Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Seattle overtake San Francisco in dominance?
Yes 24 14.63%
No 110 67.07%
Maybe 30 18.29%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 08:38 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,232,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I have nothing negative to say about Seattle, it's a city whose star is rising fast and I have long considered its downtown among the nation's top 5.

They have many of the issues we face but perhaps to a lesser degree, but those arent deal breakers for me.
Every city has its positives and negatives. San Francisco has been so far ahead for so long that it seems impossible for Seattle to catch up. I mean, let’s be honest. Most people would prefer the climate of the Bay Area, it has a better food scene, it’s more urban, it has a richer history, and it’s much bigger. Culturally I think both cities have really taken a big hit in the past two decades, and LA more than any other city has been the beneficiary of that. And when tech relocates out of the Bay, it doesn’t just go to Seattle.

Plus, Seattle is already bursting at the seams. We have mountains and bays and lakes all around that really inhibit development. We are urbanizing at a rapid pace but trees don’t grow to the sky. I can’t imagine Seattle ever overtaking the Bay Area in my lifetime, barring some catastrophic event.

Seattle and SF share some characteristics and some problems for sure, but I think Seattle will continue to be the third city of the West Coast for quite some time. And I’m quite okay with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 08:52 PM

3,556 posts, read 2,348,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Haha you think this is a matter of opinion? CSAs are a matter of mathematics just like MSAs are.

And why are you so thirsty to inject DC-Baltimore into this conversation? No one here is remotely interested.
You are right, they are both mathematics and the mathematics show the MSAs are better at representing metro regions (I.e this thread). There is a reason the government uses MSAs for virtually all city statistics, not CSAs.

Because SF & DC boosters all sound the same every-time they use CSA's in any comparison thread

I'm not going to respond after this. I'm going to cordially agree to disagree with you and keep it moving.

Last edited by Joakim3; 08-01-2019 at 09:13 PM..

Old 08-01-2019, 09:04 PM

3,556 posts, read 2,348,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
My experience isn't as deep as yours with DC-Balt...but google has maps. It's mostly low-density between the two. This isn't a question.
No rebuttal needed. DC-Baltimore have suburban sprawl, SF-Oakland & San Jose do not due to their geography constraints.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:15 PM

36,666 posts, read 67,609,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
You are right, they are both mathematics and the mathematics show the MSAs are better at representing regions
Haha MSAs represent areas that meet a criteria just like CSAs. You seem really bothered by that fact.

Quote:
which is why the government use MSAs for city statistics not CSAs.
Yes and we can look at govt data on CSAs and analyze it as well. Again, this seems to bother you.

Quote:
Because SF & DC boosters sound the same everytime they use CSA's in threads
So you think we're going to listen to you?

Old 08-01-2019, 10:41 PM

8,884 posts, read 6,904,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
No rebuttal needed. DC-Baltimore have suburban sprawl, SF-Oakland & San Jose do not due to their geography constraints.
Yes, it's amazing that people argue otherwise. SF's sprawl is really dense all the way around the Bay Area, but it can still be called sprawl.

It's like some people don't know we have maps and googles.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:55 AM

I thought it would be much closer, but SFO has twice as many foreign flag carriers as SEA

Seattle-Tacoma International Airport(SEA): 23 Foreign Flag Airlines':
Aer Lingus: Dublin
Aeroméxico: Mexico City
Air Canada: Toronto–Pearson
Air Canada Express: Calgary, Vancouver
Air France: Paris-Charles De Gaulle
ANA: Tokyo-Narita
Asiana Airlines : Seoul–Incheon
British Airways : London–Heathrow
Cathay Pacific: Hong Kong
Condor : Frankfurt
Emirates: Dubai–International
EVA Air : Taipei–Taoyuan
Hainan Airlines: Beijing–Capital, Shanghai–Pudong
Icelandair : Reykjavík–Keflavík
Japan Airlines: Tokyo–Narita
Korean Air: Seoul–Incheon
Lufthansa: Frankfurt
Norwegian Air: Seasonal: London–Gatwick
Singapore Airlines : Singapore
Thomas Cook Airlines: Manchester (UK)
Virgin Atlantic: London-Heathrow
Volaris: Guadalajara

