Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 09:30 AM

59 posts, read 53,849 times

Advertisements

Three cities that I know aren't known for walkability. However, curious as to hidden neighborhood gems, walkable commercial strips, etc. Does one of these cities have a more cohesive, urban fabric?

Feel free to post some Google Map links!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 03:59 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,517 times
^What Schitt'sCreek said.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:02 PM

272 posts, read 270,382 times
Walking around Phoenix in the summer is like walking across the surface of the sun. I would go with San Antonio.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:11 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,306 times
Dallas > Houston > San Antonio > Phoenix

Downtown San Antonio has the most historically preserved and tourist driven downtown of the 4, but certainly not the best for "walkable amenities" for residents. Honestly, that would be Uptown & Downtown Dallas. On top of that, walkability falls off the map outside of downtown San Antonio. It ends up being less cohesive than Uptown/DT Dallas.

Houston technically edges Dallas by a hair in Walkscore and for density, but has less pedestrian-friendly infrastructure overall. Because of that, Dallas is a more walker friendly and cohesive. There's noticeably more street-life in Dallas as well. Houston doesn't have much of an equivalent to the walkable strips/areas like Dallas's Lower Greenville, Knox St, Cedar Springs (Oak Lawn), Bishop Arts, Deep Ellum, etc. DT Dallas is also more connected to its surrounding neighborhoods than DT Houston is, especially with Uptown via Klyde Warren Park.

Phoenix is honestly a distant 4th.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:28 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
In terms of walkscore, Houston > Dallas > Phoenix > San Antonio

Old 08-26-2019, 07:15 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
I tend to agree with DTXman.
Houston and Dallas probably would be even in terms of walkable neighborhoods but I would give the edge to Dallas for the connectivity of these neighborhoods.

DTSA has points of interest but in terms of factors that contribute to walkability such as the built environment, ease of access to retail and public transit then both Houston and Dallas would outrank SA.

It's been a while since I last visited Phoenix but it seemed less conduisive to walking than SA. SA has done a lot in terms of creating an attraction for visitors but if you are a resident you are more interested in a short walk to get a gallon of milk over a picturesque tourist trap. You'd be surprised. Many people think SA residents sip magaritas next to the river on a daily basis. In actuality most people avoid that area like the plague. Saying that however, very near to it is the Pearl District which offers A more liveable experience. Those types of urban renewal developments can be found in all 4 cities so SA is not unique in that one.

Pearl is an awesome area, but the two other Texas cities have CBDs ringed with more of these areas than SA. Especially in Dallas. Houston is later in the game but these Downtown adjacent renewal projects are coming along quickly. It will be interesting to compare these cores after the next census to their populations in 2010.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:32 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,310 times
Default I would say Houston

Probably Houston is the most walkable of these. None of these places are bastions of walkability, Believe me I've lived in 2 of them and have been to all of them. You don't see crowds of people strollong down every sidewalk like in new york or even seattle. No, you wont see that in any of these cities. Especially in the heat of the summer.
I can remember living in Phoenix for 11 years and the only people outside in the summer AT ALL were either walking to their car or HOMELESS. Heck you wouldn't see anything alive outside there in the summer not even a fly. I don't know how anything could even survive there in the summer heat. I can remember opening the car door and it felt like I just opened the OVEN door instead of the car door. I mean you get a fresh blast of radiating heat when you open your car door. Everything you touch will burn you. You cant even sit down on anything that will burn you too. I remember going out to check the mail in bare feet. OUCH!, OUCH!!! EECH!! I burnt the heck out of my feet.
San Antonio around the river walk probably has the most foot traffic (all from tourism) and then maybe Uptown Dallas but as for all over the city I would have to say Houston. It has several areas with busy foot traffic plus it has the most riders of public transit.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:23 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Dallas has the most and downtown San Antonio being the best.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:33 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Dallas > Houston > San Antonio > Phoenix

Downtown San Antonio has the most historically preserved and tourist driven downtown of the 4, but certainly not the best for "walkable amenities" for residents. Honestly, that would be Uptown & Downtown Dallas. On top of that, walkability falls off the map outside of downtown San Antonio. It ends up being less cohesive than Uptown/DT Dallas.

Houston technically edges Dallas by a hair in Walkscore and for density, but has less pedestrian-friendly infrastructure overall. Because of that, Dallas is a more walker friendly and cohesive. There's noticeably more street-life in Dallas as well. Houston doesn't have much of an equivalent to the walkable strips/areas like Dallas's Lower Greenville, Knox St, Cedar Springs (Oak Lawn), Bishop Arts, Deep Ellum, etc. DT Dallas is also more connected to its surrounding neighborhoods than DT Houston is, especially with Uptown via Klyde Warren Park.

Phoenix is honestly a distant 4th.
San Antonio has a long list of walkable neighborhoods outside the CBD that are full of amenities. Over 10k residential units have been built in the urban core over the past few years with thousands more either under construction or in the pipeline. Southtown-King William, Pearl District, Lavaca, River North, Museum Reach, Midtown Brackenridge, Tobin Hill, St. Mary's Strip, St. Paul Square, Lower Broadway, Government Hill, Alamo Heights, and up and coming districts of Lone Star and Cattleman Square. Hemisfair Park is also being transformed into a walkable urban neighborhood for both residents and visitors.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 08-27-2019 at 10:14 PM..

Old 08-27-2019, 10:30 PM

59 posts, read 53,849 times
I don't know either city well, but when I check out Google Maps, it does seem as Dallas has denser, more walkable neighborhoods. Uptown Dallas and Deep Ellum look especially unique.

Are there equivalents in Houston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City