Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 08:01 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Depends on what side of the pasture you're in. You live in Boston which if it wasn't for Minneapolis-Saint Paul, would be my next choice of where to live. But my hometown (Miami) was a place I hated living in, and everywhere I've lived since I've enjoyed more.
Lived in some cold weather locales, and was there a moment in January where I wished I was back in Texas? Almost, but then I thought about 95 degrees at 10 pm and bought some ear muffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 12:27 PM

63 posts, read 53,218 times
It seems like this poster is in search of something different than Texas for a change of scenery.

The weather in Denver will be different from Houston. So that is goes on his plus column.
Denver has better commute times. Plus
Denver is close to the Rockies. Plus
Denver is in a different region with a different culture to try out. Plus.

The poster is a lawyer. He will earn enough to live in either city without serious negative impact to cost of living and happiness.

He will be able to buy a house in Denver but instead of the huge Suburban home on a larger lot, you will get a smaller, (forgive me Coloradoan's) uglyish suburban home with a tiny lot (if you are married with kids.) unless you move into the more attractive, more expensive older parts of the city. But at least everyone around you has the same thing so you wont feel so bad. To me, the biggest downside is that you would wish to spend less on real estate so you have more fun money when you live in Colorado, but realistically that may be hard to do that.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:20 AM

158 posts, read 144,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
ABQ and SLC actually have mountains in the city rather than adjacent and are both cheaper and more fun than Denver in my experience.
ABQ is more fun than Denver? Really??? That is the first time I have ever heard that. Clearly you do not know much about Denver as it is a very vibrant and thriving city with a ton of stuff to do

Old 08-11-2019, 02:59 AM

817 posts, read 598,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler1026 View Post
ABQ is more fun than Denver? Really??? That is the first time I have ever heard that. Clearly you do not know much about Denver as it is a very vibrant and thriving city with a ton of stuff to do
Without the mountains Denver would be Oklahoma City.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:15 AM

27 posts, read 18,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Without the mountains Denver would be Oklahoma City.
Got friends that live there. This week there was a chapel le show, a stones concert and billy Joel. This is like saying miami would be nothing without the beach. Well guess what, it has the beach

Old 08-11-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Got friends that live there. This week there was a chapel le show, a stones concert and billy Joel. This is like saying miami would be nothing without the beach. Well guess what, it has the beach
Right. But so does Salt Lake. And, unlike much of the Denver area, people in Salt Lake have easy and quick access to those mountains. You cannot say, "mountains aside Denver is a much better city" because you cannot put the moutains aside from either city.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:40 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,423 times
Default I wouldn't do it!

Don't leave Houston and go to Denver. I lived in Denver and now live in Houston. Believe me after you have been to the Rocky Mountains several times you will lose interest!. Otherwise Denver is just a smaller city that is very, very windy and cold for most of the year. It is situated on the great plains and then you have to drive to get to the mountains.
I remember that the northern parts of Denver smell like Cow Dung and you get an Ammonia smell in the summer from all the cattle ranches to the east. Sure downtown is nice and the Denver Mint is there but it has far less amenities than Houston. I'm not trying to discourage you but you can always go on vacation to see the cool stuff in Denver and other areas. BTW your cost of living will go up significantly in Denver.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Don't leave Houston and go to Denver. I lived in Denver and now live in Houston. Believe me after you have been to the Rocky Mountains several times you will lose interest!. Otherwise Denver is just a smaller city that is very, very windy and cold for most of the year. It is situated on the great plains and then you have to drive to get to the mountains.
I remember that the northern parts of Denver smell like Cow Dung and you get an Ammonia smell in the summer from all the cattle ranches to the east. Sure downtown is nice and the Denver Mint is there but it has far less amenities than Houston. I'm not trying to discourage you but you can always go on vacation to see the cool stuff in Denver and other areas. BTW your cost of living will go up significantly in Denver.
Honestly, I agree with your post but one of the things I miss about Denver is the smell of manure that wafts down from the stockyards in Greeley when a winter storm approaches from the north.

Aside from that, the odd thing about Denver is that people are mainly attracted by its closeness to the mountains, and yet the population growth (of people mainly attracted by the mountains) has made accessing those mountains almost not worth it due to traffic. It is tough to go anywhere on weekends, and ski traffic is like Houston at rush hour, but for an entire day.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:39 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Right. But so does Salt Lake. And, unlike much of the Denver area, people in Salt Lake have easy and quick access to those mountains. You cannot say, "mountains aside Denver is a much better city" because you cannot put the moutains aside from either city.
Sounds like you're either a Texan or a guy who hated Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City