Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The best baseball city in America today
Denver 0 0%
Cleveland 3 2.97%
Detroit 0 0%
St. Louis 26 25.74%
Pittsburgh 0 0%
New York 10 9.90%
Atlanta 3 2.97%
Los Angeles 4 3.96%
St. Louis 10 9.90%
Washington 0 0%
Boston 27 26.73%
San Francisco 0 0%
Chicago 12 11.88%
Philadelphia 4 3.96%
Cincinnati 1 0.99%
Phoenix 1 0.99%
Baltimore 0 0%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 11:39 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Surprising passion: I'd go with San Francisco. Outside of the original zone of baseball in New England, the Mid Atlantic and the Midwest, I don't think any city gets as passionate about their team as SF does about the Giants.

Sure, 3 world championships in the same decade played a part. And Oracle Park, one of the best, an almost downtown location and a park that manages the type of feel of the old classics helps. SF is more akin to the cities in the northeast and Great Lakes than any other city. The intertwining S and F ties the Giants and San Francisco together as one in the way no other MLB logo could do.
That's definitely a more recent thing. The team almost moved to Tampa at one point.

As far as the logo, it's literally no different than the Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, Cardinals, and Padres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 11:44 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Looks like the OP decided to leave Milwaukee off the list. With the 8th highest attendance rate so far this year, I wonder if Milwaukee would actually be in the lead, per capita, as it's the smallest city. Too bad you didn't include Milwaukee, OP. Not, at all, a fair question you posed, if you don't include all the cities...especially one that actually outdraws most other cities.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:51 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Looks like the OP decided to leave Milwaukee off the list. With the 8th highest attendance rate so far this year, I wonder if Milwaukee would actually be in the lead, per capita, as it's the smallest city. Too bad you didn't include Milwaukee, OP. Not, at all, a fair question you posed, if you don't include all the cities...especially one that actually outdraws most other cities.
To be fair, Milwaukee gets a LOT of help when it comes to attendance from Cubs fans travelling a mere hour north and taking over Miller Park. I have a conspiracy theory that this is why they switched from the American League to the National League in the late 90's.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:52 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
To be fair, Milwaukee gets a LOT of help when it comes to attendance from Cubs fans travelling a mere hour north and taking over Miller Park. I have a conspiracy theory that this is why they switched from the American League to the National League in the late 90's.
They don't play the Cubs at home all the time, though. I think they've played 6 games in Milwaukee, thus far this season. Sure it helps, but Milwaukee certainly isn't the only team that draws fans from another market, when two teams are competing.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:26 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Just an FYI. St. Louis really has 21 votes.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:47 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
They don't play the Cubs at home all the time, though. I think they've played 6 games in Milwaukee, thus far this season. Sure it helps, but Milwaukee certainly isn't the only team that draws fans from another market, when two teams are competing.
Obviously not all the time, but they're the closest division rival to the Cubs, so naturally they play eachother frequently in the regular season. I would definitely say Milwaukee is in the top 10, but wouldn't go as far as to say they're should be "in the lead".

Just a few weeks ago, I was visiting a friend in the north suburbs during a Cubs/Brewers game in Milwaukee. When I was leaving to go home, I-94 was PACKED with traffic, and every person I saw in each car on the freeway was wearing Cubs gear, heading back to Chicago. One could mistake MP for being the home field for the Cubs with how many Cub fans go to those games.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:23 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
Quote:
Historically, Milwaukee was a National League city, from the 1950s, with back-to-back pennants in 1957-58, and with Hall-of Famers like Hank Aaron, Eddie Mathews and Warren Spahn..

Old 08-22-2019, 07:49 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,143,716 times
Quote:
Not really. The Brewers draw very well even when they're not playing the Cubs. It's the Rays who need to be playing the Yankees or Red Sox to get anyone to show up.

St. Louis has to win this even though I'm a Red Sox fan. They're a fairly small market yet they get 40,000+ seemingly every night. It turns a would-be small market team into a mid to large sized market team in the baseball universe.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:39 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times
St. Louis wins this hands down. Those fans always support the Cardinals win or lose.

San Francisco couldn’t get 10,000 fans to cold and windy Candlestick, but they generally draw well at Oracle Park. Winning 3 World Series in 6 years helps, but their attendance has fallen dramatically this year.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:45 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,825,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's definitely a more recent thing. The team almost moved to Tampa at one point.

As far as the logo, it's literally no different than the Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, Cardinals, and Padres.
San Francisco was a bad baseball town due to how awful Candlestick Park was. Cold and sterile, no real neighborhood around it. If the Giants had stayed in Seals Stadium and had built an upper deck and called it Mays Stadium, today we might be talking about Wrigley, Fenway, and Mays

The black and orange intertwined S and F is classic and is one of the most popular. Icertainly a number of the ones you listed are of that same variety...Yanks, Cards, Dodgers in particular. Tigers belong there too. Mets NY is nice although it once belonged to the Giants. The real classic for the Mets is their team logo with skyline, bridges, etc

Hat is nothing special is the Padres
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City