Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The best baseball city in America today
Denver 0 0%
Cleveland 3 2.97%
Detroit 0 0%
St. Louis 26 25.74%
Pittsburgh 0 0%
New York 10 9.90%
Atlanta 3 2.97%
Los Angeles 4 3.96%
St. Louis 10 9.90%
Washington 0 0%
Boston 27 26.73%
San Francisco 0 0%
Chicago 12 11.88%
Philadelphia 4 3.96%
Cincinnati 1 0.99%
Phoenix 1 0.99%
Baltimore 0 0%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 08:23 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamenVChicago View Post
Probably St Louis considering how small the market is, and how Baseball and to a lesser extent Hockey are the only pro sports teams they really support now.
They actually supported their NFL franchises quite well also, until they were moved.....twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 08:51 AM

1,228 posts, read 797,653 times
I gave my six year old his first “real” baseball glove this morning. A 10” Easton. We tossed the practice ball around for an hour this morning in the back yard before it got too hot and humid. He is still wearing the glove all around the house. I’m pretty sure he’ll wear it to bed. So, for today, I would definitely say it was Raleigh, NC.

Next weekend we work on his knuckleball.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:20 AM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
San Francisco is just beyond the tail end of a long stretch of success which is usually when popularity peaks. Attendance is already down significantly even though they're actually still within a not unrealistic shot at the wild card. I suspect once they hit the depths of a true rebuild without any of the name players left (like say the Tigers this year), attendance will tank quite brutally.

My answer to this would be St.Louis by the way because I believe it is the only city on this list where the baseball team has a real, long-term claim to being the most popular team in town. I think Boston might be close though.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:40 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
A very appropriate and very relevant article for this thread:

Baseball's future: Declining attendance – and shrinking stadiums to match
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...re/1941614001/

Old 08-18-2019, 10:41 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Cities like Chicago, St. Louis, and Boston are certainly America's most iconic baseball cities. But are they still the best baseball cities today? I'm talking about cities where the very identity of the place and people is wrapped up in the team(s), where the city is high and low when the baseball is high and low, and where people simply integrate baseball into wardrobes, conversations, and plans. Does this exist today? Where?

I obviously did not include every MLB city in the poll, but if you want to make the case for Tampa as America's baseball capital, please do so.
Saint Louis and Boston.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:59 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,324,811 times
This could go to either Boston or St. Louis

Old 08-18-2019, 03:08 PM

103 posts, read 136,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
I gave my six year old his first “real” baseball glove this morning. A 10” Easton. We tossed the practice ball around for an hour this morning in the back yard before it got too hot and humid. He is still wearing the glove all around the house. I’m pretty sure he’ll wear it to bed. So, for today, I would definitely say it was Raleigh, NC.

Next weekend we work on his knuckleball.

My kids are 32 and 31, I miss those days. Enjoy every moment throwing the ball around with your kid!

Old 08-18-2019, 03:17 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
They actually supported their NFL franchises quite well also, until they were moved.....twice.
The Rams should've never moved to St Louis in the first place... I don't understand that at all. Then again, I also don't think LA should have 2 (two) NFL teams.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:12 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
The Rams should've never moved to St Louis in the first place... I don't understand that at all. Then again, I also don't think LA should have 2 (two) NFL teams.
LA wasn't supporting the Rams in the end to the owner's desire, wouldn't build them a new stadium, etc. Sound familiar?

Georgia Frontiere, the majority owner at the time, was from St. Louis and her hometown was willing give her the incentives that she wanted that Los Angeles wasn't. Upon her death though, Stan Kroenke became the majority owner and for whatever reason felt spurned by St. Louis' elites even though the city was willing to bend over backwards to keep the team. He wasn't willing to spend a dime on improving the team after they languished for years, and the only reason he did in LA was due to how abysmal their first season back in LA was.

He saw dollar signs, and he never wanted to be in St. Louis. His claims that St. Louis couldn't support another major league team besides the Cardinals was quickly disproven following the Blues win last season.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:35 AM

795 posts, read 482,992 times
I had to edit this. I had an article linked but after reading it felt it would cause arguments and wasn't completely unbias.

I didn't agree with the praising of some cities and criticisms of others in each cities little bio, just wanted to put that out there.

The winner however was St. Louis, MO. ☺
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City