Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The city that earned its title as "Theming capital of America" is.....
Orlando 9 31.03%
Las Vegas 20 68.97%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 04:22 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think New Orleans probably would be a better matchup against Vegas here.
In a way yeah...but I think Vegas would will win given without its theme, it probably wouldnt even exist - New Orleans would still exist but basically another Baton Rouge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 05:07 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
In a way yeah...but I think Vegas would will win given without its theme, it probably wouldnt even exist - New Orleans would still exist but basically another Baton Rouge.
The topic is who does theming the best, not which would still exist without a theme. But New Orleans isn't part of the thread and I don't want to hijack it.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:25 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Vegas easily. Orlando isn't really that theme based outside of Disney which isn't close to downtown Orlando.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:48 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Las Vegas.

Orlando has a little more than just Disney... but Vegas is much more 'themed' than Orlando.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:01 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Las Vegas.

Orlando has a little more than just Disney... but Vegas is much more 'themed' than Orlando.
I think it would be hard to dismiss Universal.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:59 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I do see your point, but don't you think there is a good chance Orlando would have remained a sleepy, small southern city without it being "anointed" by Walt Disney?

My guess is that Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa (all coastal) would be larger by far. Orlando, I would think, might have been in the population range of places like Gainesville or Talahassee.
Disney helped, sure, but even without it, it would still be a major city in Florida. Lockheed Martin brought in loads of residents and was the true catalyst to the city's growth.
Smaller than Jacksonville? I doubt it. It would be smaller than it is, but still slightly larger than Jacksonville IMO. Its biggest growth spurts occurred between 1940 and 1960 -- before Disney World was a thing.

https://photos.orlandoweekly.com/52-...wntown-orlando

Last edited by Arcenal813; 08-07-2019 at 09:12 AM..

Old 08-08-2019, 10:04 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Obviously this is anyone's guess and over the course of 60 years, minor trends and changes could easily swing one way or another. So it's very hard to say. But...

It would be very impressive if Orlando outgrew Jax without the Disney (and subsequent overall tourist) bump. Orlando lacks most natural advantages. As for the growth numbers, note this:

In 1960 (after Orlando's "biggest growth spurts" as you say), city of Orlando was at 88k and Jacksonville was over 201k. This was pre-consolidation for Jax and its city limits were just 30 sq miles. It is not until the most recent census in 2010 that Orlando would surpass that city population, and that's with a land area of 105 sq miles.

Anyway, Jax's growth certainly slowed quite a bit through those last three decades of the 20th century so no one really knows what would have happened. However, if Jax had landed Disney World for itself, then obviously this wouldn't even be a discussion. Also as I have said before on this site, although there are widely shared stories about Walt Disney meeting with the Jax mayor, the head of the largest bank in FL at the time (based in Jax), etc, most of the stories are exaggerated myths. I am pretty sure Jax was never really close to getting it.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:13 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Obviously this is anyone's guess and over the course of 60 years, minor trends and changes could easily swing one way or another. So it's very hard to say. But...

It would be very impressive if Orlando outgrew Jax without the Disney (and subsequent overall tourist) bump. Orlando lacks most natural advantages. As for the growth numbers, note this:

In 1960 (after Orlando's "biggest growth spurts" as you say), city of Orlando was at 88k and Jacksonville was over 201k. This was pre-consolidation for Jax and its city limits were just 30 sq miles. It is not until the most recent census in 2010 that Orlando would surpass that city population, and that's with a land area of 105 sq miles.

Anyway, Jax's growth certainly slowed quite a bit through those last three decades of the 20th century so no one really knows what would have happened. However, if Jax had landed Disney World for itself, then obviously this wouldn't even be a discussion. Also as I have said before on this site, although there are widely shared stories about Walt Disney meeting with the Jax mayor, the head of the largest bank in FL at the time (based in Jax), etc, most of the stories are exaggerated myths. I am pretty sure Jax was never really close to getting it.
Jacksonville was effectively eliminated before any cities began being considered. Disney had stated he never looked anywhere near the coasts due to hurricanes. The only city in Florida that could satisfy a true interior setting was Orlando.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:46 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
The all time simplest city vs. city thread:

Orlando vs. Las Vegas on which is best at theming

THEMING: designed according to a particular theme (= subject), or designed to relate to a particular place or time:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...english/themed

So one may very well ask: who presents the better Paris, Epcot's France Pavillion or Paris Las Vegas Hotel?

Who does bells and whistles better, Orlando or Las Vegas

I don't know. Both are pretty gross to me.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:20 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I don't know. Both are pretty gross to me.
Yeah, with the exception of Disney Springs I avoid the attractions area of Orlando.

That being said, I love the core of the actual Metro 20 miles to the NE. From south of Downtown up through Winter Park, Maitland and Altamonte Springs is the attractive living, breathing heart of the area and it's very nice. The majority of the population has no connection to the Parks, and this is where you'll find them. It's actually quite beautiful in spots, and feels as if it may as well be a 1,000 miles away from the SW side. Winter Park in particular is one of the nicest suburbs in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City