Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 09:00 AM

159 posts, read 172,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
1. Philadelphia - Most cosmopolitan
2. St Louis
3. Detroit
4. Pittsburgh
5. Cleveland

Philly for obvious reasons... St Louis is the kind of city you may see on a postcard with the Arch, the Cardinals are iconic, and it's a very well known and historic city in general. The other three really could all be tied in being not all that cosmopolitan.
Odd that you are pretending like Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Cleveland aren't historic cities with well known sports teams but somehow St. Louis is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 09:22 AM

14,180 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

Then there's Philly Fringe. Did anyone mention it?
Fringe Arts has moved from mere festival to producing company. It even has its own theater on the Delaware riverfront. The festival does warrant special mention, as I think it's the largest American analogue to the famed Fringe Festival in Edinburgh, but I'd include it in that "varied theater community" I mentioned in my prior comment.

Point taken on Joan Myers Brown - the Ailey company is trading on its reputation while Philadanco! continues to push the envelope.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:20 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,676,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Another good stat - 5 star hotel offerings.

Philadelphia has 4, with a 5th on the way. I don't believe Detroit (or the others have any) have any. The Ritz in St. Louis is a 4 star (surprising).
How is it a good stat if you don't actually know the numbers? St. Louis for example has a Four Seasons downtown that is 5 stars (weirdly on the date I just put in (Tuesday in the beginning of Nov) a room there is $505 a night vs $629 a night at the "4.5" star Ritz.).

Old 08-21-2019, 04:14 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Big Five is a historic designation. It should be noted that the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra has eclipsed Philly's, in recent years:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/08/a...ln-center.html
I didn't see anything in that article, which was very nice, btw, that suggests what you are saying at all.

Yannick Nezet-Seguin is not only the music director of the Philadelphia Orch. but has the title of music director-designate with the NY Metropolitan Opera. Obviously there's a big reason he got the latter job: he's done a phenomenal job in Phila.

The Pittsburgh Symphony used to have a summer residence in suburban Phila, on Temple's old Ambler, PA campus during the Steinberg and Previn years.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:20 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Fringe Arts has moved from mere festival to producing company. It even has its own theater on the Delaware riverfront. The festival does warrant special mention, as I think it's the largest American analogue to the famed Fringe Festival in Edinburgh, but I'd include it in that "varied theater community" I mentioned in my prior comment.

Point taken on Joan Myers Brown - the Ailey company is trading on its reputation while Philadanco! continues to push the envelope.
Thanks, but I am very aware of what Fringe was and is.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:05 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
Actually, any city where the local locals eat fresh horse manure off the streets cannot be expected to win a cosmopolitan contest, even against the likes of Detroit and St. Louis.
Yeah, it's much more cosmopolitan to step in piles of human **** on the sidewalk instead.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:42 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I know what you meant. My point was that the old money crowd can't be too big if the city went nearly 15 years without a ballet company.

The crowd in nearly every city that consistently supports the arts is small. Most ballets make their money off the Nutcracker and to a far lesser extent Swan Lake. Of those in attendance on any given night, few audience members know Odile is supposed to perform 32 fouette turns. That's becoming increasingly true in NYC and I'm sure it's even more true in Cleveland.
Cleveland Ballet has been back since 2014, and its absence was felt. But are we really pretending that ballet is on the same level as orchestras?

I went to see the Golden Cockerel at the Met a few years ago, it was about half full.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:07 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Cleveland Ballet has been back since 2014, and its absence was felt. But are we really pretending that ballet is on the same level as orchestras?

I went to see the Golden Cockerel at the Met a few years ago, it was about half full.
If we're ranking classic performing arts, we have to value the symphony, ballet and opera.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:28 AM

817 posts, read 599,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Yeah, it's much more cosmopolitan to step in piles of human **** on the sidewalk instead.
Don't know what the nice people in Philadelphia are doing these days, but the alternative to not eating excrement is not, in fact, stepping in it instead. As a very general rule, cosmopolitanism requires one to avoid both eating and stepping in poo.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:39 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I don't think one is really above the other. That's like asking whether having an NFL team is more meaningful than having an NBA team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City