Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2019, 07:39 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times

Advertisements

Bourgeois is the Opera House/Ballet fine art appreciated crowd not the Whole Foods/Brewery/Ax Throeing bar hipster right?

If it’s the former Cleveland has a pretty strong argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 07:49 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
That sounds about right. Culturally this is clearly the case, which is more or less what I'm asking about. Philadelphia may indeed be more bourgeois and socially aware than, say, Cleveland. But to compare it in this way to Boston or Washington seems absurd.
Washington is its own planet. (And it's the most self-important city in the country. Washington might actually be a pleasant place to live if it weren't for Official Washingtonians.)

But I don't think it absurd to compare Philly to Boston. Just as you might say it's Detroit with better cultural institutions and a better restaurant scene, you could say it's Boston with more poor people. (And I think Philly's culinary scene outclasses Boston's as well.)

Old 08-20-2019, 07:49 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Bourgeois is the Opera House/Ballet fine art appreciated crowd not the Whole Foods/Brewery/Ax Throeing bar hipster right?

If it’s the former Cleveland has a pretty strong argument.
Doubt it. The Cleveland Ballet has closed a couple of times and the city went more than a decade without a company at all. If the American Ballet Theatre is worrying aloud about how to boost attendance (promoting Misty Copeland to principal went a long way in solving that problem), then I can only imagine what companies in smaller cities are going through.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Doubt it. The Cleveland Ballet has closed a couple of times and the city went more than a decade without a company at all. If the American Ballet Theatre is worrying aloud about how to boost attendance (promoting Misty Copeland to principal went a long way in solving that problem), then I can only imagine what companies in smaller cities are going through.
I meant high cultural institutions in general which are supported by the old money crowd not 25 year old Tech Bros not specifically the Ballet.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:18 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Philly is Boston with more poor people, more Black people and more poor Black people.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:41 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I meant high cultural institutions in general which are supported by the old money crowd not 25 year old Tech Bros not specifically the Ballet.
I know what you meant. My point was that the old money crowd can't be too big if the city went nearly 15 years without a ballet company.

The crowd in nearly every city that consistently supports the arts is small. Most ballets make their money off the Nutcracker and to a far lesser extent Swan Lake. Of those in attendance on any given night, few audience members know Odile is supposed to perform 32 fouette turns. That's becoming increasingly true in NYC and I'm sure it's even more true in Cleveland.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:14 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,523,258 times
This is a reply to a thread I made in the general forum that got moved to the Detroit forum, asking if Detroit will ever build a subway line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
And unfortunately when thanks to the auto industry, there was the least chance of it happening. Why didn't they build a subway or elevated line in the early 1900s. By 1915 Detroit was already the 4th largest city in the country behind 3 cities that all had started on rapid transit. Even Boston, the city it knocked out of 4th place had heavy rail.

Do you think the auto industry plotted against rail in Detroit that early on or were there other factors at play?
Last I checked on the poll there were 6 for no and 3 for yes (I voted yes, lol)

Old 08-20-2019, 10:27 AM

527 posts, read 319,956 times
I don't see a lot of space between the cities listed.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:35 AM

413 posts, read 323,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
I guess that bourgeois and cosmopolitan can mean all kinds of things, but I'm talking about yuppie, politically and socially aware, well educated, white collar, etc.
You must be from Filthydelphia, otherwise, why would you have picked such weak competition?

Actually, any city where the local locals eat fresh horse manure off the streets cannot be expected to win a cosmopolitan contest, even against the likes of Detroit and St. Louis.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I know what you meant. My point was that the old money crowd can't be too big if the city went nearly 15 years without a ballet company.

The crowd in nearly every city that consistently supports the arts is small. Most ballets make their money off the Nutcracker and to a far lesser extent Swan Lake. Of those in attendance on any given night, few audience members know Odile is supposed to perform 32 fouette turns. That's becoming increasingly true in NYC and I'm sure it's even more true in Cleveland.
Remember though Cleveland is 1/8th the size of NYC so even 2x the support per capita is only 1/4th the support.

CSO, PlayhouseSq. The art museum outperform basically every peer city so I would say Cleveland is disproportionally bourgeois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City