Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 10:48 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I guess you have a very tired and outdated view of Philadelphia then. It's no New York, but certainly has cosmopolitan elements to it.
It's always had a level of cosmopolitan elements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 11:22 AM

52 posts, read 36,394 times
Philadelphia

Old 08-30-2019, 11:46 AM

716 posts, read 765,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I guess you have a very tired and outdated view of Philadelphia then. It's no New York, but certainly has cosmopolitan elements to it.
Oh this thread is ripe with outdated views of all 5 cities listed here from people who probably have never even been to some (or any) of these places. I started to continue reading it backwards but had to stop. Waste of time; can't believe it's still going and sorry to add another post.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:01 PM

396 posts, read 653,700 times
I think the problem with this - As is the problem with most of these open ended, non data driven threads - Is the definition of cosmopolitan and bourgeois have no real data driven indicators or for that matter definitions that everyone can agree on.

I would say that which ever city has the most people that talk like Thurston Howell the Third and Lovey is probably the most cosmopolitan and bourgeois... oh and ascots, probably if you could identify ascot sales per capita you could nail it.

My money is on Philly

Old 08-31-2019, 08:28 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
Sorry but I have to chuckle at the thought of the words "cosmopolitan" and "Philadelphia" in the same sentence.
Still hurting over that NFC CHAMPIONSHIP Fail in 2017?

Old 08-31-2019, 09:28 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride2019 View Post
I don't really know about the other cities listed but I'd imagine Philly is probably the most cosmopolitan (although clearly last among the major East Coast cities)
Baltimore would be last and while it's not the size of NYC, DC, Boston, or Philly, it's certainly a major East Coast city by just about any standard.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:47 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
I bet Washington University and Case Western Reserve University also have better computer science programs than Carnegie Mellon University too.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:37 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
I bet Washington University and Case Western Reserve University also have better computer science programs than Carnegie Mellon University too.
I'm not so sure about that, definitely not in the case of "The Harvard of the Midwest" (that's WUSTL to you all).

CMU has a very strong robotics program, OTOH.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:37 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Washington University, Case Western Reserve University, and Carnegie Mellon University are all great schools! I'd say that it's difficult to rank one above the other "overall" since each school seems to do better than another in specific program areas.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:29 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
One quality where Pittsburgh is objectively better than Cleveland and St. Louis is the concentration of higher education. Carnegie Mellon University, Case Western Reserve University and Washington University are all Very High Research Activity private universities, but only Pittsburgh has a Very High Research Activity public university, and it happens to be located right next to Carnegie Mellon University. In fact, it's difficult for people to tell at first glance where one university ends and the other begins. All in all, this is how each metropolitan area compares in terms of research university classification:

Pittsburgh

2 Very High (University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon University)
1 High (Duquesne University)
1 Low (Robert Morris University)

Cleveland

1 Very High (Case Western Reserve University)
1 High (Cleveland State University)

St. Louis

1 Very High (Washington University)
2 High (University of Missouri-St. Louis, St. Louis University)
2 Low (Lindenwood University, Maryville University of St. Louis)

St. Louis is somewhat underrated in terms of higher education, but Pittsburgh is still on a higher level. As for Cleveland, it'd have two more High Research Activity universities if Akron was part of the MSA, but still only one Very High Research Activity university.

As for liberal arts colleges, here's how each MSA compares:

Pittsburgh

Point Park University
Chatham University
Carlow University
St. Vincent College
Washington & Jefferson College

Cleveland

John Carroll University
Baldwin Wallace University
Oberlin College
Lake Erie College

St. Louis

Fontbonne University

Cleveland has a pretty strong liberal arts presence, but still no stronger than Pittsburgh. St. Louis has surprisingly few liberal arts colleges.

All in all, Pittsburgh punches well above its weight in terms of higher education. In fact, Pittsburgh probably outdoes Detroit in this comparison too, especially with the University of Michigan not being part of the Detroit metropolitan area, and Wayne State University having lower rankings than both the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City