Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 03:07 PM

1,210 posts, read 888,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietInKC View Post
But why Denver of all places?
Well, it is July in Houston. It doesn't get more miserable than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 03:16 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The Denver metropolitan area wouldn’t meet the criteria of being diverse to me. It’s solidly white with a significant Hispanic minority.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I never said Denver was diverse, nor was I trying to imply it is. In fact, I'm on the record saying Denver isn't diverse. My point was that, as a majority-white city, a person of color likely won't have any problems here other than maybe the culture shock of seeing a lot of white people around.

Denver's a pretty open city. The fact that it's super white yet has only had 2 non-Hispanic white mayors in the last 50 years is significant. Going back to 1983 the city's had a Latino (Federico Pena), an AA man (Wellington Webb), a white dude (John Hickenlooper), a Cubano (Bill Vidal), and another AA man (Michael Hancock) hold the highest office in the city.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:22 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Well, it is July in Houston. It doesn't get more miserable than that.
Ever been to the Midwest in January?

Old 08-07-2019, 09:26 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
LOL, why are Texans so defensive about the heat. Texas is hot, own it. And yeah, I'll take the midwest in January.

It is 10:24 pm in Houston right now and your heat index is 96. It's not like you can go somewhere to escape the heat. 97 in Dallas and CC, 96 in San Antonio. 98 in Austin. 10:26 at night.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
LOL, why are Texans so defensive about the heat. Texas is hot, own it. And yeah, I'll take the midwest in January.

It is 10:24 pm in Houston right now and your heat index is 96. It's not like you can go somewhere to escape the heat. 97 in Dallas and CC, 96 in San Antonio. 98 in Austin. 10:26 at night.
You thought I was being defensive? Funny.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:38 AM

27 posts, read 18,063 times
Quote:
You thought I was being defensive? Funny.
Kind of read that way but so what? Tired of northerners dictating what’s good or bad. I like the heat

Old 08-08-2019, 10:49 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
The O.P. would be leaving a city that is twice the size of Denver with WAY WAY more amenities, desiring a different experience. Denver would provide a different climate, but it like Houston is a sprawling sunbelt city in the middle of the country, and way more isolated. There are many cities that provide a much stronger contrast to Houston than Denver, and I have spent plenty time in both Denver and Dallas: same boxy 1980s skylines, with relatively dead downtowns with adjacent more lively neighborhoods, Rino and LoDo in Denver, Uptown and Deep Ellum in Dallas. The difference is Dallas is way more diverse. Denver is kinda whitebread. If you want whitebread, SLC is more whitebread than Denver. If you want a less middle of the road whitbread kinda place, ABQ has much more local flavor. If the OP skis, Denver would be great, but in terms of urban living it is a much lesser Houston. We need more criteria. If I wanted a different experience to Houston, I would not stay in the middle if the country, I would head to the Bosh/Wash corridor or coastal California, unless there are compelling personal reasons to be in Denver...

Denver is "isolated" but it's surrounded by beautiful rocky mountains and the best skiing in the country. I guess Houston isn't really isolated, but when you're sorrounded by such astounding locales such as Beaumont, Port Arthur, the diverse and cosmopolitan Jasper and the classiest of all Lake Charles, I think I'd rather be in isolation. Lest not forget the graceful scenery that is gulf coast oil refineries. Truly God's country. Nothing like the carcinogenic coast.

But that's just the perspective of someone who also lives in an "isolated city."

Old 08-08-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Leaving for allegedly greener pastures is pretty overrated. IMO having a home is really important. Transient experience-collecting is not what you hope it to be. If I could redo my 20s, I wouldn't have left my hometown.

Depends on what side of the pasture you're in. You live in Boston which if it wasn't for Minneapolis-Saint Paul, would be my next choice of where to live. But my hometown (Miami) was a place I hated living in, and everywhere I've lived since I've enjoyed more.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Kinda, yea. It's way better than Texas in July.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Kinda, yea. It's way better than Texas in July.
To each their own. I love the Midwest but I cant handle cold. Chicago is my favorite city in the US. I lived there for two years but I couldnt take it. I can put up with as much heat and humidity as you can throw at me, but I couldnt handle 4-5 months of pure cold. If I could have, Id still be there. Chicago is my favorite city and Wisconsin is my favorite state in the US.

Love that part of the country, but where Im at is much better for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City