Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 06:47 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times

Advertisements

Both feel very urban, Chicago feels much more monumental with its impressive skyline, river, parks and grand museums on the lake.

I’ll say one thing for certain, Chicago is like 10 times cleaner than San Francisco. I was amazed when we visited early last summer. At least in the Loop I would describe it as the Singapore of the U.S.. One had to strain to find a speck of litter (and no poop whatsoever!) and hardly any homeless, drugged-out vagrants to bother you as is present throughout the city in SF. Chicago is a justifiably very impressive city and much safer feeling than the overblown bad press it gets which in reality is mostly limited to a few select areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 07:29 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
San Francisco is hugely underrated in urbanity, and is top-tier in its urban ranking, although Chicago is larger and has a larger traditional urban footprint due to its size.

Cosmopolitan is hard to gage. San Francisco has a larger international population, although Chicago is also top-tier in that category as well. The high-end, wealthy tech presence, I guess could boost it in the cosmopolitan category. The reputation for San Francisco being so dirty and unsanitary hurts it on that front, although Chicago's violent crime rep hurts it even more, so Chicago gets more urban and SF gets more cosmopolitan.

Chicago is no slouch in being cosmopolitan though. Especially the look and feel of the downtown neighborhoods, with tons of high-end condos, museums, parks, lounges and art studios, restaurants (including Michelin), lots of high net worth individuals living there (along with diversified industries-law firms, consulting, banking/private equity, tech, medicine).

Old 09-14-2019, 07:36 PM

330 posts, read 294,187 times
Been to both, although I have been to SF many more times than I have been to Chicago. I think Chicago overall is more urban. While the financial district/union square in SF is more dense than Chicago’s loop, the loop stretches to a significantly bigger area than the financial district.

As least for me, in terms of the overall cosmopolitan feel of the city, Chicago’s loop is probably only behind Lower/Midtown/Uptown Manhattan of NYC in this country.

But overall though, I still vastly prefer SF over Chicago.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:14 PM

809 posts, read 469,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Both feel very urban, Chicago feels much more monumental with its impressive skyline, river, parks and grand museums on the lake.

I’ll say one thing for certain, Chicago is like 10 times cleaner than San Francisco. I was amazed when we visited early last summer. At least in the Loop I would describe it as the Singapore of the U.S.. One had to strain to find a speck of litter (and no poop whatsoever!) and hardly any homeless, drugged-out vagrants to bother you as is present throughout the city in SF. Chicago is a justifiably very impressive city and much safer feeling than the overblown bad press it gets which in reality is mostly limited to a few select areas.
Chicago's downtown is cleaner but I would argue SF's residential neighborhoods are cleaner. There is no equivalent of the West and South sides in SF. Tourists in Chicago don't see that side of the city, which has been woefully neglected for decades. We should also factor in the lack of rain in SF and how the city needs to triple the size of it's street cleaning budget and increase civic pride (which it is doing).

Old 09-14-2019, 08:39 PM

257 posts, read 167,643 times
I'd go with SF, the blocks are smaller than Chicago's giant buildings and the density carries through beyond the highrise district.

However I think Chicago would be more livable than SF since it's medium density and much greener and cleaner.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:54 PM

330 posts, read 294,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Chicago's downtown is cleaner but I would argue SF's residential neighborhoods are cleaner. There is no equivalent of the West and South sides in SF. Tourists in Chicago don't see that side of the city, which has been woefully neglected for decades. We should also factor in the lack of rain in SF and how the city needs to triple the size of it's street cleaning budget and increase civic pride (which it is doing).
I would go further to say in terms of “niceness” of the residential neighborhoods, places in SF like the North Beach, Presidio, Nob Hill even Marin County are probably among the best residential neighborhoods in the whole country, rivals Santa Monica/Beverly Hills/Malibu here in LA and Upper West Side/Upper East Side of Manhattan, NYC.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:03 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Chicago gets more urban and SF gets more cosmopolitan.
Yeah, that's what I would say too. Though both cities are no slouches in either category.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:06 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
I'd say Chicago feels more urban and SF feels more cosmopolitan.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:45 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Yeah, that's what I would say too. Though both cities are no slouches in either category.
Aspects of SF are actually more urban than Chicago but Chicago has the edge for sheer volume of urbanity. Both are very cosmopolitan but I’d give SF the edge there.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:54 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
If we are talking CSAs, I would say that the Bay Area edges Chicagoland. In terms of urbanity and cosmopolitanism, Berkeley beats Evanston and there is no equivalent to Oakland in the vicinity of Chicago, but if it is city versus city: Chicago by a large margin. Much better nightlife, equivalent food, much better public transportation, and economies of scale. The Loop smashes downtown San Francisco. SF has the better Chinatown. Lakeview east is much more lively than the Castro. Ditto for Lincoln Park over Nob Hill. I am a middle aged gay guy. I really want to like San Francisco, but compared to Chicago, it always feels sleepy and provincial...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City