Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 10:53 PM

6,704 posts, read 9,958,205 times

Advertisements

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=d6xXF0QY16E

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mjUWMr8HtYY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 06:15 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 11 hours ago)

8,360 posts, read 5,521,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbaneducator415 View Post
I don't know either city well, but when I check out Google Maps, it does seem as Dallas has denser, more walkable neighborhoods. Uptown Dallas and Deep Ellum look especially unique.

Are there equivalents in Houston?
The equivalent neighborhood in Houston is Midtown but I do find Uptown Dallas more walkable.

To me Dallas is more like Atlanta where most of the city isn’t walkable at all but you have half a dozen neighborhoods that are extremely walkable. In Houston, most of the city is semi-walkable but nothing stands out in its walkability.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:29 AM

52 posts, read 36,485 times
San Antonio. Phoenix is way to hot to walk around.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:44 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,818,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio has a long list of walkable neighborhoods outside the CBD that are full of amenities. Over 10k residential units have been built in the urban core over the past few years with thousands more either under construction or in the pipeline. Southtown-King William, Pearl District, Lavaca, River North, Museum Reach, Midtown Brackenridge, Tobin Hill, St. Mary's Strip, St. Paul Square, Lower Broadway, Government Hill, Alamo Heights, and up and coming districts of Lone Star and Cattleman Square. Hemisfair Park is also being transformed into a walkable urban neighborhood for both residents and visitors.
I wore out shoes walking around many of these areas, but I still wouldn't say most of those are very walkable as discussed in that thread. King William for example isn't all that pedestrian geared. Compare it to say The Garden District in New Orleans. Or Museum District in Houston. All three look like they are old school street car suburbs. Did they ever build the rail on Broadway? That area and Alamo heights are kinda scary for pedestrians actually. All are charming neighborhoods but Downtown, RiverNorth and Pearl are the ones I found that were most walkable. Breckenridge area is over of my favorite spots in SA and I have walked that area a lot, but I wouldn't list it as walkable either.

Anyway, what had been going on around the St Mary's area. That's an area I haven't been to in a while and I'm interested in what has happened since

Old 08-29-2019, 03:56 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,414,089 times
Default I Agree

This is pretty accurate. whereas Dallas and Atlanta have zoning and a few really cool places to walk in Houston is more generally walkable. Houston has the advantage when it comes to parks and how they compliment popular areas of the city. Hermann park is amazing and so is Buffalo Bayou Park and Memorial Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The equivalent neighborhood in Houston is Midtown but I do find Uptown Dallas more walkable.

To me Dallas is more like Atlanta where most of the city isn’t walkable at all but you have half a dozen neighborhoods that are extremely walkable. In Houston, most of the city is semi-walkable but nothing stands out in its walkability.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:24 PM

355 posts, read 469,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
This is pretty accurate. whereas Dallas and Atlanta have zoning and a few really cool places to walk in Houston is more generally walkable. Houston has the advantage when it comes to parks and how they compliment popular areas of the city. Hermann park is amazing and so is Buffalo Bayou Park and Memorial Park.
I don't understand that logic at all. Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta look fairly similar outside of their respected cores. All three are auto-oriented, no matter how 'developed' it looks. I do completely agree with central city parks comparing Houston to Dallas. We need to work on that for sure.

I'm gonna go with San Antonio on this one since it has the most intact core and the potential to grow from it.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:49 PM

20,518 posts, read 33,569,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
I don't understand that logic at all. Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta look fairly similar outside of their respected cores. All three are auto-oriented, no matter how 'developed' it looks. I do completely agree with central city parks comparing Houston to Dallas. We need to work on that for sure.

I'm gonna go with San Antonio on this one since it has the most intact core and the potential to grow from it.
In the downtown area yeah though I don't see it as a runaway these days like it use to be. But outside downtown, I think Houston and Dallas easily beats SA here and has a greater potential to do so when it comes to walkable neighborhoods.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:18 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post

San Antonio retains more pre-WWII neighborhood nodes and commercial districts than the other cities.

Some have mentioned Dallas as being similar to Atlanta...but being very familiar with both, in reality Atlanta has about a couple dozen walkable older neighborhoods (streetcar suburbs), while Dallas only has about a handful. Once you get outside the city, Atlanta's walkability drops off more than Dallas, which due to topography retains more of a grid.

I grew up in Houston before moving around a lot...and Houston only has two walkable areas outside/adjacent to downtown.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:05 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,414,089 times
Default None of them

None of these cities are designed for walking. Let's be realistic. All of these places were never designed to be walkable. They never developed a d grew as walkable places. They are all way too large geographically.
They cant be rebuilt to be like Boston. New York, San Francisco, Seattle etc where many points of interest are within a couple miles of each other. How can you fix that problem?
Just because you build a dense neighborhood in the middle of a sprawling area that won't thereby make the city walkable. No, it will only make that particular neighborhood walkable.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:51 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,459,617 times
Dallas...and it will only become even more walkable as time pass.

https://www.dmagazine.com/publicatio...ople-not-cars/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City