Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: US Cities with Most Dense Overall Downtown Skylines
Seattle 84 40.78%
Honolulu 15 7.28%
Portland, OR 3 1.46%
Phoenix 3 1.46%
Los Angeles 26 12.62%
San Diego 8 3.88%
Denver 6 2.91%
Dallas 14 6.80%
Houston 25 12.14%
Austin 11 5.34%
Atlanta 20 9.71%
New Orleans 5 2.43%
Nashville 10 4.85%
Minneapolis 20 9.71%
Detroit 9 4.37%
Boston 61 29.61%
Philadelphia 93 45.15%
Pittsburgh 31 15.05%
Charlotte 15 7.28%
Jersey City 15 7.28%
Other City 17 8.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 05:26 PM

3,524 posts, read 2,314,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
I think we all add them all together and get our impressions that way. Peaks for skyscrapers always add debt and aesthetics that will overall make a skyline more impressive.

Do any threads ask for which has a better skyline by skyscrapers alone? But we surely know one with supertalls will give a skyline a extra bang and boost impressiveness in scope.

Chicago's supertalls give it that oomph and even NYC's now newest skinny ones. I still just prefer Old NYC pre-60s skyline where the peaks were its glorious art-deco peaks.... Also though Freedom Tower is a impressive building for sure. Still seeing old movies etc, with the former Twin towers of the World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan.... just had ALL eyes instantly go there with that oomp and a automatic NYC no doubt and if anywhere in the world.
I agree with that sentiment but there are a good deal of people on this forum that for sure use numeric skyscraper count as the single metric on how grand/large they rate a skyline.

That being said, I’ve been to Philly, Boston & Seattle. Philly & Boston feel sizably larger and are significantly denser despite Seattle throwing up a new +400’ condo buildings practically every month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 06:30 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I agree with that sentiment but there are a good deal of people on this forum that for sure use numeric skyscraper count as the single metric on how grand/large they rate a skyline.

That being said, I’ve been to Philly, Boston & Seattle. Philly & Boston feel sizably larger and are significantly denser despite Seattle throwing up a new +400’ condo buildings practically every month.
Yes, no doubt that Seattle is the most impressive of this list for its momentum of densification, and certainly it's much closer to Boston and Philly on density than it was even 10 years ago. But some of it comes down to simple structural difference.

As much older cities, Boston and Philadelphia were simply laid out for density given that their downtown cores are about as tight as they come in the American context. Heck, Center City only has a grand total of 4 two-way streets. In a major downtown!

Old 09-03-2020, 07:22 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times
Quote:
Okay... and I've lived in all three of those cities also and Seattle to me feels significantly larger than Boston but not Philly, maybe it's the topography, but Seattle feels like a big metropolis in a way that Boston never did for me.

Here's another shot of Seattle I took today.

Cascades mountain range in the background, Queen Anne neighborhood on the left.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:37 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Okay... and I've lived in all three of those cities also and Seattle to me feels significantly larger than Boston but not Philly, maybe it's the topography, but Seattle feels like a big metropolis in a way that Boston never did for me.
Ha! That’s hard to imagine!

When did you live here? I recently spoke with a Scottish man who lived here in the 80s-90s. It was pretty wild; he didn’t know that Fields Corner is a Vietnamese neighborhood, and he moved away before the Big Dig was finished. A lot can change over time!

And here are some skyline photos so that my post is topical:

https://flic.kr/p/2jfQgqi
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...244302a4_b.jpg
https://flic.kr/p/2jk3MYL

Old 09-03-2020, 07:42 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
/null this post. Wrong forum.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:44 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
US Cities with Most Dense Overall Downtown Skylines-9cc2c0c2-160e-4258-867e-6481a376ce4a.jpeg

Boston a few years ago.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:50 PM

3,524 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post

Here's another shot of Seattle I took today.

Cascades mountain range in the background, Queen Anne neighborhood on the left.
Don’t get me wrong Seattle has a monstrous downtown for sure, but its a longggg way from being as built up as Boston’s core (Cambridge is a functional part of it whether we like it or not)

https://images.app.goo.gl/oyxy1pVaWqVsRf6z7

For size context... the POV of the first image is 2 miles from Downtown Boston and theres is Bellevue sized cluster of high-rises behind it at the BIMDC (Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center)

https://images.app.goo.gl/mmq1g839xLoMmoBD8

The Panorama shows off the entire urban core from the opposite end of the first picture

Boston is massive

Old 09-03-2020, 07:50 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Attachment 223443

Boston a few years ago.
And that photo is still missing about 6 400ft+ buildings, with 5 additional underway.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:51 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
/null this post. Wrong forum.
You know...you can just delete it..

Old 09-03-2020, 08:10 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times
Quote:
Don’t get me wrong Seattle has a monstrous downtown for sure, but its a longggg way from being as built up as Boston’s core (Cambridge is a functional part of it whether we like it or not)

https://images.app.goo.gl/oyxy1pVaWqVsRf6z7

For size context... the POV of the first image is 2 miles from Downtown Boston and theres is Bellevue sized cluster of high-rises behind it at the BIMDC (Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center)

https://images.app.goo.gl/mmq1g839xLoMmoBD8

The Panorama shows off the entire urban core from the opposite end of the first picture

Boston is massive
Mate, Seattle is a lot more than just the downtown too. Its surrounding neighborhoods are dense as well. Try driving on Aurora Bridge and looking left and right. None of that is in downtown. The city is built up on all the hills.

I stand by my statement that Seattle feels like a metropolis, Boston for various reasons does not. Notice you have to resort to aerial views for your photos of Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City