Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 12:42 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times

Advertisements

Out of the 100 or so US urban parks larger than Belle Isle, I'd guess maybe 50 are urban-type parks based on paging through the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 12:51 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Belle Isle is 982 acres and is the largest city-owned park in the US.

Time and again, the only thing these threads prove to me is how little people know about a major city like Detroit.
Forest Park is larger, as you noted later in the thread, but it does function as a fully urban park. It's home to such amenities as the St. Louis Art Museum, Science Center and Planetarium, St. Louis Zoo, Missouri History Museum, the Muny (large outdoor musical amphitheatre), Jewel Box (greenhouse), lake and boat house, golf course, etc. It's actually an amazing hidden gem that most outsiders don't know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
It's both.

The Fox Theatre is the 2nd largest in the country (only behind Radio City).
I don't know much about the theatre district claim, but interestingly enough St. Louis also has a Fox Theatre that was completed a year later in 1929. Same design, but slightly smaller at 4500 seats.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:52 PM

817 posts, read 599,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Detroit seems to stack up pretty well given that there’s 1.7million more people in the Philadelphia metro. Instead of raw numbers it would probably work best with percentages.
I agree. Those are surprisingly good numbers for Detroit. But I keep asking, where do those liberal educated people in Detroit actually live? Royal Oak and Ferndale are not big suburbs, and surely bougie Detroit must be much more than just that.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:02 PM

256 posts, read 160,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Detroit stacks up well when it comes to schools with strong engineering programs, which isn't surprising since the auto-industry still draws some of the best minds in engineering. But Philly has more Northwestern grads than Detroit, which is surprising given Detroit's much closer proximity to Chicago. Detroit can't beat Philly that way in its own backyard.

And note that size isn't necessarily that determinative of a factor. As you can see, SF whips Philly across the board regardless of school location.
Northwestern is not in Detroit's backyard. They're nearly 5 hours apart. Plus without any evidence, I'm guessing the makeup of Northwestern's enrollment consists of many from the east coast as well. When scaled for metro size, Detroit has more Northwestern grads.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:07 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Detroit stacks up well when it comes to schools with strong engineering programs, which isn't surprising since the auto-industry still draws some of the best minds in engineering. But Philly has more Northwestern grads than Detroit, which is surprising given Detroit's much closer proximity to Chicago. Detroit can't beat Philly that way in its own backyard.

And note that size isn't necessarily that determinative of a factor. As you can see, SF whips Philly across the board regardless of school location.
I think it bears mentioning that the average engineer working for the big three with an elite educational background is rather unlikely to be the sort of "latte liberal" yuppie that the OP is talking about. Many of them are likely boring older white guys who are Republicans (though they might not have been keen on Trump) living in the Gross Pointe area or somewhere in sprawlburbia.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:20 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
I agree. Those are surprisingly good numbers for Detroit. But I keep asking, where do those liberal educated people in Detroit actually live? Royal Oak and Ferndale are not big suburbs, and surely bougie Detroit must be much more than just that.
Royal Oak and Ferndale are more trendy than bougie. Bougie Detroit would be more in the Oakland County wealth belt, and eastern Wayne County. Places like Birmingham, Troy, the Bloomfields, Farmington Hills, Rochester Hills, Novi, The Grosse Pointes, and Northwestern Wayne County cities like Plymouth and Northville.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:26 PM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Another proxy for the bourgeoisie: the number of Whole Foods.

NYC - 37
Boston - 28
Chicago - 28
SF Bay Area - 26
DC -20
Miami - 13
Philly - 12
Atlanta - 11
Manhattan - 10
Detroit - 6
Cleveland - 3
Pittsburgh - 3
St. Louis - 3

Old 08-12-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
Northwestern is not in Detroit's backyard. They're nearly 5 hours apart. Plus without any evidence, I'm guessing the makeup of Northwestern's enrollment consists of many from the east coast as well. When scaled for metro size, Detroit has more Northwestern grads.
When I say "backyard," I mean the same region. Detroit is simply not beating out Philly for grads of schools within its region (Cornell, Brown, UVA if we want to say "Mid-Atlantic"). But Philly can draw more grads from the Midwest than Detroit can from the Northeast and this isn't purely a product of population difference.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:39 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times
Quote:
Another proxy for the bourgeoisie: the number of Whole Foods.

NYC - 37
Boston - 28
Chicago - 28
SF Bay Area - 26
DC -20
Miami - 13
Philly - 12
Atlanta - 11
Manhattan - 10
Detroit - 6
Cleveland - 3
Pittsburgh - 3
St. Louis - 3
Lol. What about us petite bourgeois? We love Wegmans.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:03 PM

Yoga studios by city/place according to Yelp.

Brooklyn - 776
Los Angeles - 720
Manhattan - 595
San Francisco - 393
Oakland - 355
Chicago - 323
Miami - 311
Philadelphia - 266
Seattle - 259
Washington, DC - 217
Atlanta - 214
Alexandria (VA) - 192
Portland - 187
Dallas - 180
Austin - 168
Houston - 153
Arlington (VA) - 146
Berkeley (CA) - 137
Detroit - 133
Cleveland - 93
Pittsburgh - 89
St. Louis - 68
Baltimore - 66
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City