San Francisco International Airport(SFO): 47 Foreign Flag Airlines'
Aer Lingus: Dublin
Aeroméxico: Guadalajara, Mexico City
Air Canada: Montréal–Trudeau, Toronto–Pearson, Vancouver
Air Canada Express: Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver
Air China :Beijing–Capital
Air France: Paris–Charles de Gaulle
Air India: Delhi
Air Italy: Milan–Malpensa
Air New Zealand : Auckland
All Nippon Airways Tokyo–Narita
Asiana Airlines : Seoul–Incheon
Avianca El Salvador: San Salvador
British Airways: London–Heathrow
Cathay Pacific: Hong Kong
China Airlines: Taipei–Taoyuan
China Eastern Airlines: Qingdao, Kunming, Shanghai–Pudong
China Southern Airlines: Guangzhou, Wuhan
Copa Airlines : Panama City
El Al: Tel Aviv
Emirates: Dubai–International
EVA Air: Taipei–Taoyuan
Fiji Airways: Nadi
Finnair: Helsinki
French Bee: Papeete, Paris–Orly
Hong Kong Airlines : Hong Kong
Iberia: : Madrid
Icelandair: Reykjavík–Keflavík
Interjet: Cancún, Guadalajara
Japan Airlines: Tokyo–Haneda
KLM: Amsterdam
Korean Air: Seoul–Incheon
Level Barcelona
Lufthansa: Frankfurt, Munich
Norwegian Air: Barcelona, London–Gatwick, Paris–Charles de Gaulle
Philippine Airlines: Manila
Qantas: Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney
Scandinavian Airlines: Copenhagen
Singapore Airlines: Hong Kong, Singapore
Swiss International Air Lines: Zürich
TAP Air Portugal: Lisbon
Thomas Cook Airlines: Manchester
Turkish Airlines: Istanbul
Virgin Atlantic : London–Heathrow
Volaris: Mexico City, Guadalajara
WestJet : Calgary, Vancouver
XL Airways France: Paris–Charles de Gaulle

Old 08-02-2019, 10:51 AM

8,884 posts, read 6,904,440 times
Seattle is a very middling international flight market...both carriers, routes, and frequency.

That's after our international traffic already doubled in this decade, to somewhere in the 5-6 million-passenger range. When the new international arrivals facility opens next year, that logjam will disappear and maybe we'll get another jump.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle is a very middling international flight market...both carriers, routes, and frequency.

That's after our international traffic already doubled in this decade, to somewhere in the 5-6 million-passenger range. When the new international arrivals facility opens next year, that logjam will disappear and maybe we'll get another jump.
Seattle actually does very well. 23 is far more than any western airport after LAX and SFO and probably ranks in the top 10 US airports as far as foreign carriers.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:40 AM

21,701 posts, read 12,848,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Every city has its positives and negatives. San Francisco has been so far ahead for so long that it seems impossible for Seattle to catch up. I mean, let’s be honest. Most people would prefer the climate of the Bay Area, it has a better food scene, it’s more urban, it has a richer history, and it’s much bigger. Culturally I think both cities have really taken a big hit in the past two decades, and LA more than any other city has been the beneficiary of that. And when tech relocates out of the Bay, it doesn’t just go to Seattle.

Plus, Seattle is already bursting at the seams. We have mountains and bays and lakes all around that really inhibit development. We are urbanizing at a rapid pace but trees don’t grow to the sky. I can’t imagine Seattle ever overtaking the Bay Area in my lifetime, barring some catastrophic event.

Seattle and SF share some characteristics and some problems for sure, but I think Seattle will continue to be the third city of the West Coast for quite some time. And I’m quite okay with that.
I agree with this Form an east coast and young (26 year old) perspective it seems that SF and Seattle both had larger more robust, and more far reaching cultures in the 1970s-1990s than they do now. I think their economic impact is bigger but they're so different from regular american and regular american cities they're culture just doesn't reach as far. Because they're so pricey the local culture has been dispersed. I look back at old movies and tv shows that are set in or have scenes in SF and SEA and it seems so outdated and foreign to me because its not at all how i perceive them now.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:10 PM

2,307 posts, read 1,720,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I agree with this Form an east coast and young (26 year old) perspective it seems that SF and Seattle both had larger more robust, and more far reaching cultures in the 1970s-1990s than they do now. I think their economic impact is bigger but they're so different from regular american and regular american cities they're culture just doesn't reach as far. Because they're so pricey the local culture has been dispersed. I look back at old movies and tv shows that are set in or have scenes in SF and SEA and it seems so outdated and foreign to me because its not at all how i perceive them now.
I would say 60s to 90s for the Bay Area and 80s and 90s for Seattle but I get what you're saying. Honestly I would say that during that time those cities had outsized cultural influence and impact given their respective sizes. They had scenes that were known and emulated across the country. Now that is not really the case anymore. They've become more generic tech cities, and although I do think the Seattle metro has done a better job of retaining its local culture than the Bay Area, both cities have swapped out their cultural impact for economic and technological impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City