jason Kelce (who has a brother who plays for the 49ers) led hundreds of thousands of cheering Iggles fans in it after the Birds won their first NFL championship since 1960 three years ago:

"We're from Philly. F**kin' Philly. No one likes us. We don't care."
Jason's brother Travis does not play for the 49ers.

He plays for this year's NFL champions, my forever hometown team, the Kansas City Chiefs.

There's a bar in South Philadelphia that's known to its fans and followers as "Arrowhead East." (Journalists for The Kansas City Star — and me, when I was contributing to 435 Magazine — have written about it for Kansas Citians.) Of course, I went there to watch Super Bowl LIV.

And the Eagles won Super Bowl LII, two years earlier. Iggles Nation was rooting for the Chiefs for two reasons, Travis Kelce being the lesser of the two. The bigger one: Coach Andy Reid, who took the Eagles all the way to the top, only to lose; most locals feel he deserved to win a Supe. He now has his ring.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:45 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkPositiveRespect View Post
Appears a newly started thread was combined into a older thread with a poll.
Yup. Moderator action.

And it really is in a sense a continuation of that older thread.

I didn't note that this was SanFranDan's very first post. Great way to introduce yourself on City-Data, Dan. It's one thing to be a homer, quite another to express that homerism in the form of gratuitous insults to another great city.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:19 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,922 times
I can afford Philadelphia a lot more than San Francisco, and I find it more fun, so my vote goes there. I've never not enjoyed my time in Philly actually.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:06 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I can afford Philadelphia a lot more than San Francisco, and I find it more fun, so my vote goes there. I've never not enjoyed my time in Philly actually.
IME, the only people who have something bad to say about Philly have never been there.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
IME, the only people who have something bad to say about Philly have never been there.
I've seen Philly, SF, Houston, Chicago, Atlanta as examples. We all can say some negatives of each city. We merely CHOOSE TO boost one we appreciate perhaps more, lived in and promote above others and yes some added insight at times.

But it does not take seeing a whole city many locals never even see over years. To only get enough to have a opinion. Even first opinions even still endure. Some areas of our cities really should not need to visit for various reasons. Gentrified to gentrifing neighborhhoods are most promoted anyway. They still give plenty of opinions on a city's look, street-grid, tree cover, grit revelant, cleaned, non-existent or it remains. Many aspects strike us as positives or negatives. These may not be ours. Along with a city's core. We do get a decent look to give opinions.

Most can gather much to present some opinions beyond merely stats on density hyped alone. Not everyone sees a tightest street-grid demands highest reguard over other traits that stand out.

But both Philly and SF are hard to mistake among our cities. What might hit similarities in cores. Differ in ringing neighborhoods with housing styles and aesthetic characteristics one can assess.

No one says one city gathers no respect. One can highlight negatives by opinion to stats. But one might gain aspects of elevation more. It is what comparisons bring out in these threads.

Much too much saying many just do not know or get this or that city's values and recent improvements to knock their opinions.

Yes one city in general will win these CvC threads. Does not mean the other city has them not really know thier prefered city enough to have that opinion.

I do not use Google street-view to gain some added knowlege of any city I visited too. A great tool to view neighborhoods I did not visit, or if a few years ago? To look for a bit of a review of posible changes. Not every city most visit every year. Past visits still matter. Stats and street view aid assesments.

Still sight by far, gain opinions that can push a city past the finish-line. Some aspects tarnish our opinions more, or we see as negatives more then anothers. Sadly, some cities gain more points in aesthetics alone. To push it to our win in these threads.

Those who favor Philly. Can still see this poll is not a slam dunk to SF. In the past it was. SF has its own tarnishing aspects today too.

Last edited by ThinkPositiveRespect; 04-06-2020 at 04:18 AM..

Old 04-06-2020, 09:49 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
*Economy: San Francisco
*Cost Of Living: Philadelphia
*Amenities: Hmm.. this ones hard to say because amenities is a subjective term
*Scenery: San Francisco
*Culture: If we are talking arts/culture, then IMO, Philadelphia
*Diversity: Hard to say, as another poster mentioned for these two
*Nightlife: Not really sure
*Infrastructure: Again-infrastructure is so broad it's difficult to say which
*Institutions: Comparable? I'm assuming we are talking education, civic, etc.
*Crime: San Francisco wins this
*Politics/Government: No comment as I don't know both well
*Weather: San Francisco
*Outlook For The 2020s + San Francisco

San Francisco is a more dynamic global city I think at this point, though for living, and on a number of levels I might be inclined to go with Philadelphia.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
*Economy: San Francisco
*Cost Of Living: Philadelphia
*Amenities: Hmm.. this ones hard to say because amenities is a subjective term
*Scenery: San Francisco
*Culture: If we are talking arts/culture, then IMO, Philadelphia
*Diversity: Hard to say, as another poster mentioned for these two
*Nightlife: Not really sure
*Infrastructure: Again-infrastructure is so broad it's difficult to say which
*Institutions: Comparable? I'm assuming we are talking education, civic, etc.
*Crime: San Francisco wins this
*Politics/Government: No comment as I don't know both well
*Weather: San Francisco
*Outlook For The 2020s + San Francisco

San Francisco is a more dynamic global city I think at this point, though for living, and on a number of levels I might be inclined to go with Philadelphia.
Very fair. Too many see things without realizing both cities have virtues and issues. Neither city is a runaway.

But many see COL and East Coast location sways them to Philly more in choice. Fair enough. Keeping it on topic.

A difficult choice even if one prefers SF. Knowing they could not afford it. Can be a deciding reason.

Most are defending Philly or like to see they are. Few posting on SF's. behalf. More increasingly voting for Philly too.

Seems it is best not to question those who relate more toward Philly's new found rebound. No one should deny it has potential to rise. Doesn't seem SF is falling anytime soon either. It is needed to feed Texas relocations too. So hopefully it doesn't.

We should remember that too. SF certianly has its issues for sure though.

Last edited by ThinkPositiveRespect; 04-06-2020 at 10:17 AM..

Old 04-06-2020, 11:16 AM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Are we doing a year in review for 2019?

PHILADELPHIA across the board for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City