Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2019, 03:29 PM

32 posts, read 33,783 times

Advertisements

I will be moving in about a year and need help deciding where to go. I currently live in Southern California and I hate it. It's too hot, too crowded, and too expensive, and people here aren't friendly or genuine (GENERALLY speaking, there are SOME good people here, but they are few and far in between) among other things.

I want to live somewhere where I'm surrounded by nature, the air's fresh, the water's clean, and somewhere between suburban and rural. I like the cowboy/country lifestyle, I am a dog trainer but I want to work with dogs and horses. I'm looking for an area with a large horse population. Price is a factor as I don't make very much money. I am 32-years-old, single, no kids. I would start off renting somewhere. My family lives in Vegas and I would like to be relatively close to them (a short plane-ride away). I don't mind a little bit of snow (a few inches that melts pretty quickly), but I can't deal with a ton of snow. I want to live somewhere with a strong community feel. Where people actually care about each other and are very neighborly. Um, what else? Lots of dog-lovers, horse-lovers, nature-lovers, etc. Thank you for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 07:18 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,421,730 times
whats your budget?Best of luck to you,OP.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:14 PM

1,098 posts, read 906,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaZ View Post
I will be moving in about a year and need help deciding where to go. I currently live in Southern California and I hate it. It's too hot, too crowded, and too expensive, and people here aren't friendly or genuine (GENERALLY speaking, there are SOME good people here, but they are few and far in between) among other things.

I want to live somewhere where I'm surrounded by nature, the air's fresh, the water's clean, and somewhere between suburban and rural. I like the cowboy/country lifestyle, I am a dog trainer but I want to work with dogs and horses. I'm looking for an area with a large horse population. Price is a factor as I don't make very much money. I am 32-years-old, single, no kids. I would start off renting somewhere. My family lives in Vegas and I would like to be relatively close to them (a short plane-ride away). I don't mind a little bit of snow (a few inches that melts pretty quickly), but I can't deal with a ton of snow. I want to live somewhere with a strong community feel. Where people actually care about each other and are very neighborly. Um, what else? Lots of dog-lovers, horse-lovers, nature-lovers, etc. Thank you for your help!!
No idea about most of your questions, but keep in mind the front range of Colorado where the majority of people live has pretty high air pollution. It's not as bad as LA, but I'll just say it's not 'fresh'.

If you want a community feel maybe somewhere like Fredericksburg, Texas? Although you'd have to deal with the heat. And you'd have to drive to SA or Austin for a decent airport. Not sure if the place you're looking for exists.

Self proclaimed dog lovers are everywhere. They're pretty much replacing children in a lot of areas

Old 09-16-2019, 01:58 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,421,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
No idea about most of your questions, but keep in mind the front range of Colorado where the majority of people live has pretty high air pollution. It's not as bad as LA, but I'll just say it's not 'fresh'.

If you want a community feel maybe somewhere like Fredericksburg, Texas? Although you'd have to deal with the heat. And you'd have to drive to SA or Austin for a decent airport. Not sure if the place you're looking for exists.

Self proclaimed dog lovers are everywhere. They're pretty much replacing children in a lot of areas
FBurg is pretty expensive by Texas standards.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:25 PM

1,056 posts, read 805,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaZ View Post
A man who was traveling came upon a farmer working in his field and asked him what the people in the next village were like. The farmer asked "What were the people like in the last village you visited?" The man responded "They were kind, friendly, generous, great people." "You'll find the people in the next village are the same," said the farmer.

Another man who was traveling to the same village came up to the same farmer somewhat later and asked him what the people in the next village were like. Again the farmer asked "What were the people like in the last village you visited?" The second man responded, "They were rude, unfriendly, dishonest people." "You'll find the people in the next village are the same," said the farmer.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:02 PM

1,098 posts, read 906,878 times
How about Grand Junction? Clean air, can't be too expensive. From what I can tell there's still a "rancher" mentality out there.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:55 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,164,780 times
I can't recommend anywhere on the front range of CO for you, without getting portions of the problems you have with southern CA. I was going to recommend Elbert County for you as it's a very horsey area, but I did a quick check on Zillow first and the prices are outrageous for what the place is.

Maybe Canon City could work or Grand Junction, but Wyoming sounds like a cleaner fit than CO for someone who works with animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City