Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most creative and intellectual city (or metro) in the South
Atlanta 31 19.25%
Raleigh (Triangle area) 29 18.01%
Nashville 18 11.18%
Richmond 11 6.83%
Birmingham 1 0.62%
Savannah 2 1.24%
Austin 27 16.77%
Miami 4 2.48%
New Orleans 4 2.48%
Charleston 4 2.48%
Charlotte 5 3.11%
Asheville 1 0.62%
Tampa (area) 1 0.62%
Dallas (metroplex) 14 8.70%
Little Rock 1 0.62%
Orlando 1 0.62%
Houston 7 4.35%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 07:53 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times

Advertisements

I don’t know that I’d put Richmond at the top (I would put it near the top though). Here’s why...

Richmond is the creative and political capital of one of the most educated (5th) and wealthy (7th) states in the country. Leisure time and disposable income are key to intellectual pursuits.

There is a large research university (32k students) and medical school in the center of he city. The art school is the number 1 public university art school in the country (4th when you throw in private). It’s huge and attracts visual artist, dancers, thespians and musicians from around the world. There’s a large seminary that attracts theologians.

There’s a very healthy museum culture (VMFA is the premier art museum in the South) along with historic sites and more places on the national register of historic places than any other city on this list. Virginia was one of the most significant states in the history of this continent and the state archives and libraries attract curious people and researchers (in the way that Austin, people love studying Texas, probably does). One of the largest and best attended folk festivals is set in Richmond. Historic preservation is big in Richmond (colonial, Federal, antebellum,Victorian) and that attracts a certain kind of person (like Savana and Charleston).

Large corporations located here recruit the best talent from around the world too (Altria, Capital One, the Federal Reserve, 4th district court of appeals...).

The landscape attracts crunchy outdoors types who champion environmental preservation and activism.

Larger cities of course have all of these things but what makes Richmond feel a bit different is that it is a small metro with these assets. Creative and intellectual types aren’t drastically outnumbered by worker bees.

Last edited by spencer114; 08-07-2019 at 08:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 09:39 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Let's not say Atlanta is underrated anymore. Texas cities are undervoted here

Old 08-07-2019, 11:22 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
At this point, Austin is in third place and the top contender in Texas when it comes to the subject at hand IMO. Why do you think Houston and Dallas are "undervoted"?

Old 08-08-2019, 02:54 AM

817 posts, read 596,866 times
Quote:
On City Data it would appear Atlanta is significantly overrated. I understand why people think Austin is so intellectual and creative. But I don't understand what Austin has that DFW or Houston does not, or how Atlanta has this in spades but the two big Texas metros do not.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:20 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
On City Data it would appear Atlanta is significantly overrated. I understand why people think Austin is so intellectual and creative. But I don't understand what Austin has that DFW or Houston does not, or how Atlanta has this in spades but the two big Texas metros do not.
Come to Atlanta and you’ll see.

https://youtu.be/zyFzpBAZICc

Old 08-08-2019, 07:20 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Huntsville, AL. More PhDs per capita than any other city in the US.
Has a high number of Phds because of the defense & aerospace industry that has attracted people from across the country. It's such a small sample size with an economy concentrated in one industry that skews the numbers to make Huntsville seem like it would be a sophisticated place. The native population of Huntsville however is just as country, and backwards as anyplace in the South. When Golden Corral first opened up in Huntsville people were camping outside in the cold that morning to be first in line. Hardly what I think as a sophisticated place.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:25 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Come to Atlanta and you’ll see.

https://youtu.be/zyFzpBAZICc

I'd say it's between Atlanta, Dallas, Austin and Raleigh...

The problem with Dallas, I just don't see it as an artsy creative place, intellectual yes but not creative and probably the highest amount of college educated working professionals of all these cities by far. Everything about Dallas is about being practical. I'd still put it in the top 4 though. My list would be something like this. I see Richmond is pretty high on this list for a lot of people, I don't know enough about Richmond to accurately judge it, it's the city on this list i've spent the least amount of time in. Nashville would probably be in my top 5 too.

1) Atlanta
2) Austin
3) Dallas
4) Raleigh

Old 08-08-2019, 10:29 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,834 times
Posters are sleeping on Houston:

Most intellectually rigorous and highly ranked university - Rice - of any university in any of the cities listed - unless you give Duke to Raleigh. Largest and most varied museum district of these cities plus NASA and one of the largest, if not the largest medical center in the U.S. By far the best fine arts scene - legacy and living. The MFAH, the Menil collection, the Rothko chapel are all institutions with global reach and import. The De Menils were arguably the most important arts patrons, not called Guggenheim of the twentieth century. Houston is an international fine arts destination in a way all the other cities on this list are not, with the exception of some events in Miami. Probably also the best performing arts city and definitely the best live theater city on this list - homegrown and repertory. The intellectual/creative scene in Houston is not massive, but that is true for most places. Pound for pound for elite intellectual and cultural institutions and the kind of activities they enable, Houston is superior to any city on this list. Also the most diverse, cosmopolitan, and best food city on this list, which helps.

I would rank 'em

1.Houston
2. Atlanta - though for black cultural and intellectual life Atlanta would be 1

And then three is up for grabs depending on how you weight criteria. I can see plausible cases for third for the Research Triangle, but not for Raleigh on its own, Dallas, though the truly world class art institutions are in Fort Worth, Miami - overall an anti-intellectual culture, but a major fine arts scene and a truly terrific ballet company, Austin, though the museums are mostly mediocre, New Orleans which has great legacy institutions and a unique artistic culture...

But Houston and Atlanta are in a different league to the rest, and Houston edges Atlanta.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:51 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Yeah, honestly of all of the cities in the poll I'd say Austin is easily #1. Then maybe Atlanta.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:50 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Posters are sleeping on Houston:

Most intellectually rigorous and highly ranked university - Rice - of any university in any of the cities listed - unless you give Duke to Raleigh. Largest and most varied museum district of these cities plus NASA and one of the largest, if not the largest medical center in the U.S. By far the best fine arts scene - legacy and living. The MFAH, the Menil collection, the Rothko chapel are all institutions with global reach and import. The De Menils were arguably the most important arts patrons, not called Guggenheim of the twentieth century. Houston is an international fine arts destination in a way all the other cities on this list are not, with the exception of some events in Miami. Probably also the best performing arts city and definitely the best live theater city on this list - homegrown and repertory. The intellectual/creative scene in Houston is not massive, but that is true for most places. Pound for pound for elite intellectual and cultural institutions and the kind of activities they enable, Houston is superior to any city on this list. Also the most diverse, cosmopolitan, and best food city on this list, which helps.

I would rank 'em

1.Houston
2. Atlanta - though for black cultural and intellectual life Atlanta would be 1

And then three is up for grabs depending on how you weight criteria. I can see plausible cases for third for the Research Triangle, but not for Raleigh on its own, Dallas, though the truly world class art institutions are in Fort Worth, Miami - overall an anti-intellectual culture, but a major fine arts scene and a truly terrific ballet company, Austin, though the museums are mostly mediocre, New Orleans which has great legacy institutions and a unique artistic culture...

But Houston and Atlanta are in a different league to the rest, and Houston edges Atlanta.
Not to say that Houston doesn't pack a cultural punch, but its also arguably the more blue collar cities of the bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City