Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 02:03 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Not a sliver of San Francisco is anywhere comparable to cleanliness as Chicago is. I mean, come on, California is suffering from our homeless epidemic and it's not anywhere near as bad in cities like New York or Chicago.

And Paris scale infrastructure? Not in a million years is anything in that city comparable to Paris! Never heard that before...... at all.
Yes, I chuckled at the San Francisco = Paris scale. Paris is orders of magnitude larger in terms of infrastructure and nearly everything else. Not comparable. And Paris is even one scale greater than Chicago (fun fact, I’m typing this from Paris).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 03:16 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Bigger buildings mean more people...I would think that would mean more "hustle and bustle."
Bigger buildings definitely does not mean more people, lol. Have you ever heard of Dubai?

Old 09-18-2019, 05:00 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Bigger buildings definitely does not mean more people, lol. Have you ever heard of Dubai?
Ugh..... Dubai has a population of 3.2 million, bad example.

Still the argument of a lot of giant buildings = more people is superficial at best

Old 09-19-2019, 10:49 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Yes, I chuckled at the San Francisco = Paris scale. Paris is orders of magnitude larger in terms of infrastructure and nearly everything else. Not comparable. And Paris is even one scale greater than Chicago (fun fact, I’m typing this from Paris).
I would argue that Paris is orders of magnitude more urban than both cities. In terms of structural density, population density, transit, walkability, Paris absolutely runs circles around both Chicago and SF.

Just as an example, with over 53,000 people per square mile, Paris would have about 12 million people if it were the same size as Chicago.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:11 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I would argue that Paris is orders of magnitude more urban than both cities. In terms of structural density, population density, transit, walkability, Paris absolutely runs circles around both Chicago and SF.

Just as an example, with over 53,000 people per square mile, Paris would have about 12 million people if it were the same size as Chicago.
The only American municipal that exceeds Paris is Manhattan. That being said Athens, Greece is just as dense as Paris with 670k living in 15 sq/mi, granted the density drops off a lot once the surrounding Greater Athens is including with "only" 3.2million in 159 sq/mi

Outside NYC, European cities as a whole are usually significantly denser than their American counterparts

Old 09-19-2019, 04:19 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post

Yeah, but that's not the point. The only U.S. city that meets Paris -- and exceeds it in most circumstances -- is NY. I just found the proposed equivalence of infrastructure between SF and Paris to be humorous.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:48 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Yeah, but that's not the point. The only U.S. city that meets Paris -- and exceeds it in most circumstances -- is NY. I just found the proposed equivalence of infrastructure between SF and Paris to be humorous.
Yeah, I agree. I was just saying it's an equally ridiculous comparison for both cities.

I imagine what that poster was trying to get at is that San Francisco's tighter urban fabric and narrower streets resemble Paris more than Chicago's streets and urban fabric, but Paris is so far ahead of SF in those areas that - again - it's a ridiculous comparison.

However, I don't think it would be totally off-base to say that San Francisco's compact urban fabric more closely resembles a typical European layout than Chicago's.

Last edited by Vincent_Adultman; 09-19-2019 at 04:57 PM..

Old 09-19-2019, 05:16 PM

567 posts, read 430,960 times
Although San Francisco is smaller than Chicago in population and square miles (46.7 square miles vs 227.63 square miles) it feels a bit more urban than Chicago IMHO.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:25 PM

552 posts, read 407,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
Although San Francisco is smaller than Chicago in population and square miles (46.7 square miles vs 227.63 square miles) it feels a bit more urban than Chicago IMHO.
If I trimmed Chicago down to 46 square miles and chopped down the many, many more skyscrapers to low-mid and high rises then spread them out lot by lot over that 46 square miles along with our housing/building stock what do you think the density of that landscape would look like?

Last edited by IronWright; 09-19-2019 at 06:41 PM..

Old 09-19-2019, 06:53 PM

552 posts, read 407,777 times
This is like comparing Chicago to Manhattan, Chicago's core is a couple tiers above San Francisco's in scale and volume, there's probably 4 downtown S.F's in Chicago's greater downtown. 20 years ago nobody would have mentioned San Francisco as Chicago's peer. I still don't know what transformation took place that boosted the confidence to this degree. Chicago still has 50+ high-rises/skyscrapres under constrcution at any given time. No gap has been closed here. I guess because San Francisco has greatly increased it's downtown footprint it gives the false sense that it equals Chicago but Chicago is also expanding at an even greater rate but it has much less visual or psychological impact. Philadelhphians have this same complex. It's like me completely ignoring the growth taking place in Midtown because the South and West Loop have doubled in scale so now I believe we are actually competing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City