Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 06:29 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Like issues that SF has make it impossible to live in-pfft gtfoh. Oh everywhere else is so much better? Uh no actually.

Homeless notwithstanding, San Franciscans are among the happiest around

These are the 10 happiest cities in America:

1. Plano, Texas

2. Irvine, California

3. Madison, Wisconsin

4. Fremont, California

5. Huntington Beach, California

6. Fargo, North Dakota

7. Grand Prairie, Texas

8. San Jose, California

9. Scottsdale, Arizona

10. San Francisco, California

"the happiest cities in America based across three key dimensions — emotional and physical well-being, income and employment and community and environment — looking at 31 key indicators, ranging from depression rate to income growth."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/12/wall...n-america.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 07:04 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,296,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
Which metro area would you prefer? Let's say jobs paid the same in both cities / areas. Where would you live and why?
If the jobs both pay the same I definitely prefer New York since the cost of living there is much lower. Manhattan is expensive but if one goes a little outside of Manhattan the cost goes down a lot. SF is crazy expensive and so are any decent suburban areas.

For example a small Avalon 568 sq ft 1 br apartment in San Bruno,CA goes for around $3100.

https://www.avaloncommunities.com/ca...no/floor-plans

Compare to some places in Northern NJ with an easy transit commute to Manhattan.

$1920 for a 1 br at Westmont station.

https://www.avaloncommunities.com/ne...on/floor-plans

Or $2100 for a one bedroom in an area like Teaneck with good schools.

https://www.avaloncommunities.com/ne...ck/floor-plans

Or $2,700 in Brooklyn a block away from a subway station.

https://www.avaloncommunities.com/ne...n-brooklyn-bay

The comparison is even worse when trying to buy a home. One can still get a nice home in the New York metro area for under $500k but even an $800k home in the Bay area is tiny and horrible.

Here is an example million dollar home in an area with so-so schools.

https://www.trulia.com/p/ca/south-sa...80--2082806750

I think the only reason to choose the SF area is if one is going for a very high paying tech or biotech job that is not available in other locations.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post

I think the only reason to choose the SF area is if one is going for a very high paying tech or biotech job that is not available in other locations.
Yawns the weather destroys NY, the natural setting-pfft dont even try to compare that, the recreational opportunities nearby destroys NY, the food here is at least on par with NY, the diversity, culture, amenities, cosmopolitanism: all world class.

Sorry that yall cant deal with those indisputable facts but that's life.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:04 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yawns the weather destroys NY, the natural setting-pfft dont even try to compare that, the recreational opportunities nearby destroys NY, the food here is at least on par with NY, the diversity, culture, amenities, cosmopolitanism: all world class.

Sorry that yall cant deal with those indisputable facts but that's life.
You're comments on SF aren't relevant any longer, at least to me. Sorry you're absolutely blind to problems that your city has. It's a good thing there are people who are actually trying to figure the problems out, rather than deny they exist.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
You're comments on SF aren't relevant any longer, at least to me. Sorry you're absolutely blind to problems that your city has. It's a good thing there are people who are actually trying to figure the problems out, rather than deny they exist.
Nope this^ is a weak, regurgitated cop out. Address what I said or accept defeat and move along.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:49 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
Nope this^ is a weak, regurgitated cop out. Address what I said or accept defeat and move along.
https://www.businessinsider.com/san-...f-poop-2018-10

People can find this on line...along with numerous other articles. This is one.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:39 PM

264 posts, read 250,060 times
Definitely NYC assuming I could afford both cities. I am used to snow (definitely not to the extent of NYC). If the jobs paid the same, I'd probably get more bang for the buck in NYC SOMEWHERE. Literally no affordable places anywhere in the city of SF itself and would have to enjoy a grueling commute from the East Bay or something. It's also NYC, a living experience that I think would completely change my outlook on life. In addition there some restaurants that I have been dreaming about coming to there. I might've picked SF 30 years ago though.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
https://www.businessinsider.com/san-...f-poop-2018-10

People can find this on line...along with numerous other articles. This is one.
Sure they can also find numerous articles like this:

https://www.cntraveller.com/gallery/...s-in-the-world

Conde Nast's annual travel survey of thousands of well-heeled visitors is the most respected in the world and only 2 US cities ranked in their top 20. NYC & SF.

SF is in the same league as Bangkok, Rome and Sydney as far as destinations go. SF is often spoken of in the same sentence as London and Rome as places to visit.

Lots of Americans Hate those facts because they want SF to be what Fox News tells them it is.

Does SF have issues, sure in some areas absolutely, but you are just dyyyying to define the city by those issues and nothing else because you think it will win some pointless online debate but that's laughable.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:51 AM

Ironic to this thread, United Airlines' service between SFO-EWR is the most profitable airline route in the United States, edging out American's LAX-JFK service.

my pic

This was formerly SFO-JFK service until United left JFK in 2015.
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....-ps-to-newark/

Old 08-22-2019, 07:31 PM

946 posts, read 563,802 times
Quote:
Nonsense. I stated my experience, said nothing judgemental at all, and I stand by my post. Get over it.

And I just looked up littletraveler and found this post by him:
I'm a single male, mid 20's, looking to start a tech consulting company. I've nailed it down to these 3 as I love Florida. I'd like to live somewhere with relatively cheap rent, the best nightlife, a good dating scene, a laid back culture that is easy to make friends and possibly a place to buy a condo. Politically I am conservative and don't speak Spanish. Where would I fit in?

Like I said, a white male in his mid 20s-mid 30s who is politically conservative.

We need to reach out to this group more. Somewhere along the way, too many in this group have come to believe that we are somehow their enemy, and that's sad.

Thank heavens.
Okay. What is the deal with people on CD stalking user's posts?

And what do you care about my politics? I've been to San Francisco, yeah. It's rife with homeless people, the nightlife is average at best and the cost of living is astronomical. On top of that, the weather is too cold to make up for any of the shortcomings. You're not the enemy for living there, you're just a sucker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City