Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 04:54 PM

14 posts, read 14,893 times

Advertisements

I'm a late 20s something lawyer who has never lived outside of Texas. I work in the oil and gas industry and opportunities here in Houston are plenty. I just passed the bar and I'm for the first time in life experiencing the young urban professional scene here in Houston and I'm really liking it. Problem is, I've lived in Texas my entire life and thinking that I might be missing out by not seeing what the rest of the country has to offer. Should I leave my hometown even if it means forgoing opportunities as well as missing out on what my friends/family are doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 04:59 PM

264 posts, read 252,074 times
I wouldn't. You don't have to live in the cities to see what the rest of the USA has to offer as you can just travel. But why Denver of all places?

Old 07-22-2019, 05:24 PM

10,103 posts, read 14,514,498 times
I would take a few months off and travel--if you can, financially. Have some fun, explore places in the US and abroad, then come back and grind it out for a few years and make money. Reassess Houston after 2-3 years in a job, and if you are itching to move away, then do it, give yourself a year (get a job first before you move), and then reassess again.

Life is short--it goes by fast, and if you don't do something in your 20s you feel in your gut, you might regret it.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:37 PM

37,273 posts, read 39,586,354 times
Is there something particular about Denver that's attracting you? It sounds like you just want to try elsewhere, but that's more of a push without having talked about much of a pull.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:46 PM

16,137 posts, read 10,814,743 times
Staying where you are makes the most sense if you like it there and are making a good living. You will soon be stuck there with a job, friends, family, school, PTA, little league or gymnastics. That’s what happens. If you know you will regret not moving then move, otherwise be happy to go visit other places on vacation.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:08 PM

12,906 posts, read 9,640,243 times
stay in Texas man.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:15 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,166,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsrobss View Post
I'm a late 20s something lawyer who has never lived outside of Texas. I work in the oil and gas industry and opportunities here in Houston are plenty. I just passed the bar and I'm for the first time in life experiencing the young urban professional scene here in Houston and I'm really liking it. Problem is, I've lived in Texas my entire life and thinking that I might be missing out by not seeing what the rest of the country has to offer. Should I leave my hometown even if it means forgoing opportunities as well as missing out on what my friends/family are doing?
The problem with Denver is it's just not a good place to settle down and buy a house, especially if you want a family. If you don't want that, it's certainly an option.

It's always hard to know what you would have missed, both the good and the bad though.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:42 PM

14 posts, read 14,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
The problem with Denver is it's just not a good place to settle down and buy a house, especially if you want a family. If you don't want that, it's certainly an option.

It's always hard to know what you would have missed, both the good and the bad though.
See I'm not looking to settle down there, just looking to spend a couple of years in a new part of America to have that experience and be able to say that I lived somewhere else. I feel like Texas will be my permanent home.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:13 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,777,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsrobss View Post
See I'm not looking to settle down there, just looking to spend a couple of years in a new part of America to have that experience and be able to say that I lived somewhere else. I feel like Texas will be my permanent home.
Denver is like Dallas with mountains: capital of the western plains, capital of the southern plains. I like Houston better than both of them. If you want a different experience, I would try New York, Chicago, the Bay Area, Boston, Philly, Miami. If you want mountains, ABQ and SLC actually have mountains in the city rather than adjacent and are both cheaper and more fun than Denver in my experience.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:27 PM

8,611 posts, read 14,934,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Denver is like Dallas with mountains
Having actually lived in both DFW and Denver, I can safely say you have no clue what you're talking about.

Quote:
If you want mountains, ABQ and SLC actually have mountains in the city rather than adjacent and are both cheaper and more fun than Denver in my experience.
Keep in mind this is coming from a guy whose idea of fun is
Quote:
eating, dancing, drinking, listening to music and getting laid.
Neither SLC nor ABQ have the same quantity of big-city amenities that Denver has. ABQ has great food, but its economy is a fraction the size of Denver's. SLC has fantastic outdoor recreation, but its nightlife is terrible, and at roughly 200k, SLC proper (the largest city in Utah) is about 1/3 the population of Denver proper.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 07-22-2019 at 09:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City