Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 08:20 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Are there any systems in US and Canada with comparable modern trains to DC Metro's 7000 series?? If so I'd be intrigued to see them. I understand the R160's in NYC are similar, but not "more modern" as the 7000 series in DC are newer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3tFryhpr1g

The system is still very functional. There is phased maintenance on some sections/lines typically on one line at a time for 3/4 summer months. This is not out of the ordinary, and is preventative more so than lack of functionality. But any local will acknowledge the system being far from perfect or not having any problems.

Just 10 years ago the system had a major crash that took place, so it's more important to get all maintenance cleared up, than have an issue like that again.
Do the new Bart trains count?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-RVyeb6vNg&t=3s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 08:35 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Yes.

Those things look pretty modern!

Old 08-07-2019, 11:23 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
You're reading this wrong. 2.3M is for MetroAccess.

Total numbers are as figures:

1 New York City Subway USA New York City 2,758,485,000
2 Mexico City Metro Mexico Mexico City 1,561,613,597
3 Montreal Metro Canada Montreal 383,147,700
4 Toronto subway Canada Toronto 324,738,500
5 Washington Metro USA Washington, D.C. 271,160,000
6 Chicago 'L' USA Chicago 239,100,200
7 Monterrey Metro (Metrorrey) Mexico Monterrey 177,540,056
8 MBTA Subway (Blue, Orange, and Red Lines) USA Boston 174,820,200
9 SkyTrain Canada Vancouver 160,000,000
10 Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) USA San Francisco Bay Area 132,314,200

That number you got for Vancouver isn't just the SkyTrain -- it includes buses and boats/ferries as well.
I was asleep at the wheel, when I posted

Old 08-07-2019, 11:39 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Are there any systems in US and Canada with comparable modern trains to DC Metro's 7000 series?? If so I'd be intrigued to see them. I understand the R160's in NYC are similar, but not "more modern" as the 7000 series in DC are newer.

The system is still very functional. There is phased maintenance on some sections/lines typically on one line at a time for 3/4 summer months. This is not out of the ordinary, and is preventative more so than lack of functionality. But any local will acknowledge the system being far from perfect or not having any problems.

Just 10 years ago the system had a major crash that took place, so it's more important to get all maintenance cleared up, than have an issue like that again.
Yeah, I don't get why everyone keeps bashing the DC Metro. I guess it's different for residents, but as a visitor for four days, I got around almost solely with the DC Metro, and it served me very well. Fast, clean, convenient, with very frequent trains as long as you were on a corridor with two or more parallel lines.

And yes, I have been to Hong Kong seven times and relied mostly on their subway (the MTR) each time, but still, I'd say that aesthetics aside, DC rail transit comes close, and will be on par with the MTR once the Dulles extension and Purple Line open.

We really need to get over the self-deprecation that many Americans have for the DC urban rail system and NYC subway/LIRR/Metro North, both of which are on par with cities like Paris, Hong Kong, or Vienna (yes, I also relied exclusively on the NYC subway and Paris Metro/RER during my trips, and they are very comparable).

Old 08-07-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:

Speaking just for Vancouver, I guess it depends on what design people thinks looks modern. IMO Vancouver's later train cars look more modern than DC's.

DC car

Skytrain

Old 08-07-2019, 11:57 AM

Natasci, Vancouver does have more modern rolling stock/station design, in general, than DC. Vancouver has automated trains, DC does not.

BUT aesthetics aside, DC has an incredible metro system and transit-oriented developments. Stations like Crystal City, Rosslyn, Ballston, Tysons corner have massive apartment complexes around them in addition to high-rise offices. Definitely seems like DC transit oriented development is on par with Vancouver.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Natasci, Vancouver does have more modern rolling stock/station design, in general, than DC. Vancouver has automated trains, DC does not.

BUT aesthetics aside, DC has an incredible metro system and transit-oriented developments. Stations like Crystal City, Rosslyn, Ballston, Tysons corner have massive apartment complexes around them in addition to high-rise offices. Definitely seems like DC transit oriented development is on par with Vancouver.
I guess we would have to look up when each system bought new cars over the years. Skytrain has consistently bought new cars of different looks, over time. The latest delivery of 200 new cars is slated for 2023/24

The question wasn't about overall stock, but a specific question if any system had a more modern looking car.

I think Vancouver does in this case. As for automated, a quick Google suggests that DC was automated, but stopped, and plan to go automated in the latter part of this year, so I would assume they would know that before buying their new cars??

As for development around Skytrain stations, we have that as well in spades.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I guess we would have to look up when each system bought new cars over the years. Skytrain has consistently bought new cars of different looks, over time. The latest delivery of 200 new cars is slated for 2023/24

The question wasn't about overall stock, but a specific question if any system had a more modern looking car.

I think Vancouver does in this case. As for automated, a quick Google suggests that DC was automated, but stopped, and plan to go automated in the latter part of this year, so I would assume they would know that before buying their new cars??

As for development around Skytrain stations, we have that as well in spades.
Sure, Vancouver has sleeker rolling transit. But still, the average speed of the DC metro is around 31 mph, higher than Skytrain's 25 mph.

And let's step back from talking about sleek rolling transit and talk about the coverage and TOD of the DC Metro vs. Skytrain. I think DC has comparable TOD to Vancouver (look up Rosslyn, Ballston, and Crystal City). DC has slightly less frequent service than the Skytrain, but in corridors where there are 2 or more parallel lines, the DC Metro boasts frequencies of 2 minutes a train during rush hour--similar to the Skytrain.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Sure, Vancouver has sleeker rolling transit. But still, the average speed of the DC metro is around 31 mph, higher than Skytrain's 25 mph.

And let's step back from talking about sleek rolling transit and talk about the coverage and TOD of the DC Metro vs. Skytrain. I think DC has comparable TOD to Vancouver (look up Rosslyn, Ballston, and Crystal City). DC has slightly less frequent service than the Skytrain, but in corridors where there are 2 or more parallel lines, the DC Metro boasts frequencies of 2 minutes a train during rush hour--similar to the Skytrain.
Well, that was the question

Old 08-07-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well, that was the question
But not the topic of this thread. The topic of this thread is mostly about TOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City