Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 09:25 AM

381 posts, read 349,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Bigger buildings mean more people...I would think that would mean more "hustle and bustle."
Maybe during work hours. But after 5pm. the "bustle" drops down dramatically.

In SF the fact that the whole city is so uniform and physically small, kind of forces everything to maintain a buzz throughout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 09:27 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Not a sliver of San Francisco is anywhere comparable to cleanliness as Chicago is. I mean, come on, California is suffering from our homeless epidemic and it's not anywhere near as bad in cities like New York or Chicago.

And Paris scale infrastructure? Not in a million years is anything in that city comparable to Paris! Never heard that before...... at all.
I never said SF was as clean as Chicago, quite the opposite. The beautiful built neighborhoods are still there but they are marred by the ever increasing affects of an untended and ignored population of mostly drugged-out, thieving homeless and a hollowed out, desperate middle class.

The city, like Paris, is very dense (of course not as dense nor built out of several hundred year-old European buildings) and is similarly made up more of the low-rise, six stories variety than the much more common 60 stories of Chicago.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:36 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
Maybe during work hours. But after 5pm. the "bustle" drops down dramatically.

In SF the fact that the whole city is so uniform and physically small, kind of forces everything to maintain a buzz throughout.
Yes, I was in San Francisco recently. Interesting, how much homeless "buzz" there is on the streets. I have pictures I should share. Actually, if pushed hard enough, I will.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Yes, I was in San Francisco recently. Interesting, how much homeless "buzz" there is on the streets. I have pictures I should share. Actually, if pushed hard enough, I will.
Why do you keep bringing up homeless? I can take you to parts of Chicago where there are homeless too.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
Why do you keep bringing up homeless? I can take you to parts of Chicago where there are homeless too.
Seriously, there is no comparison. Google San Francisco homeless, and research it...you'll see.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:54 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Bigger buildings mean more people...I would think that would mean more "hustle and bustle."
Youd think so but every source Ive seen on the internet and in every thread on this subject on CD says the biggest daily pedestrian count at either of these 2 cities is at Market and 4th in SF.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Youd think so but every source Ive seen on the internet and in every thread on this subject on CD says the biggest daily pedestrian count at either of these 2 cities is at Market and 4th in SF.
So, this should be based off of one corner?

Old 09-15-2019, 09:59 AM

330 posts, read 294,115 times
Quote:
Every city has homeless problems. SF has it, LA has it, NYC has it, Chicago has it, Tokyo has it, Hong Kong has it, London has it, none of the cities has exceptions. It is a problem faced by every city/every country.

If your judgement of SF as a whole is entirely based on what you see in Tenderloin, Mission and the Caltrain station, then you clearly don’t know the city.

Last edited by SnobbishDude; 09-15-2019 at 10:10 AM..

Old 09-15-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Seriously, there is no comparison. Google San Francisco homeless, and research it...you'll see.
Once again. What do homeless have to do with this topic?
There's vasts miles of land in Chicago where people are barely above homeless level. SF doesn't have that.
I've been to Tenderloin and yeah there's a lot of homeless. But I wouldn't feel all that great walking down Madison west of of Pulaski in Chicago with all the Wine-Os just chillin on the street sippin on 40z.

SF just sees it more because they are intermixed with tourist areas since the city is so small.

No one that visits Chicago goes to the west or south sides.

Yes, on paper... there's a lot more legally homeless people, but just because these addicts and wine-os in Chicago have section 8 housing to sleep in, doesn't make their aura any less different than those hanging out on the streets in SF

Old 09-15-2019, 10:01 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Who the hell cares? Im not ashamed of poor and homeless people, I feel sorry for them. SF is probably the only city to not give two****s what outsiders think in the first place, we're going to do us our way and that includes figuring out how to deal with the homeless.

Furthermore, I wouldnt be criticizing other cities' at all if I had the most murders in the country so it seems you have your own things to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City