Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are in the "Rust Belt"?
Baltimore 20 29.41%
Buffalo 53 77.94%
Chicago 25 36.76%
Cincinnati 24 35.29%
Cleveland 56 82.35%
Detroit 65 95.59%
Philadelphia 18 26.47%
Pittsburgh 51 75.00%
Rochester 38 55.88%
Saint Louis 31 45.59%
Other 14 20.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 04:56 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,828,072 times

Advertisements

The biggest joke we have been playing on this thread is the one suggesting a university (Northwestern) about 2 miles north of a city limits (Chicago) and whether that university should count as being Chicago's.

For another thread, I did a google search into what are the largest cities in the world. I looked at numerous websites and not one gave me the information I wanted.

Seems nobody gives a flying whatever over the size of a city, a figure for all intents and purposes is meaningless.

The population used on all those websites is metropolitan population, the only one that has true meaning. What does city population tell you....other than who pumps water into your house, polices your streets and puts out an out-of-control fire. There is nothing organic about a city. Its population tells you nothing. Cities aren't real...but metro areas are. They are what they grow (or contract) to be

So, yes, I am more than comfortable in giving Chicago the campus at Northwestern. I'm comfortable giving San Francisco the view from the Marin headlands, Las Vegas the outside of the city Strip, Washington the Pentagon and Arlington cemetery. Hell, in giving Los Angeles Disneyland.

Chicago can claim Northwestern as its own. All it has to do is to convince Evanston to become part of the city. That's basically what Chicago and every other city has done downtown through the years...annex suburbs. And a careful redrawing of the northeastern IL map could allow Chicago to pass up LA as the second largest city (frankly we are getting tired of the San Fernando Valley failing to secede from the city, giving Chicago back its "We're #2" title without lifting a finger.)

Or maybe Chicago should look to Indianapolis or Miami as a model and incorporate all of Cook County (and for good measure, all the other counties in the metro area....even those in IN and WI) and #1 Chicago can sing "those little town blues are melting away, I want to be a part of it, Chicago, I L"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 06:14 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,622,386 times
All I know is that all of Upstate NY can qualify as Rust Belt...most of Pennsylvania can, too...

Western Mass like Springfield area can qualify...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City