Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 07:52 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Sure it does, the entire 128 technology corridor and Metro West are both major major suburban employment hubs.
“Major major” might be a bit of an exaggeration. Traffic in Boston is still largely into/out of downtown, and there’s no commuter rail train that runs along 128.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 12:42 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
“Major major” might be a bit of an exaggeration. Traffic in Boston is still largely into/out of downtown, and there’s no commuter rail train that runs along 128.
Yeah, Chicago also has a lot of employment in the Cook County panhandle and DuPage but these areas aren't secondary transit hubs.

Old 08-25-2019, 01:12 PM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Arent there around 10 Fortune 1000 companies based in the 128 area? Id say its pretty major. Obviously not downtown Boston.. but pretty damn major. Cities like Orlando, Newark, Memphis and Milwaukee would kill for that

Old 08-25-2019, 04:27 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
San Francisco seems very in-and-out to me. All BART lines from the suburbs converge in downtown. IIRC there is only one spur of BART that runs along the East Bay, but from what I know this is the least traveled line. The systems seems to have been designed (or at least built) mainly to get people downtown and back to the burbs.

The commuter line, Caltrain is a single line along the peninsula that terminates just outside downtown now and will eventually end at the central bus station,which actually is in downtown SF. In-and -out. (Caveat: It does run through Silicon Valley, so perhaps there is a higher degree of reverse/partial commuters using it beside for just those coming to SF. Never ridden this line so I cannot say for sure.)

The biggest interstate is I -280, which starts south of the city and terminates just outside of downtown SF -- basically in and out. Highway 101 is the only big highway all the way through the city--and it basically only connects the Penninisula with the Golden Gate or Bay Bridge, though a portion of it does run on city streets.

As for NYC, I don't quite get the reason of excluding it from major in-and-out, especially if Midtown is considered the true core. (Which I think accurate.) All commuter trains terminate there -- Grand Central and Penn Station. All but a few subway lines (the G, J, L, Z) go through Midtown in a classic hub-and-spoke system. And those that don't, connect to a line that does. Two major car tunnels empty into Midtown--the Lincoln and Queens Midtown -- as does one major bridge, the 59th St bridge. All of those are jam-packed during commute hours for sure. And getting around the periphery of NYC via mass transit is quite difficult because all lines go to Manhattan. Only option, as in Chitown, are buses or taxis. In short, almost everything goes to Midtown. The ultimate in-and-out.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:45 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
San Francisco seems very in-and-out to me. All BART lines from the suburbs converge in downtown. IIRC there is only one spur of BART that runs along the East Bay, but from what I know this is the least traveled line. The systems seems to have been designed (or at least built) mainly to get people downtown and back to the burbs.

The commuter line, Caltrain is a single line along the peninsula that terminates just outside downtown now and will eventually end at the central bus station,which actually is in downtown SF. In-and -out. (Caveat: It does run through Silicon Valley, so perhaps there is a higher degree of reverse/partial commuters using it beside for just those coming to SF. Never ridden this line so I cannot say for sure.)

The biggest interstate is I -280, which starts south of the city and terminates just outside of downtown SF -- basically in and out. Highway 101 is the only big highway all the way through the city--and it basically only connects the Penninisula with the Golden Gate or Bay Bridge, though a portion of it does run on city streets.

As for NYC, I don't quite get the reason of excluding it from major in-and-out, especially if Midtown is considered the true core. (Which I think accurate.) All commuter trains terminate there -- Grand Central and Penn Station. All but a few subway lines (the G, J, L, Z) go through Midtown in a classic hub-and-spoke system. And those that don't, connect to a line that does. Two major car tunnels empty into Midtown--the Lincoln and Queens Midtown -- as does one major bridge, the 59th St bridge. All of those are jam-packed during commute hours for sure. And getting around the periphery of NYC via mass transit is quite difficult because all lines go to Manhattan. Only option, as in Chitown, are buses or taxis. In short, almost everything goes to Midtown. The ultimate in-and-out.
Almost nothing San Francisco is known for in in San Francisco. Not Stanford, not Facebook, not Berkley, not Google, not the 49ers.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Almost nothing San Francisco is known for in in San Francisco. Not Stanford, not Facebook, not Berkley, not Google, not the 49ers.
The well-known spots are different than the business core.

