Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 10:37 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Worcester doesn't really have an MSA to speak of. Especially for its size. Hartford has more offering and a more cohesive downtown and is a more cohesive albeit rundown city, with better transit and West Hartford tops anything in the Worcester area. Worcester is safe and has some decent offerings downtown but is the second ugliest core of a city in New England behind Waterbury.
I wasn’t really considering suburbs or else Bridgeport would’ve been higher on my personal list. And we’ve been back and forth on Worcester/Hartford before. I find downtown Hartford underwhelming and that’s why I ranked it so low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 11:20 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I wasn’t really considering suburbs or else Bridgeport would’ve been higher on my personal list. And we’ve been back and forth on Worcester/Hartford before. I find downtown Hartford underwhelming and that’s why I ranked it so low.
If were talking MSAs you gotta figure in suburbs, right? Thats the definition.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:34 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
I took them into account with mine. I specifically called out Newport re: the Providence MSA as well as Mystic and Stonington with New London. It's tough to look at Bridgeport/Stamford and ignore Greenwich, Fairfield, Darien, Westport, etc.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:47 AM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Wouldn't want to go smaller than the Providence MSA.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:37 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Yeah, you’re right. Maybe I’ll make another post later with some corrections. I def factored Groton/Stonington into my ranking for Norwich–New London, so it doesn’t make sense for me to not consider Middletown or West Hartford for Hartford. Sorry!

Old 08-06-2019, 03:55 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Yeah, you’re right. Maybe I’ll make another post later with some corrections. I def factored Groton/Stonington into my ranking for Norwich–New London, so it doesn’t make sense for me to not consider Middletown or West Hartford for Hartford. Sorry!
I love Middletown. I dunno it just gives me good vibes.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:10 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,549 times
Suburbs are definitely included in the ranking, which is why I asked for MSAs. In some cases, it's the suburbs that increase the rankings of the MSA.

For example, I like Burlington VT, but think that Springfield, MA is fairly mediocre. However, Northampton, is almost as nice as Burlington, VT, plus is has the Springfield job market right down the street, so it brings up the whole MSA in my book.

Last edited by bolehboleh; 08-06-2019 at 07:41 PM..

Old 08-11-2019, 05:08 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
26/m only ranking the cities i've been to and based on the core city only

Boston - Premier city. If I could afford it I would probably still live there
Providence - Strong, relatively affordable contender. Good food and nightlife, feels very urban
-
Portland - Very small city but it's charming, has good food and relaxed atmosphere, good place to retire and grow some pot
-
-
New Haven - Mixed bag overall but it has a lot of character. I could see myself being happy living there
-
Manchester - Lived here before. Again a mixed bag / kinda grimy downtown once you get off elm.
Worcester - Feels similar to manchester in a lot of ways but i don't know as many people here
-
-
Springfield - Not my favourite city and one i'm not extremely familiar with. there are some neat neighborhoods near forest park so i could make it work
-
-

Bangor - probably my top pick to visit or live short term but i would get way too bored and cold
Barnstable - another pick for short term visits but again this place is a coffin in january
-
-

Bridgeport - don't care for this place but at least i have some cousins over there

Hartford - just seems run down and dangerous

Pittsfield - seems run down and extremely boring

Old 08-11-2019, 01:04 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Why not use NECTAs (New England City Town Areas) instead? In reality, these metros blend together too much because they the states are soo small.
NECTA are more accurate. I think it adds New Bedford, Portsmouth, Leominster/Fitchburg as seperate metros which Shrinks Worcester to a more accurate 470,000 vs 980,000 MSA which looking nationally is just very overinflated. And NB being separated out drops Providence down a peg.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:26 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This would actually make for a great debate thread by itself - rank the ugliest urban cores in New England.
Would probably go to a smaller city like Fitchburg, Woonsocket or Fall River.

A larger city, that would likely be Worcester or one of the CT cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City