Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Francisco or Philadelphia
San Francisco 72 53.73%
Philadelphia 62 46.27%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 09:49 PM

14,161 posts, read 9,047,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Agree, but I am still nervous. Philadelphia is easily poised to become an "it" city of the 2020s, it was obvious in 2018 and 2019 with the growth, development, reduction in poverty, increase in jobs, retaining grads, etc., but of course Covid + social unrest + crappy leadership + an overwhelmed / disorganized police force may lead to roadblocks along the way.

SF suffers from these problems too, possibly even worse in many circumstances.

But the stars were aligning for Philadelphia, I just hope that doesn't change as we move into 2021 and beyond.
Not that you're insensitive to this, but:

"It" cities tend to become unaffordable for all but the very rich and the very poor.

I don't want Philadelphia to become a member of that club ever. Now, if COVID has opened a window where "it" cities remain affordable for the broad (not just the upper) middle class, then fine, but I'm not sanguine about that happening.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:55 AM

724 posts, read 403,127 times
Have lived in Philly, and have visited SF a few times. Personally, I prefer Philly when just comparing cities, but I would prefer the Bay Area for living. The second time I visited the Bay Area, I got to go all across the Bay Area (San Jose, Oakland, Berkley) and saw lots of the nature in the region and was blown away at how beautiful the Bay Area is. I think in terms of economy, diversity, outdoors, safety, nightlife/ diverse activities, I'd give it to SF (or more accurately the Bay Area). For big city amenities, COL, and weather (I like 4 seasons), I'd give it to Philly. I love the Philly suburbs too.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City