Long before the rise of the Silicon Valley tech giants, SF was a huge regional banking and business services center and remains so to this day with the likes of Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Visa, Charles Schwab, Morrison & Foerster (BigLaw), and a slew of other investment advisory and legal firms, as well as a handful of corporate headquarters. And the core--the city itself-- is only getting busier as the tech companies move in or grow. (Salesforce is probably the biggest and richest of these, but probably not as well known to the average guy on the street because it is B-to-B, unlike UBer, Lyft, Dolby, Airbnb, which are consumer names ). In addition there is UC San Francisco, one of the best medical schools in the world--easily a peer to Stanford, John Hopkins, Harvard, Mayo. It just built an impressive new campus, just off from downtown.

And of course the Golden State Warriors and San Francisco Giants are pretty much household names.

In the sense that OP described the "core" of the city and its in-and-out dynamic, built in differing concentric tiers, I think SF qualifies as much as Chicago. (But I would not include Silicon Valley here. That low-rise, sprawling, suburban conglomeration is just a horse of a different color. )

Last edited by citylove101; 08-25-2019 at 06:11 PM..

Old 08-25-2019, 06:18 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The well-known spots are different than the business core.

Long before the rise of the Silicon Valley tech giants, SF was a huge regional banking and business services center and remains so to this day with the likes of Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Visa, Charles Schwab, Morrison & Foerster (BigLaw), and a slew of other investment advisory and legal firms, as well as a handful of corporate headquarters. And the core--the city itself-- is only getting busier as the tech companies move in or grow. (Salesforce is probably the biggest and richest of these, but probably not as well known to the average guy on the street because it is B-to-B, unlike UBer, Lyft, Dolby, Airbnb, which are consumer names ). In addition there is UC San Francisco, one of the best medical schools in the world--easily a peer to Stanford, John Hopkins, Harvard, Mayo. It just built an impressive new campus, just off from downtown.

And of course the Golden State Warriors and San Francisco Giants are pretty much household names.

In the sense that OP described the "core" of the city and its in-and-out dynamic, built in differing concentric tiers, I think SF qualifies as much as Chicago. (But I would not include Silicon Valley here. That low-rise, sprawling, suburban conglomeration is just a horse of a different color. )
You can’t omit the largest companies and industry from a metro. SF probably has the weakest directionality of basically any metro in terms of commuting.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You can’t omit the largest companies and industry from a metro. SF probably has the weakest directionality of basically any metro in terms of commuting.
If you believe that you've probably never tried commuting there. I have, many times, especially when I've had to stay in the Eat Bay. Trust me, the one-way rush to and from a very compact downtown SF during commute hours is huge. And I am talking San Francisco, not the entire Bay Area. I am talking the core of the city/county of San Francisco, which is what OP asked about. That just does not include Silicon Valley, which is much more spread out and does not IMO have a 'core' like Chicago, NYC, Boston, or SF. (Downtown San Jose BTW just doesn't cut it.) As to the big companies there in the city itself, I think I covered that.

The following list of major metro commute times shows that the commute in SF is worse than in Chicago, so even without looking at this before I posted, I think that my mentioning SF as at least as directional with regard to the core as Chicago stands, though commutes by car or mass transit can definitely change the time one spends getting to downtown. (And my hometown is listed for worse commute at No. 1. As I said, I don't quite understand why OP omitted it. )

https://www.moneycrashers.com/worst-...-commute-time/

And yes Boston commuting time is very high at third worst, though I'd wager a lot of that is not in-and-out at all toward downtown, but rather folks getting to their workplace along 128 or elsewhere. There are a lot of people who live AND work outside of Boston proper. Surely you know that!

Last edited by citylove101; 08-25-2019 at 08:40 PM..

Old 08-25-2019, 09:29 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Cities like Orlando, Newark, Memphis and Milwaukee would kill for that
Not quite apples to apples.

Anyway, it’s also worth mentioning that if Boston had annexed neighboring towns and cities like Chicago, then Waltham (where many of those companies are) might be part of the city proper. 128 might not be downtown, but it’s still pretty central compared to cities in other parts of the country.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:37 PM

346 posts, read 456,044 times
Houston, but freeways only
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City