Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 08:39 PM

6,224 posts, read 3,635,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
Depends on what you're looking for...but I'd say Miami is setup the best for tourism.

Although, it appears you mentioned dive bars? There isn't a dive bar within 100 miles of Miami Dives do not jive with the culture there.

As others have mentioned, always consider New Orleans.
I've been to New Orleans already. I love it, but I don't want to go back for a few more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 02:34 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,428,117 times
Miami by miles

Old 08-31-2019, 07:16 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,469,674 times
My personal choice would be Miami. I don't know much about shooting ranges, but Miami has fantastic nightlife (especially if you are younger), amazing weather in February, amazing beaches for swimming, and plenty of cultural events -- the Cuban influence there is second to none.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:51 AM

17,564 posts, read 15,677,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
Depends on what you're looking for...but I'd say Miami is setup the best for tourism.

Although, it appears you mentioned dive bars? There isn't a dive bar within 100 miles of Miami Dives do not jive with the culture there.

As others have mentioned, always consider New Orleans.
Plenty of dive bars in the Miami area.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:56 AM

828 posts, read 657,062 times
Miami would clearly be the best choice of the three. Nice selection of bars and restaurants, both high end and less so. Has more cultural amenities than the other two cities for what you are looking for, plus has beaches. Biggest issue is prices will be quite high when you are going as it is prime tourist season.

I would put Austin in second place, but you had best hope that it not be rainy (was pretty rainy last time I was there and this made things rather boring). Most of the activities here tend to be more outdoorsy in nature, although Austin has a strong collection of restaurants and bars too (try Rainey St. but that is well established at this point) and has a scene that is a bit funky, although it is not as weird as the tagline suggests (Minneapolis is much weirder as a city IMO).

Atlanta would be my least desirable option of the three for a birthday trip, unless you know people who can direct you where to go. It is very important to have a car, as most of the better options are not in Downtown or Midtown (there are some places in both areas, but things tend to be more scattered). In terms of overall assortment of stuff, Atlanta is really underrated, but I don't think I'd find it user friendly as a tourist, and many people I know have complained about a lack of things to do there. For me, it is a bit different as I lived there for a short time so I got to learn where things are, but...you have to do your homework much more than in the other two cities IMO.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:55 AM

651 posts, read 480,131 times
Love Atlanta, but it's not really a weekend trip tourist type place unless there is a specific event you are going to.

Go to Miami.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:11 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,526,960 times
Miami would be the most interesting.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:54 AM

32,186 posts, read 34,890,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Has dive bars...in downtown Miami check out Mama Tried, Lost Boy and Jaguar Sun. The River area has The Wharf Miami—collection of indoor and outdoor bars with food trucks on the water. Wynwood has Wood Tavern.
I was going to say that Wynwood has a lot of those types of bars.

If you're looking for a younger, more "hipster" crowd in an area with a lot of pedestrian activity, then Wynwood is a good bet.

If you're looking for the more sophisticated rooftop scene, then Brickell is a good bet.

If you're looking for craziness, then anywhere south of Lincoln and North of 5th in Miami Beach is a good bet.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:39 AM

11,208 posts, read 7,265,597 times
Austin is the smallest of the cities, and Atlanta is more narrow with possibilities of the remaining two large cities. So that seems to leave Miami.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:44 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,732,206 times
Based on what you're saying I really do think New Orleans sounds like a better bet for you than Miami. The nightlife is wild and crazy but sounds more your speed and the food is significantly better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City