Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2023, 01:23 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,222,031 times

Advertisements

I'm not very familiar with SF, but one factor that leads to SF being cosmopolitan "on paper" as said in this thread, is that it is a huge tech hub and that is probably the main thing that brings people all over the world there.

But aren't most of the Tech Firms in places like Palo Alto and San Jose?

I ask because I think that should be considered when comparing SF to Chicago in terms of which is more cosmopolitan.

I believe the financial centers and institutions of Chicago are IN Chicago. Same as the ones in NYC.

SF and the Bay as a Metropolitan area can certainly account for all the Tech activity, but how much of that is in SF proper by itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2023, 01:41 PM

441 posts, read 229,480 times
^Very true. Most of the companies in Chicago are actually in Chicago proper unlike SF miles away in Silicon Valley

Old 07-20-2023, 04:21 PM

253 posts, read 199,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think on either count, it's not a massive difference in "magnitude" in how cosmopolitan or how urban one is versus the other.

An interesting note about Victorian architecture is that Chicago also has a massive amount of Victorian architecture and has probably more variety and total numbers than SF and the Bay Area has. Remember, they both had catastrophic fires with SF having multiples of such and Chicago was a much larger city than SF and surrounding municipalities during the Victorian era. I think the differences are that SF has the Painted Ladies (with the bold colors mostly a 1960s and on embellishment rather than the original color schemes of the Victorian era itself) and that there's generally a lot less tree canopy on SF streets and home lots so you more often get an unobstructed view when taking pictures from further out.
You're right. Didn't think of that. There's like no trees in SF. So the architecture pops out more. In Chicago you really have to walk the neighborhoods to appreciate it. It doesn't show up in pictures from afar.

Old 07-20-2023, 04:35 PM

211 posts, read 120,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
You're right. Didn't think of that. There's like no trees in SF. So the architecture pops out more. In Chicago you really have to walk the neighborhoods to appreciate it. It doesn't show up in pictures from afar.
Chicago victorians are made from stone SF victorins are made from wood and a large number of them are on hills. SF's victorian architecture is more similar to the antelbellum south than most of the midwest's stock. California style victorians are generally rare outside of Cali.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:18 PM

1,350 posts, read 884,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestCoast714 View Post
Chicago victorians are made from stone SF victorins are made from wood and a large number of them are on hills. SF's victorian architecture is more similar to the antelbellum south than most of the midwest's stock. California style victorians are generally rare outside of Cali.
I know Milwaukee and the Twin Cities have a fair amount of wood Victorian homes

Old 07-20-2023, 08:50 PM

211 posts, read 120,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
St Paul definitely does

Milwaukee has some, but most are located in a rough area of town west of downtown, constantia or something I think.....

Others are scattered about though.

SF's are also unique though in that most of them are also row homes and the ones that aren't are usually spectacular mansions.

The strip of houses running down castro st towards noe valley and beyond are spectacular. I think Chicago has no answer, although SF has little answer to some of chicago's historic skyscrapers

Old 07-21-2023, 04:53 AM

253 posts, read 123,501 times
Wood Victorian homes are too prissy. Give me the solid, strong greystones of Chicago, on streets lined with trees - can't get enough of them!

Old 07-21-2023, 05:59 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,068,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
As does Detroit and Grand Rapids. Most Midwestern Victorian stock is wood actually.

Old 07-21-2023, 11:12 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
Yep, and likely some part of that has to do with the prevalence of above ground electrical and comms infrastructure in San Francisco even in some rather ritzy neighborhoods while Chicago with its alleyways tends to put them there or bury them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestCoast714 View Post
St Paul definitely does

Milwaukee has some, but most are located in a rough area of town west of downtown, constantia or something I think.....

Others are scattered about though.

SF's are also unique though in that most of them are also row homes and the ones that aren't are usually spectacular mansions.

The strip of houses running down castro st towards noe valley and beyond are spectacular. I think Chicago has no answer, although SF has little answer to some of chicago's historic skyscrapers
A lot of very urban cities have Victorian rowhomes as it coincides with the boom of a lot cities in a time period when attached SFHs were fairly common. Chicago's turn towards stone and opting towards small spaces between homes probably has a bit to do with fear of fires.

I do like that strip of houses, but I also like a lot of vernacular Chicago architecture though it's generally harder to take pictures of such for Chicago because Chicago streets tend to have much lusher and more prevalent tree canopies though it is nice on the ground level to walk among the trees. I think one thing I don't love about SF vernacular architecture are the garages.

Two cities with a good deal of very attractive neighborhoods and interesting vernacular architecture though Chicago as a much larger city during the era and without as great of a threat of fires has a lot more in number and in variety of Victorian style buildings.

Old 07-21-2023, 11:55 AM

253 posts, read 123,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I do like that strip of houses, but I also like a lot of vernacular Chicago architecture though it's generally harder to take pictures of such for Chicago because Chicago streets tend to have much lusher and more prevalent tree canopies though it is nice on the ground level to walk among the trees. I think one thing I don't love about SF vernacular architecture are the garages.

Another positive for Chicago is having power and media cables running down the alleys for the most part, and not streetside, marring the view of the front facades of the greystones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City