Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 01:53 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
What is natural demographics?
I was referring to natural decline due to the death of the elderly, who currently comprise a disproportionate number of metro Pittsburghers relative to the national average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 02:09 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,755,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Philadelphia... big gap...Detroit...St. Louis / Pittsburgh...Cleveland.

The Philadelphia metro is by far the largest of that group and has the highest concentration of "things" that most would define as cosmopolitan and bourgeois culture.

I think all of these metros have a lot of understated wealth (Detroit for sure), but if we are looking at the big picture, there is no argument against Philadelphia as number 1, and that isn't changing.

Philadelphia and Detroit share the commonality where the majority of the wealth is actually in the burbs rather than the city, but what separates Philadelphia from Detroit is its size, more robust/diverse economy, Northeastern corridor location, a much more developed downtown/university district, and higher amounts of wealth and investment in the region.
Detroit is a majority black city. Philadelphia is not. That's one major thing that separates them.

Once upon a time(1950) Detroit had nearly 2 million people at the same time that Philadelphia had slightly more than 2 million people. So there was likely much more commonality between the two back then.

Today Detroit is considerably smaller at 660,000 and is continuing to lose population. Philadelphia, today, is 1.578 million and has seen gains, though small, for about decade.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:56 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Much of the overall population decline is attributable to low rates of immigration and natural population decline (the number of births being less than the amount of deaths).

If you look at net domestic migration alone, even though it's negative for the Pittsburgh area, it's not really any more negative than any older, established metropolitan area in the Northeast or Midwest.
Net domestic migration is outward from just about every one of the 50 largest US metropolitan areas, save for those in the Sunbelt (Atlanta, Phoenix, Houston, D/FW, San Diego - but NOT LA.)

Immigration from abroad has kept most of the non-Sunbelt ones buoyant.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:03 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
What are natural demographics and why is no other major city suffering from them so terribly?
Large portions of what are today 45-70 year olds left in the 70s and 80s To start families. Now their kids are of Childbearing age and not in Pittsburgh.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:45 AM

817 posts, read 598,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collisblackstar View Post
Why did you group Philadelphia with the other four? It makes no sense.

Why not Washington, DC instead? Boston?
Because I thini Philadelphia is much more like Detroit and Pittsburgh than it is like Washongton or Boston.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:41 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Because I thini Philadelphia is much more like Detroit and Pittsburgh than it is like Washongton or Boston.
You could argue this either way - and the Brookings Metropolitan Policy Program did just that when it produced a report on the state of the city, its economy and finances in the 1990s. The authors of that report coined a term they thought captured the split personality of the city:

"Bostroit."

Old 08-20-2019, 05:04 AM

817 posts, read 598,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You could argue this either way - and the Brookings Metropolitan Policy Program did just that when it produced a report on the state of the city, its economy and finances in the 1990s. The authors of that report coined a term they thought captured the split personality of the city:

"Bostroit."
That sounds about right. Culturally this is clearly the case, which is more or less what I'm asking about. Philadelphia may indeed be more bourgeois and socially aware than, say, Cleveland. But to compare it in this way to Boston or Washington seems absurd.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:53 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Quote:
That sounds about right. Culturally this is clearly the case, which is more or less what I'm asking about. Philadelphia may indeed be more bourgeois and socially aware than, say, Cleveland. But to compare it in this way to Boston or Washington seems absurd.
Philadelphia is MUCH closer to Boston than it is to any other city in the country.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:54 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
If we are comparing metro regions, wouldn't it be a wash either way?? Philadelphia as a city is certainly far less cosmo / bougie than DC and Boston, but when you expand to a metro level, I think its pretty even, at least between Boston and Philadelphia. DC might have more of the "bougie" stuff going on.

I think Pittsburgh is too small of a metro to really compare to Philadelphia though.

Quote:
Again, at a metro level, I find Boston and Philadelphia to be very similar. Both have a similar sized economy and similar economic stats, both are very old and historic metros with a lot of old money / understated wealth. I find the vibe between suburban Boston and suburban Philadelphia to be near identical in many aspects.

DC I could see an argument for the "bougie" vibe, but if we are comparing metros, Philadelphia's metro peers are Boston, DC, Atlanta, Dallas, etc.

Detroit is the next tier down, and Pittsburgh is arguably a tier below Detroit.

I am confused as to why people have a hard time placing the Philadelphia METRO AREA (I emphasize) with the other big dogs? It performs just as it should for a metro of 6+M people.

Last edited by cpomp; 08-20-2019 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: edit.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:30 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
It's kind of apples-to-oranges in all cases, though. It's certainly not outside of the realm of reasonable comparison to Cleveland, Boston or DC, particularly the latter two given its metro tier.

But Cleveland is still much smaller than Philly, and while certainly making great strides, still has further to go relative to revitalization and reinvestment as compared to Philly.

That being said, Philly's revitalization and reinvestment itself is still definitely a work-in-progress and it's also twice as large relative to Boston and DC proper. It has an ever-thriving urban core and periphery neighborhoods in and around Center City/University City, but where the city under-performs is its outer-neighborhoods (with the notable exception of Northwest and parts of Northeast Philly). It's the classic "donut" scenario of economic performance.

Boston, and especially DC, are two examples of what you might call "boutique" cities, in that they're demographically exclusive, involving a perfect storm of their relatively small land area, very high barriers to development/growth (they're both very "built out" cities) and out-sized influence of major knowledge institutions (academia and government, respectively).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City